1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Impressions; 3rd Pre-Season Game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 24, 2013.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    • It was nice to see all the facets of the team working together better. Special Teams looked fantastic (amazing what happens when your #1 ST group is in there), defense had a good game and offense looked the best it has this pre-season
    • If Mathews can stay healthy and hold onto the ball, he'll do very well this year. First fumble, gotta make sure he doesn't have more.
    • That was one of the weirdest TDs I've ever seen; but on the positive it's nice to see things going in the Chargers' favor for a change
    • Rivers did look alot better, I imagine he'll be even stronger when the playbook is opened up and Floyd returns. Little concerned that neither Allen nor Brown could really get open. Rivers' only interception I don't blame on him.
    • OL had a very very strong game, I liked what I saw and this is your starting unit; Dunlap-Rhinehart-Hardwick-Clary-Fluker
    • Thomas Keiser, have a day. Here's a man that just made the roster
    • Bird looked better but I still don't understand why Smith didn't run with the first team
    • Whittaker has made the roster in some capacity, Chargers have a nice deep backfield to play with
    • I'm done with Meachem; it's not just the price its the ability to get open which he doesn't have anymore
    • The Chargers are going to carry 3 QBs, love how CBJ has come so far in such a short period and I love Sorensen's laser arm.
    • Geathers has made the team no question, guy is a beast
    • I maintain the team has run a very vanilla scheme throughout because they don't want to tip their hand. I'm really really intrigued for the first game

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Green needs to run with the ones and needs the ball!!!! period!

I agree I love how well the O line is playing.

Geathers is a beast, also found this little tidbit of info very interesting

Thats a nice little group to be categorized with regardless.

I would also like to point out, although some performed better than others, overall very good outing by our 2nd and 3rd team offense and defense against AZ's number ones

Rivers looked a lot more comfortable (although I still would like to see him connect with his wr's more, preferably Brown) It was a shame TuTu got hurt as he seemed like the guy Rivers favored tonight.
    I too am hopeful that they may be hiding a few things until the regular season. Otherwise we're in for another loooooooong predictable season.

Kudos to the 1st team ST's

Keiser, Gachkar, Scaffe, and Smith brought the thunder.

Freeney and Johnson are going to make a lot of QB's very discouraged this year.

Defenseive 1's showed another very good outing overall. All this without Luiget (which I really wanted to see, I feel he may be one of our best players and wanted to see how the rest of the team could handle the game if he were to miss some time) We even saw an English sighting.

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    Freeney............ wow. Plz God he can remain healthy he's our pass rush, 3-4 my ***. Tutu comes in off the street tuesday and is Rivers preferred wideout target over Allen and Brown, WTF!!?, that is ridiculous. Clary got beat for a big sack again, but overall even with the 2's in there pass protection is mightily improved. I'm with B4L get Green in there with the 1's for chrissakes, guy gets open and catches the ball.

4. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Loved the up tempo offense and the fact that it gave PR more time to audible. For basically his first showing, he seemed a competent field general.
    I'm really down on RM over that fumble though. He played a very good game otherwise, but bonehead plays like that can cost games.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I'm still trying to get used to the fact that Rivers actually has time to get a play off but then it all seems to stop there. Does anyone in the Charger organization know that it's legal to use wide receiver's during the game?. Nilla Vanilla, and I sure hope that's not all they have to show, Tutu did well for a spell but ended up in the MASH unit. The up-tempo is great but for the sour notes they can't seem to avoid have got to be cleaned up.

The defense should look much better when they start playing schemes rather than straight up, there is some quickness in the second level to stop 3rd downs just need to wrap up and contain at the spot of contact. The DB's better start fighting off the blocks and playing through to the ball or they will be picked apart all season. The run game? holy smokes, make a stop then give back twice as much the next play isn't going to work out in the long run. Speed, space and playing through blocks might help tighten up the net but you'll still have to draw it up to make the catch.

6. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    Green is a mutha f***in playmaker put him with the ones!!

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Yeah it is really strange to watch Rivers not take 7 step drops and launch 30, 40, 50 yards down field. It used to be all of our completions were 1st downs, now we're throwing a lot of passes for the simple 5 yard gains to make 2nd and 3rd down shorter.

8. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +247
    If that takes pressure off of the pass protection and keeps Rivers from getting killed then I am OK if we do that all day long!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,402
    Patrick suffered another concussion...... that's two in two games (had a mild one vs the Bears). Marshall's signing didn't come a moment too soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,147
    Ant;

It was great to see you back in SD, and to meet up with the folks from BFTB. I enjoyed watching the special teams play, and the new look on offense. Could be very interesting this season...

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +252
    Maybe with Green's emergence and Gates looking a bit like Gates again, we will see some 2 receiving TE packages . I also quite like the Phillips pickup, we have a nice underrated TE group.

Also agree about Kwame, he looks strong!

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I don't even know what that means!

I mean, it sounds like an insult to Meachem...but why so inscrutable?

If McCoy really thinks Meachem is a turd who won't play any significant role in the 2013 offense,
    why throw to him at all in a crucial 3rd preseason game, where you need to be making
    decisions on who gets cut in the next few days?

14. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +494
    You answered your own question.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    What's he supposed to say?

McCoy didn't mince words with his wide out "I'm sorry but the former administration paid this scrub how much? Dear God he can't get open, he can't run very well, his routes suck! I brought in a guy whose name I couldn't pronounce on a request from my QB, who doesn't like Meachem either, and threw him into the starting line up over this guy!"

Yeah he might be thinking that no way he'd say it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    It could mean one of two things

A) Our team (talking about the ones) looks and plays better when Meachem is not on the fied

B) We need play makers (sorry, that was hard to type with a straight face) out there at all times, so we wanted a veteran like Meachem out there teaching our guys how to play.........................

I'm going with option A :whistling:

17. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +247
    You forgot option C) AJ was desperate to keep his phony-baloney job and threw a wheelbarrow full of money at a number of "players" either couldn't play, wouldn't play or got "old' overnight. McCoy has seen Meachem's value: Playing in garbage time so a WR that has a chance of making the roster won't be taken out by some no-name trying to make another team's roster by blowing up a WR. If he makes the roster it will be because we don't have 3 WR's we can dress for a game due to injuries.

As a desperation move, I hear Meachem tried to take over for Whitehurst...but he dropped the clipboard.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Meachbum got himself a mess of scrambled eggs, he don't need to work no more!!!!!

19. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Silly but...is there a site that has the game stream? A link?

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Will be replayed on NFLN tomorrow.

21. Steven01

Steven01 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Meachem needs to be released salary cap hit or not

• Old Old x 1
  22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Joy: Um...does it count as "answering my own question" if I still don't understand?

Ant: I've been lied to by 15 Charger coaches...I'm fine with that. And if it's done to be
    diplomatic, better still. But usually I can comprehend the b.s. This is one of the silliest
    responses I've ever seen: I half expected him to follow it up with:

"When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to sit on the 50 yard-line..."
    McCoy's "answer" should be on Jeopardy:
    "I'll take 'Answers That Could Fit Literally Any Question Asked About NFL Team Protocol' for 200, Alex."

Bolts4: As I said initially, yes, I think he was poking Meachem...but why give him snaps then,
    when you desperately need to see the other WRs shortly before a rapidly-approaching cut-down date?

Cheap: I was under the impression that Meachem's contract dictated that he would be on the roster, regardless.

Hex: Mmmmmm...eggs...

(sorry guys, I don't know how you do that fancy-pants little trick where you quote & respond to multiple messages in one post)

24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Steven, are you insane?!?

Meachem has a history of success. He is a 3rd best receiver coming out of high school. He is a First round pick coming out of college. He is having a solid 2013 training camp. He has had better season between 2008-2012 than Malcolm Floyd; Look at the stats. Meachem is in his prime. The current chargers receivers don't have the resume that is even close to Meachem. MEACHEM IS THE BEST RECIEVER (sic) ON THE CHARGERS ROSTER...

or so a little (concussed) birdie told me...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,402
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Does this mean Phillips has a nose for the endzone?:)

27. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,147
    Gates should get the game ball for this one, he out-did everyone in getting to that ball first.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,402
    90% of life is just showing up (at the right time). ;)

29. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,147
    ^^^ And I wouldn't be surprised if #49 got cut from the Cards (no pun intended) for helping to produce that debacle...

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Watching this game again (condensed version)...some further more small detail notes...

- Cam Thomas didn't seem to give 100% on every play, but when he did he made impact plays.
    - Jarrett Johnson lost outside contain a few times, very very unusual for him. His pass rushing was good though.
    - Marcus Gilchrist is far better in coverage than in the box, got lucky on that dropped TD though.
    - Vincent Brown was open all night, sometimes Rivers didn't see him, sometimes it was called back for holding, sometimes the play was broken up by pass interference....this could have easily been a coming out game for him.
    - Mathews vision has improved a lot in the backfield, probably because of the scheme.
    - Jeromey Clary is failing at RG, multiple times he was beat last night, one time doubled a guy with Hardwick only to let someone else run right through his gap...rookie mistakes.

- DJ Fluker had a very good all around game. He only got beat once that I saw, and that was when they sent Tyrann Mathieu on a stunt. He baited Fluker to take the edge only to cut back inside, Clary picked it up but it led to Rivers' getting hit and throwing a pick. I'm gaining confidence in this guy.

• Like Like x 1