1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Importance of two starter quality backs!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sd-local, Jan 19, 2007.

1. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    So now that it's offseason, for us, I want to really look into the trade Michael Turner/not extend him school of thought for a minute...

We must all take into consideration how every single team in the championship round is rotating backs. NE with Dillon and Maroney, Indy with Rhodes and Addai, CHI with Jones and Benson and NO with Bush and McCallister. Pretty compelling evidence right there to keep LT and Turner together as long as possible don't you guys think???

On a side note, although I feel we may take a small step backwards by losing Cameron whom at some times could be very creative and effective, i really hope our new OC will use urner, or any capable backup more than Cameron did. I can think of many opportunities we had to win games by running out the clock and we got three dive plays with LT. I love LT as much of any of you guys, but he is not a power running back, we all saw what happened at Kansas City last year. I think more Turner=more production for everyone involved....

Comments?

2. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I can sum up our need for Michael Turner in two words:

"Madden Curse".

3. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Usually the guys on the cover have been the ones supposedly cursed.

How can anyone not like having Turner as a backup alternative to LT? It's a good 1-2 punch. In addition, it is good to have a reliable RB in case the other gets injured. Here the A-train filled in nicely, behind a mediocre O-line, for McGahee when Willis got injured. I call it insurance in some ways.

Keeping Turner means retaining a good offensive weapon behind a weapon of mass destruction and Rivers. Perhaps a receiver who can catch the ball reliably, other than Gates as seen against NE, will help the offensive woes that happen when least needed.

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,058
    I would love to be able to keep them both. Turner is going to want starter $$$$$$$, can you blame him. He would be able to start for 3/4's of the teams all ready.

I don’t know if we will be able to swing it financially to keep them both.

But then on the other hand, we will find out what’s important to him, a super bowl ring, or the $$$$$$.

With him and LT, we could have the best 1 – 2 punch in the NFL, and both of their careers could be extended because of that rotation between them.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    Giant are reportedly interested in Turner as the replacement for Barber. Good for Turner, good for us. AJ has shown that he knows how to fleece the Giants but good!:icon_twisted:

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The Jets are rumored to be interested as well.

I dig the **** out of Turner but lets face it, he is gone after this season. The Chargers will not extend a starters contract to the kid so we may as well get something in return versus nothing.

The Chargers can tender FOUR possible offers from high to low. The number one tender is around ~$2.2 million for one year. Here is the compensation we get according to the tender offers:

1. Nets us a 1st and 3rd Round pick
    2. Nets us a 1st Round pick
    3. Nets us a 2nd "" ""
    4. Nets us a 3rd "" ""

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If the Jets are indeed serious, then give us Jerricho Cotchery WR (Rivers old speedster teammate) and a Day One draft pick (First or a Second).

That **** would rock. :yes: :helm1: :bolt2:

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Why would the Jets never do it ? :icon_shrug:

Sign MT ?

Now you are the idiot.

If we have two number one picks because we trade Turner, then we could bundle them to get the speedster WR whats-his-name Calvin whatever and you get wet panties. On second thought, the leisure kiss of death comes into play. :icon_eek:

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Ya mis-interpreted what I posted ya doof. We already have one first round pick and if we get another first round pick for Turner that = TWO 1st round picks.

I know nobody will give up two firsts for Turner all alone....that is beyond fuggin stupid.

10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    So lets Keep LT off the cover then

11. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Turner is gone. No way he will re-sign to stay a backup when other teams will offer him a featured back role. Ain't gonna happen. I see three possible solutions.

1) Offer him a 1st round tender, no other team matches.
    a) so we keep him one more year and he's free to walk next year.
    b) use him to move up in the draft. Per RMancil

B) Offer him a 2nd Round tender, and another team signs him.

Odds are really against us getting a first round pick regardless of how good Turner is. C. Martin got a 1st and 3rd but he was coming off a pro bowl year and Dillon got a 2nd Round pick.

How about Turner and our 2nd or 3rd for the Giants 1st? Giants are in a desperate position with Tiki's retirement and they are already a playoff caliber team so it's in their interest to get someone with a proven track record instead of a prospect. Turner's record is limited but he's shown enough to let other teams know what to expect from him. Who knows the Giants may make a run at Ricky Williams if he's on the block.

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I agree with the dual back theory. Turner is a serious late game weapon.

The goal is SuperBowl next year. We must bring the weapons to bear to make this happen.

Make him a first round tender. If no one takes it we got him one year to help take us yard. Somebody takes him we got a sweet draft. This is a no brainer to me. If something happens to LT during '07 (god forbid) we can still sign him a long term deal and we have signaled his value to him by making a first round tender.

Signing him to a multi-year now is just fine with me also, but don't realistically see this happening.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. covets draft picks and to give them up requires us to get a starter (Roman Oben) otherwise a second or third sacrificed for a first in exchange is too much of a gamble. I would be tempted with a fifth or sixth round draft pick to give in exchange for a first and Turner going bye bye.

14. Flea Soda

Flea Soda BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    We'll have to get someone... has Perkins really shown anyone anything exciting? Pinnock is athletic, but isn't he stooopid?

We need a back that can wear down a defense and get tough yards like Turner..

I sure hope he stays... but if not, I'll enjoy watching him wherever he plays..

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +610
    Turner is good, but for the Chargers he is only a good backup, for other teams (with no good rbs) he will be a good starter

I'd take a first rounder for him and draft wr and safety in the first round or move up and get a better wr

16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,058
    We all have seen him play so you are preaching to the chior.

And on the other hand, just like when Brees left and everyone complained when we did not get anything in return for him.

He has trade value right now, and we can whip those teams into a frenzy.

17. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    one he said they give us one 1st rounder, and two no one gave us that cause no one knew how his shoulder would turn out

18. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    We need patrick willis. Patrick Willis is only 21 years old fuc and he already looks like he has HOF potential. Get Donnie and Godfrey the fuc out of here and with Willis we will have Derrick Thomas, Lawrence Taylor Tedy Bruschi and Ray Lewis in our linebacking corps. Yes leisure it is ok to cream your pants.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    the reasons to allow turner to go for a first
    1. We could use an extra draft pick for depth
    2. Next year we won't get jack for him
    3. This is a good time as this is a very weak draft and FA class of RBs (with Ahman Green being the top FA and peterson, with all of his concerns and questions, at the top of the draft a big falloff after him)
    4. There's the possibility of picking up a good replacement day 2 or in FA.

Why would turner go for a first rounder?
    1. Turner has a great mix of speed and power
    2. Turner is proven even though he hasn't played much
    3. Weak draft and FA running back class
    4. There are teams in need of a #1 back who will want to acquire him
    5. AJ is good

20. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

Yes, but if you're dishing out that kind of money don't you want it going to a starter vs a backup?

21. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    What ever's best for the team, I just hope we can keep him...

22. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I am intrigued by this Patrick Willis also as a replacement for Donnie. Do you think he would be there if we don't move up?

23. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I know Sproles hasn't showed much (or been given much of a chance)....but he should be healthy next year, and who knows maybe our next OC sees him as a good change of pace for LT.....the kid was incredibly productive in College. My point being its not as if we have ZERO if Turner can be dealt.

I think the time is now to get something for Turner, the FA Market is thin, not too many studs coming out of college....and we have potentially both NY Franchises bidding for Turner........I do asee a first round pick coming out of those conditions.

If we can deal him and get the safety we need, its more important than holding onto an insurance policy that ends after next season.

Get R Done AJ:icon_toast: :abq1: