1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

In case you guys missed it...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BossChief, Oct 28, 2009.

1. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    As much as I hate to be a wet towel and sound like I'm defending the Raiders all in one shot, I really don't get what the big deal is about this.

So he ate a hot dog, so what? It's not like he was showboating or pointing and laughing.

How is eating a hot dog any different than drinking gatorade on the sideline? Because it's food?

Apparently he didn't eat much before the game and was famished. Poor decision, yeah, but whatever.

3. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    for the sake of arguement, how would you take it if Merriman was on the sidelines eating nachos while the offense is out there?

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Or using cell phones or laptops or twitter .... the list goes on of **** not real cool to do when you are a professional athlete on the sidelines.

It was funny as all get out seeing someone mac'in out during a game. :lol:

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    with or without onions???

:icon_shrug:

:flag:

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Makes me hungry just thinking about it. :yes:

7. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    mmmmmmmmmmm nachos mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Attached Files:

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Nachos might be different because that's something he'd be sitting there snacking on.

Sanchez got a hot dog and tried to be discreet while quickly eating it because he was hungry.

9. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I wonder if he is diabetic...?

10. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Is that the same thing as being a cry-baby, toss-your-teammates-under-the-bus, and force a trade guy? :icon_shrug:

11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Reality of the whole story is that he was sick during the week, (flu?) and didn't have a chance to eat until he was literally in the game and needed sustenance. Of course, comedians and the pundits at ESPN tout it as a sign of disrespect, because it implies that not only can anyone beat the Raydurs, but that they can actually enjoy a hot dog while playing them... I still think it's funny that he was trying to hide the hot dog, no pun intended.

Pointy :icon_rofl:

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Oh! Nice! So, he has to be eating nachos just because he's Mexican.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Mark Sanchez buys hot dogs for soup kitchen
    Posted by Michael David Smith on October 28, 2009 11:59 AM ET

If the ridiculous controversy over Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez eating a hot dog on the sideline during Sunday's game can't go away, at least Sanchez is making the most of it.

The Jets announced on Twitter that Sanchez has purchased 500 hot dogs, 500 hamburgers, buns and rolls through A&P to donate to the Community Soup Kitchen of Morristown, New Jersey.

It's a nice gesture and a smart PR move for Sanchez, who apologized for not being "discreet" enough about eating the hot dog on the sideline in Oakland during the Jets' blowout win over the Raiders. Sanchez explained that he was feeling weak on an empty stomach and just wanted some solid food, and someone handed him a hot dog.

Now, with a charitable gesture from Sanchez, the Jets can finally put this controversy behind them -- unless it turns out that the homeless view hamburgers and hot dogs the same way they view day-old bagels and muffin stumps.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This fan has a good grasp of what the real story is here... :lol:

summerfart says:
    October 28, 2009 12:12 PM

That's not the issue at hand here.
    He needs to have someone at the soup kitchen gnaw those moles off his face.

15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Maybe we should bring a few dozen Hot Dogs and Buns and hand them out to the Raider fans that pass by at the game this Sunday.

16. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Now, if he had done it while in the game, it would be hilarious.

"Look Billy, Mark Sanchez can take a 5-step drop, grab a hot dog, put on condiments, eat it, and then complete a 15 yard pass, all before the Raiders get close to him." :lol:

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    [​IMG]

18. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Merriman's Mexican? :icon_huh:

Were you one who was or would have been outraged at Bob Griese's comment Saturday?

I wasn't and still am not.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    What was Bob Griese's comment?

20. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    For the Ohio State college football game, he was part of the announcing crew. During the game, they got around to talking about NASCAR on ESPN since the OSU game was being broadcast by ABC/ESPN.

They were talking about Juan Pablo Montoya being a contender for the NASCAR title, and him being a former Formula One and IndyCar racer. Then they were joking around waiting for an interview with Mr. Montoya. One person asked "Where is Juan Pablo Montoya, anyway?"

That's when Bob Griese, jokingly replied "He's out eating a taco" and they chuckled.

He later apologized for it towards the end of the OSU game.

It must have zoomed by me at the time, because I didn't hear it again until learning of Griese's suspension for next week's broadcast by ABC/ESPN. That's when they played the clip again.

Upon hearing it, I remarked to myself, "That's it?" :icon_huh:

Besides, Montoya is Colombian, not Mexican.

If someone was to ask, "Where's Sluggo?" and reply "He's probably out eating a taco" they might be right. :lol:

I eat tacos several times a week at Tacos El Gordo here. :flag:

Oh wait, wrong flag. :icon_rofl:

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    The PC nuts will say this fact only makes it worse.

But yeah, I agree it's not a big deal.

22. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    if he is Mexican, that had nothing to do with my choice of food to insert into the conversation.

I was trying to exaggerate and the vision of SM eating nachos fit my part of the debate better than a hot dog.

thats all.

Part of my family is hispanic, part is philipino, most is German, part is dutch. I am German dutch though, blue eyes blonde hair and a mind of a champion. LOL

I am the furthest thing from a racist, that takes tasteless stabs at people for their color, as it can get.

23. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    ...sidenote, i know it's really not a big deal and he probably did have good reason due to being ill but i do believe that there are specific rules against eating on the sidelines. i remember a charger player talking about hiding a couple of snickers bars in a shoe to have during the game...having to hide them 'cause it's not allowed.

still not a big deal and i'm sure there are a lot that do this kind of thing. they're just trying to make a big deal since the raiders are so pathetic.

24. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    If I were Sanchez I would be standing on the sideline eating casually wearing a fur coat a la Broadway Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  25. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    no offense taken by a dark hair, brown eyed, mexican dude

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Blonde on one arm, redhead on the other, bottle of Johnny Walker behind the cooler. :icon_banana:

27. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I don't think it was the eating so much as the fact that they were Snickers bars. If he was shown eating Snickers on the sidelines, that could be considered free advertising for Snickers.

Yeah, they are that anal about what brand names could be shown. If the player is getting paid to advertise Snickers, then go ahead and eat them on the sidelines. Otherwise, it's a no-no. The league could get complaints from the advertisers of, say, Hersheys about it. It is that ticky-tack in the advertising world. Especially if a company is paying $250K or more for a 30 second ad spot in a national game. If they see a competitor might possibly get 10 or 15 seconds of free exposure from a player using their product on a sideline, they'll activate the lawyers.

Gatorade pays the league big money to be the drink on the sidelines of each team each game, so there's no problem showing a player drinking Gatorade. However, if that player breaks out his own drink, like Powerade, there could be legal ramifications, especially if the player isn't being paid by Powerade to make commercials for it.

28. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Now if he had a pint of beer with that hot dog, that'd be funny. You can beat the Raiders, miserably, buzzed.

29. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    what if "the official candy bar of the Jets is a kit kat and the star qb is on the sideline eating a milky way?

If Im the ceo of kit kat, Im pretty pissed.

30. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I would trip out even more if he was taking a **** on the sideline.