1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

In despair about Norv

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by timpoet, Aug 6, 2007.

1. timpoet

timpoet BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    So, some in the media and elsewhere are high on the Chargers winning in a big way again.

I say, show me.

After years in the desert, wandering in the wilderness of NFL mediocrity, the Chargers finally put together a killer team and win the most games of any team last year. And after an admittedly sorry playoff performance, what do they do? They fire the coach! Aaaarrgh! I will never forgive the owner Spanos and that idiotic manager.

All those years of rooting for a bottom-dwelling team and then finally, FINALLY two great seasons in a row only to have it chopped off at the knees. I mean, come on, Norv Turner? Coach of last year's hapless Raiders? Uuuuuugh!

Sure he was a major player a couple years ago in their offensive coaching for one season. But can the Chargers really stay at the top of their game without the main architect? I have my doubts, many and deep.

Give me reasons for hope... if that is possible.

2. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    First of all, Norv was not with the Raiders last year.
    I encourage you to keep the faith that this team, regardless of who the coach is, has the desire and drive to take it to the next level. I will root for this team with all my heart and soul. I will support the decision of the FO and I will support Norv and his staff. Go Chargers.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +496
    first of, that "idiotic" Manager has put together the most talented team in the NFL, it's not his fault that Marty choked (again) in the playoffs

that was Art Shell, but I know what you mean, I wasn't to thrilled with the Norv hire but the players seam to think that it was the right guy for the job

Again, their main architect IS AJ!!!

Marty is a good bad team-to-respectable team, but not for a super bowl team.

I hope Norv can do the job with all this talent (that AJ brought in)

P.S. Wlcome to the board (if you're not someones multi:icon_huh: )

• Like Like x 1
  4. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    The architect is that "idiotic manager" AJ Smith. In AJ we trust. You should do the same.

5. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Its like trying to logically understand how noah got all those animals on the arc to save them all 2 by 2. Logic just screws you up.

Go with blind faith. It's the only way Norv will ever appear acceptible.

6. DjChemical

DjChemical BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Blind Faith sucks

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    REASONS FOR HOPE

Do you hate Friday's because Monday is just around the corner?

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    timpoet = FortyGut? :icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    REASONS FOR HOPE

AHHHHHHH, how nice is it to hear something positive on these boards. I was getting to think I had died and gone to hell. Thanks for the encouraging words.:bolt:

10. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I was equally distraught over the Turner hire, but I have to believe that if AJ and the players are happy with him, I should be happy too. Clearly they know more about these sorts of things that we do.

Look at the bright side... if the Chargers tank this year, we know exactly who's to blame. :icon_eek:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    Thanks for joining the board to whine.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Exactly. Norv's here & I'm gonna support him until there is irrefutable evidence not to. He's a Charger - I'm a Charger fan. :bolt:

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Hahahahahaha!! :icon_rofl:

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Hey RTL, maybe you can give this guy some pointers on RECENT Charger history.

Because I'm still trying to figure out when we've had "two great seasons in a row". :icon_shrug:

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    For all those driven to incontinence by Norval, Depends are on special at Rite Aide. Bellicheck's record was nothing but mediocre before he went to New England. Successful coaches have left the teams they had brought to prominance, thinking the grass was greener elsewhere and saw their prospects deteriorate. The players like Norv, they like what he's doing with th playbook and their talents and he is business like. Coaches fail because they run inappropriate schemes and systems or they have 0 people skills or they can't think on the run. None of this appears to fit Norval. Rivers, Gates and Lt are what will make this offense tick. Shawn, Jamal, Luis and Phillip will make this defense click. Now they have an even better supporting cast. The coach just has to manage the team's situation from play to play, to make the substituions and call plays. He's done well at that before, so chill out.

16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    RC, you leave out some very important aspects of head coaching, such as game management, motivating the team week to week, leading the team through adversity…

We talked about all of these qualities ad nauseum when AJ was interviewing HC candidates. Why did they all of a sudden become irrelevant, once we hired a coach who’s competency in those areas is questionable at best?

Like Little Train said, it still comes down to faith in AJ Smith. All of that other stuff (system continuity, good OC, Aikman’s chubby, good OC, lack of talent in Oakland, good OC), it doesn’t mean squat if the dude is overmatched on game day as our head coach.

PS. And lets take the player’s comments about Norv with a grain of salt. I remember Dennis Green getting showered with praise from the veterans when he started out in Arizona.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I agree, If norv can get the passing offense working well. Which he tends to do well. This chargers team will be scarey good.

If the pass defense gets itself oraginized I pity any opposing team the chargers will face this year. Got hopes.

18. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Turner has one thing that Schot does not .. A SB ring.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Marty, is that you???

Main architect???? Marty??? :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  20. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

Your last name is Schottenheimer, isn't it:yes:

21. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    I trust AJ's player evaluation, but he just put the keys of a Ferrari into a guy who was an absolute disaster in Washington and Oakland. There are a lot of coaches who are tremendous offensive minds who have failed as head coaches. Head coaching is about leadership, instilling discipline, and bringing in coaches who can develop. In all three, Turner is questionable as a head coach. Neither of his teams showed tremendous effort AND didn't improve. That is a concern.

Norv Turner has arguably been as bad as Dan Henning in terms of his tenure as head coaches. He's been one of the worst head coaches in the modern era and I'm surprised that AJ gave his "great talent" to this guy. Neither Belichick or Shanahan have the tenure of failure that Turner has had.

I'm hoping that AJ's team can win despite Norv Turner AND turn Norv's strong offensive mind into the head coach he was supposed to be after leading two teams to failure and having two teams quit on him.

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    There is no hope; you should root for another team, cuz the Chargers are gonna disappoint'cha, so...:icon_rofl:

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    REASONS FOR HOPE

I agree with your friend!! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    If that's the best you can do for a bright side, wow :icon_eek: :no: :icon_sad:

25. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

one post and out???

troll

:tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  26. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    This is why there should be a post limit before someone can start a thread

How about waiting and seeing how he does HERE before *****ing

I mean hell, Norv has more playoff wins the past 15 years than Marty and he will get more playoff wins with the chargers THIS YEAR than marty ever did

• Like Like x 1
  27. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    from your lips to God's ear Brother Rip!:bolt:

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :yes: :icon_rofl:

29. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +911
    Well, that guy was driving Yugos before, so let's see how he does with the Ferrari.