1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Impatience doesn't lead to success

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Impatience spins the coaching carousel
    By Adam Schefter
    ESPN.com

Three years ago, the NFL found itself in a similar position to where it is today. In the days following black Monday, teams scrambled to hire head coaches to replace the ones they fired.

Cleveland hired Eric Mangini, Denver tabbed Josh McDaniels, Indianapolis named Jim Caldwell, Kansas City hired Todd Haley and Oakland named Tom Cable. St. Louis hired Steve Spagnuolo, San Francisco tabbed Mike Singletary, Seattle named Jim Mora, Tampa Bay hired Raheem Morris, Detroit announced Jim Schwartz and the New York Jets hired Rex Ryan.

The coaching class of 2009 has hardly distinguished itself. Of the 11 men hired to be the answer a mere three years ago, only three remain on the job, and one of those, Caldwell, still is on shaky ground. Otherwise, NFL owners have treated head coaches as if they were as disposable as yesterday's newspaper.

Something is wrong here.

In a society that craves results now, in a world that demands excellence every day, head coaches rarely are allowed the time they need to grow into the job and master it. Reminders of it come every year at this time. Head coaches are fired, head coaches are hired and the coaching carousel spins without producing in the ways NFL owners had hoped.

Every NFL owner who recently changed head coaches, or still is considering it, also needs to study his sport's history.

Hall of Fame coach Tom Landry did not make the playoffs until his seventh season as a head coach and he didn't win his first NFL playoff game until his eighth season in Dallas. Today he would have been fired twice over.

Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll did not make the playoffs until his fourth season, after he had compiled a 12-30 record during his first three seasons in Pittsburgh. He never would have made it today.

Hall of Fame coach Don Shula didn't win a playoff game until his sixth season as a head coach in Baltimore, and went 0-2 in the postseason during his first five seasons. He probably would have been fired before getting the chance to become Shula.

The rare teams with continuity -- New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New Orleans, Philadelphia and the New York Giants -- are allowed to operate efficiently while taking advantage of competitors that are not. But the teams that give their head coaches time, patience and, of course, a quarterback are the ones that find themselves playing in this postseason.

In today's world, everyone loves eating the turkey, but no one wants to wait around for it to cook. They'd rather microwave it. Unfortunately, it's not as tasty or savory, much like the seasons some of these unstable NFL franchises continually experience.

Just last month, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said he intends to hire a "young Don Shula." Doesn't every team.

The problem is, few do. Or maybe they actually do, but don't take the time to find out.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    There is a lot of truth in that, but sometimes staying the course and hoping for better results than those already witnessed is not prudent as well. Case in point: We were underwater on our condo. Bank wouldn't help us at all. We tried and tried and tried over and over to get some kind of relief, while the mortgage continued to skyrocket out of control. We did not want to foreclose, we wanted to save our home, but were met with opposition and indifference every direction we turned. After a year or so of pulling our hair out and not sleeping, we simply said FCUK YOU to the bank and walked away. 3 years later we are more financially stable than we have ever been and almost 100% debt free. At the time, yes, it was a total desperation move, but it worked out for the best. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I can't imagine where we'd be financially had we stayed and tried to save the condo. Probably bankrupt.

Sometimes "When life gives you lemons, just say 'F_ck the lemons,' and bail."

• Like Like x 4
  3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Impotence doesn't lead to success.

What? :p

Anyway I thin the Bill Belichick coaching tree has been cut down.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Not every case is exactly the same and any example using the Pittsburgh Steelers needs to be thrown out as they are the extreme opposite end of the spectrum. In the case of the Rams for example, firing Spag was BS. Three years, tons of injuries, an empty cupboard except for the last two or so drafts, the Rams couldn't logically blame things on their coach. You could possibly make a similar case for Raheem Morris. The rest, can you point to any who left their team in a better situation then when they got there?

And of course this is used as a basis for why it was good we kept Norv. That's BS. If we had this record in 2002 after over a decade of failure, and people demanded we fire Norv, there wouldn't be a valid basis behind it. With a very good team for three years now, with infinitely more talent (even less then it was in 2008-9) then those other hired coaches, you mean to seriously tell me that Norv didn't deserve to get fired? You get a prime team like this and are still unable to make it work, then its a valid time to fire.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Our D is NOT prime. At all. I wish people would stop saying how loaded we are. We're not. That ship has sailed. We need to reload NOW on the D before Rivers is too old to benefit from it.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Exactly. You need playmakers in order to win.

Offense: Rivers, Gates, Jackson, Floyd, Mathews, Tolbert.... etc.

Defense: What playmakers do we have...... Weddle and.......?

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    INCOMPETENCE DOESN'T LEAD TO SUCCESS

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Impatience helped the Niners--they eventually got their man off the carousel.
    Helped the Packers too if I recall--they gave their previous coach 5 years AND he got them to the playoffs and got fired. Those are two modern examples off the top of my head.
    I see that Schefter cited 3 examples from the 70s for patience paying off. The game, and how coaches approach it, is a bit different now.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Is this the voice of experience?

:D

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We're living in the land of immediate gratification.

11. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    The coaches he mentioned all came from the 60s and 70s. That was a complete different era in football. They didn't have free agency. Players used to smoke on the sideline. IF Adam really wants to make a decent argument than he needs to compare HC just got it done in less time. Jim Harbaugh, Schwartz, Marty, Ross, Gruden, McCarthy, Cowher. Sorry Adam, but your column is pointless and outdated. Good luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If you change the head, the arsehole will follow. This though, does take time it's not re-inventing the wheel, it's making it roll more efficient.

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I thought fans had stopped saying we are loaded with talent.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Ant just did in the post above mine, that's the reason for my reply. I should have quoted him. He's not the only one, I hear it all the time, not just here, but IRL as well. "This team is so talented"...no, it's not. Time to wake up.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    No kidding. You'd think we had been in a slow decline for the last 5 years.......:confused:

Watching the Texans/Bengals game right now, I'm more sure than ever that Norv Turner deserves to be fired for not making the playoffs with this team.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    The Texans and Bengals are both better.

Yeah, I said it. Why?

DEFENSE.

Our O would blow both of theirs out of the water, no contest. Now imagine we had Houston's or Cincy's D. Scary, right?

Please, don't get me wrong. I was 100% on the FIRE EVERYONE bandwagon, but it didn't happen, and unfortunately we have to live with NT & AJ for another season at least. So we need to address the biggest need, and that's all about the D.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I agree with everything you said execpt you forget one thing, it took our offense 11 games to turn it on. We choked away 4 or 5 games by settling for FGs early and often, and allowing teams either put games out of reach or catch back up because Norv was playing NOT TO LOSE.

The only difference between what we used to call "Marty Ball" and what Norv did this year, is Norv was doing it throughout the entire game.

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Not really, they still think the Chargers should run away with the division every year...... after all, the Bronocs, Chiefs, and Raiders suck. ;)

This "more talented" myth is based mainly on Rivers being our QB, and having some quality receivers. Sadly, the superiority of our roster basically ends there. Yes, Rivers is the best QB in the AFC West (expect when he plays like he did this year.... leading the NFL in turnovers). Gates (when healthy) is still the best TE, and Jackson and Floyd (again, when healthy) are the best WR tandem. Funny thing, those three were rarely on the field together this year, and Rivers had a very uncharacteristic mistake filled season.

When you look at the rest of the roster, things get very iffy. If you were to objectively build a team with the players from the AFC West, you wouldn't stock it with mainly Chargers players.

Would you pick the Mathews and Tolbert combo (both prone to fumble), over McFadden and Bush? If McFadden hadn't gotten injured, the Raiders would be in the playoffs instead of the Broncos. McGahee is a quality RB.

Dielman may be the best OG in the AFC West, but he was missing much of the year, and may not even come back. McNeill (though decent when healthy) is far from the best LT.... Branden Albert is clearly better. Gaither looks like a better LT option going forward. Hardwick is a smart vet, but he's not the most physical center. After that, the O-line is rather average.

The differences are even more striking when you look at defensive players. Who on our D-line would you take over Seymour? Our D-line is very average. Would you take either Phillips or Barnes (our best OLB pass rushers) over Hali, Wimbley, Dumervil, or Von Miller?

How 'bout safeties? Weddle is a keeper, but even he would get competition. What about Eric Berry at SS? Sure you'd pick him over any of our options. Tyvon Branch is also better than the likes of Gregory or Oliver. Our corners don't really stack up well. Even in his prime, Jammer wasn't as good as Champ Bailey...... he certainly isn't now. Who wouldn't take Brandon Flowers over any of our guys?

I could go on and on, but what's the point? The facts are simple...... the Chargers only have elite talent at a very few positions. The majority of the Chargers roster is filled with average players, nothing more. The "most talent team in the league" moniker is a joke. This team is nowhere near the most talented team in the NFL. Fans need to wake up to reality. AJ Smith's 5 year streak of poor drafts has left this team a shadow of it's former self.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Can't disagree with that at all.

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Oh yea!! I forgot the Raiders and Cheifs are supposed to still suck.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    But Bluey - it's SOOOOOO much easier to blame it all on the coach. ;)

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are right. But we did have enough talent to win the AFCW by 2-3 games if they were mentally stronger and better prepared

23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    You covered every position except ILB and STs ;)

24. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    No, we didn't, or we would have.

It is what it is.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    And fun :D

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I had a keyboard cramp and decided enough was enough. ;)

27. QBGuru

QBGuru BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree about owners being quick to pull the trigger on coaches. There is a lot to be said about continuity.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We did, and didn't because they were poorly prepared and the game plane was terrible in more games than not

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    5 years is not quick. That is plenty of time, especially when the results from that coach have gotten worse every one of those 5 years

• Like Like x 1
  30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And yet there was a cry from many for Cowher .... or Fisher.

Riddle me that, Batman. :confused: