1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Impossible to turn this season around?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Workplay, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Before this season started, I was more exited than ever for our Chargers. Then we started 4-1, and I knew we were phony. The more I watched, the more I realized that this team is all about the satus quo, we will only play to our opponents level, (or just below) but not better. We play "safe." We won't blow anybody out this year, but we won't get blown out either. It's disappointing. It's frustrating. Most of all, it's boring and predictable football.

What if we didn't spot the Packers two touchdowns? Would we have beaten them? No. We would have played just below their level, and we wouldn't have scored anywhere near 38 points that day even though we had the talent and skill to do so. We would have lost 24-28, or something to that affect.

Is it possible to turn things around and finish strong with a winning record? Absolutely! Will we? Probably not. That said, I feel I have a rock-solid outlook for the rest of this season; We should pick up wins in the next two weeks against the Broncos and Jaguars, but then we face the Bills, Ravens, Lions and Raiders. I see us finishing either 7-9 or 6-10, but 5-11 is most definitely not out of the picture.

2. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Not impossible, but even for a homer now they'd probably say it was unlikely.

You look at the schedule and see what should be a W against Denver, but then on form they are playing better than we are somehow.

Then you see teams like the Lions and Bills and wonder if their wheels are falling off, but another look in the mirror and a flashback to 4-1 and you realize that we are the biggest "wheels have fallen off" story in the league.

It's a shame because this team can and should do better, but unless something changes it won't. I'm a believer in redemption though, so i really want to believe this team can turn it around.

There's probably a few people out there of the opinion that missing the playoffs would be worth it in the big picture if it cost Norv his job and forced changes to come.

• Like Like x 4
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Agreed

Not impossible but unlikely

I said it was impossible in 2008 after going 4-8, so I refuse to say impossible until it is impossible

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Moses already said it all.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    It's just annoying, like come on Norv you got this the wrong way around, you're supposed to stumble to a 2-4 start, then turn the heat up, not roll out at 4-1 then get colder than a polar bear in the 4th quarter of every game after that.

Have we been taking 4th quarter tips from LeBron James or something? It's hugely frustrating to see a team doing everything they can to lose a game in every single 4th quarter for weeks in a row. Even the games we won we nearly messed them up in crunch time.

Fumbling a snap in FG range for the win, throwing an INT on a throw out of bounds play, turning backwards and running the other way until you fumble, you just can't make this stuff up, and the list goes on...

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yes. It is impossible. :poop:

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We can't even find the turn signal.

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Sure know how to use the brakes though.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Is that the brakes or just sputtering to a halt?

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I kid...

I can't think of any player in the NFL who has regressed more than Rivers this year.

He's cost this team the chance to win at least 4 games that I can think of:
    KC, Chicago, GB, Jets.

Not to say they would have won those games, but he made some really bad decisions either at the beginning or end of those games that were killers.

If we're looking to lay blame on someone right now, it should be squarely on this guy.

So the truth is that he is still this team's only HOPE of winning.

Impossible? No. But I don't see anything in him right now that indicates he's gonna pull out of this nosedive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Holy **** your avatar rules. :roflmao:

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I just can't take this kid right now.

His mama must be so ashamed.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Careful now - we don't want to upset our draft guru matilack by dissing his boi. :rolleyes:

15. Boltz

Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    We are 4-6, the Raiders are 6-4. We play them in Week 17. We stink and so does our head coach, but no team in this division is real good. I can see us going 3-2 in our next 5, making us 7-8, while the Raiders go 2-3, setting up a 7-8 vs 8-7 battle in week 17, winner goes on, and somehow, somehow we win and win the AFC West for the 2nd time in 4 years at 8-8.....then lose in the 1st round to Baltimore

16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Chris Johnson?

• Like Like x 4
  17. Boltz

Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Ironically my top 4 fantasy draft picks this year were 1. Chris Johnson 2. Philip Rivers 3. Reggie Wayne and 4. Mike Williams, 4 of probably the top 5 or 6 regressing players in the NFL this season. Needless to say my team is 1-10

18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Really? I think it's pretty sad. As much as I am disappointed in the team and some of the players, it wouldn't occur to me to disrespect players on the team this way. But hey, maybe it's just me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    CJ2.5K? C'mon, he can still hit his 2,500 goal if he just averages
    332 yards over the final 6 games.

(Rex Ryan says CJ would've already done it, if Rex were the Titans' coach!)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Improbable, not impossible.

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Sure, he's a front runner. But nobody has more riding on their performance than Rivers. And in year's past he's never been the primary reason his team lost. So I'm going by not just numbers, but overall impact.

And Ryan is a big boy. He can take it. He grew up in the back of a Cadillac in Bakersfield. Certainly he learned to have a thick skin. Now we just need him to learn how to hang onto the ball.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    You can move a mountain with enough faith, just remember to bring your shovel.

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    For me the question isn't whether Mathews can take it.

It's "Does this make sense, on any level?" "Does this Charger really deserve this?"
    or--if it's supposed to be funny--uh, what's the joke exactly?"

I would expect this from a Raider fan, maybe.

24. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

I don't have faith that we can beat any team in football right now.

If we played the Colts tomorrow I'd put money on the Colts.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    And I wouldn't expect you to get it.

26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    By all means, nickel, explain

27. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    LT is a free agent after this year.. I would accept him here to help RM24 out man.. LT seems to be that guy now in NY.. even though Shonn Greene hasn't been productive.. but that whole team hasn't..

What do you guys think? He's surely thinking about retiring the next 2 years.. I think he said he will defiantly retire a Charger? Idk.. I'd take him though for a 2 year 4 million contract or 1 year 2 million..

28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    I loved LT when he was here...but his time has passed.
    Also, as you point out, he hasn't been the most successful 'mentor' either, for younger guys.
    Lastly, LT burned some bridges here...no chance he's in bolts until his day in Canton...

p.s. Ryan, I'm guessing you intended to ask if LT would "definitely" retire as a Charger, but, actually, I think "defiantly" may end up being true as well. ;)

29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,585
  30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No - but I would take a REAL blocking FB.