1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Importance Of Fatboy Depth

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lunatic Fringe, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm not sure how well you guys are set as far as OLine and DLine depth but Andy Reid's love affair with the big fatboys has saved our butts this season. He loaded up with 10 active O-Linemen and at least 8 D-Linemen in our 4-3 scheme. We lost Shawn Andrews and Shane Andrews early on, followed by Herremans and Jason Peters. Where would these birds be without those extra bigboys? We even had to take a chance and plug in on one of your own SoCal guys, Winston Justice (he of the infamous 10/11 sack debacle against the Giants a couple of years ago). He never quit, we never gave up on him and now he's been extended.

I know you guys took a huge hit when you lost Jamaal Williams and you also suffered all those injuries against the Raiders along your O-Line in game #1. I honestly have no idea how you hung in there from what I saw of your early season roster after those injuries. Your coaches did a fantastic job of keeping things from falling apart until your unit could find some level of cohesiveness.

I know Big Jon is going to help you, his leadership alone is priceless. He's also nasty and that should fit in with Dielman.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Fat boy depth has been the crux of this team's woes, but they are doing a great job hanging in there despite it.

I'm very happy with the signing of Runyan. As long as he stays healthy he should be a great addition.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Like Leo said - it's been an issue all year for us, especially in light of us keeping 6 safeties & going thin on the fatties.

Couldn't be happier to see Runyan coming on board. Hell - I've been telling strangers about it all day. :lol:

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Every year we cry "draft beef"! :lol: No matter what we do we can never have enough beef!

[​IMG]

5. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    When healthy, the Eagles will have the best O-Line in the league. The Andrews Bros. (335 lbs. and 342lbs.), Jason Peters (340), Jamaal Jackson (330 at center!), Todd Herremans (321), plus crazy good depth with Max Jean-Gilles (358!), Winston Justice (320), King Dunlap (6'8'' 310), and Nick Cole (6'0'' 350).

That's BEEF!!!! Why the hell don't the Eagles run the ball? Why is their short yardage so bad? These guys aren't just big, but talented. Oh, when they are healthy that is...

6. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Why don't we run the ball, INDEED! What really ticks me off is our lack of using free agent pick-up, FB Leonard Weaver 250 LBs in short yardage. Another confusing thing is why McNabb is so ineffective doing sneaks. He's a stout QB! Maybe these O-Linemen are TOO big and maybe not athletic enough? Who knows :icon_shrug: