1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

In favor of 18 game season?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Mar 25, 2009.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Lots of rumors that the NFL will go to 18 regular season games in 2011, the postseason would extend well into mid Febuary.

Whos in favor? Who thinks this is just a money grab and it stinks?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    THE MORE FOOTBALL THE BETTER! :yes:

I hate the offseason :(

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Consider that a longer season equals more games with bad weather, which equals more advantage to cold weather teams.

4. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    No such thing as a cold weather team...

Every team is diverse and every team has kids from all over the country. Its not like they practice in the crap weather before a game.

Cold is cold for every team.

5. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    If two pre-season games get turned into two regular season games, I'm for it. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    My understanding is that the extended regular season would happen in conjunction with a reduction of pre-season games. As a season seat holder, I (and 60,000+ of my closest friends) are required to pay full price for two glorified scrimmages each season. I would be quite happy to swap two pre-season "games" for two regular season games and if the regular season starts in late August instead of early September...I am all over it!

As a side note, if they lengthen the schedule I would like to see them increase the size of the active roster by a couple of bodies to compensate for the wear and tear.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'm game but I betcha this will cause prices to go so much higher

8. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    In theory, it shouldn't...the ticket prices are the same for regular season and pre-season games. Also, an additional regular season game will get better TV ratings than a pre-season game which should mean increased revenue for the networks.

Could they jack us up with higher prices just because they can? Oh yeah!

My thought is they will keep things low key while the economy is in the dumper.....of course, I've been horribly wrong before :icon_shrug:

9. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    This change would be for increased TV money while at the same time 'giving' season ticket holders more value, 9 home games w/ one preseason game. Just a guess of course.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Don't like it.

11. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Well, no ****. Something you don't like.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Oh, I'm sorry. I love it!!! In fact, I'm in favor of 20 games.

Everybody happy?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Still 20 games total. Coaches and teams just have a take a differnt approach to avoid injuries and wear. Two bye weeks would be nice. Maybe one that happens just like the current one and then one week to rest the whole league?

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think the season is fine just the way it is. Don't fix what isn't broken.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Need more details on this one but if they just flipped a couple preseason games into the regular season no harm in that.

17. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree 100,000,000,000,000%

I would agree. Why not go all the way and do a 52 game system.

Excellent post right here. The way it is now IMO is Perfect. Change for Change sake is again IMO Insane. So I guess we want Detroit to be allowed a win instead of going 0 - 16, they will be able to go 1 - 19 or 1 - 51. Would that make people Feel Good.

This thing IMO is a disgrace to Football. Changing something that does not need changing is insanity.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I have an idea. Let's have 16 games of real football instead of adding 1 or 2 more of the powder-puff variety that they're constantly inserting via poossy rules.

Before long the QBs will be playing inside protective cages & you'll have to make sure that you wait until your opponent is set, ready, & looking at you before you hit him somewhere between the belt & shoulders.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    as long as I do not have to pay more, but I get more from my buck. Then yes I am in favor. I all ready pay for 2 Preseason games. I will not pay for anymore.

20. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Just a couple more games for us to get injured before the playoffs.:lol:

21. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    The proposals being talked about include change one or more pre-season games into real regular season games. They have also discussed adding a bye week between the end of pre-season and the beginning of the regular season, and of course increasing the total active rosters and allowing more players to be active on gameday.

I do not believe they will charge more for ticket prices, at least not solely because they are adding more games. Over time ticket prices will continue to go up as the NFL becomes more popular (leading to increased demand) and due to inflation.

I think it's a great idea. The more football, the better. They used to have 10, 12, and 14 game schedules. I don't think you're violating any sort of tradition by adding more. It gives us, the fans, more of what we love. I am all for it.

Honestly, I would even be in favor of having an even longer schedule and increasing the league size, and having football for 7 months like we do baseball.

The more football the better.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I dunno. But I'll tell u what 4 pre-season games is 2 too many. I'd be concerned about the body count after 18 games. I mean look at it now!!.

Leave it at 16 max 17 but cut back on the meaningless preseason games. If you increase it to 17 regular season then increase the number of players who can dress gameday.

23. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    18 Game Schedule = Roger Goodell Money Grab

It's pathetic. The game is brutal, and longer schedules figure to mean more injuries and shorter careers.

I fail to see how this is good for the game of football, other than lining Goodell's pockets, and it's certainly not good for the players.

The 18 Game Season concept is really the NFL's way of thumbing its nose at the players.

Why couldn't Roger Goodell be the guy walking across the street when Donte Stallworth comes driving by? :icon_shrug:

24. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    That's a little harsh, don't you think?

What they're talking about doing is replace one or two pre-season games with regular season games. That right there eliminates your "money-grab" theory. They already charge full-price for pre-season games, and replacing them with regular season games would be good for fans.

From what I've heard, the players don't really have an objection to it, so long as they get paid more to reflect the extra work. I don't think that's too much to ask.

As for the injury thing, I suppose that could be true. But the same thing was said when they expanded the season from 10 games to twelve, then again to fourteen, and then again to sixteen. The world hasn't fallen apart, has it?

I don't think it will lead to a new rash of player injuries. For one thing, rosters will be bigger. That means that players will be rotated in and out more to give them time to rest and recuperate. Coaches and teams will plan around the season being longer to keep their guys fresh and healthy as possible.

Plus if you're concerned about ticket prices, having more games will slow down the increase in their prices. By having more games, you increase supply which will help keep ticket prices down (they will still continue to rise, due to the ever-increasing popularity of the sport and the increasing demand for tickets, as well as inflation).

So I don't think this is a money grab, and I don't think it will have a really big impact on player health and safety.

EDIT: I should elaborate my explanation somewhat about financial motivation. More regular season games would probably lead to increased revenue from television contracts. So yes, in that sense the league would get more money. But I don't think it's a terrible thing, when it leads to better value for fans AND higher salaries for players. Plus, because of larger rosters, more players will be given a chance to play football. I don't think that's a bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    COSIGN.... :tup:

to get the players to buy-in, I would expect the Players Association to ask for larger rosters... more guys available to be injured... :icon_eek:

26. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Didn't see this one coming,

Plus, where would the extra games be played, particularly with 17 of them?

One possibility, an idea that Goodell and senior vice president of sales and marketing Mark Waller first mentioned several years ago, would be 17 neutral-site games, including some abroad. That would enable the league to step up its efforts internationally, a particular goal of Goodell's.

"There's been some discussion about that," Goodell said. "That's been one of the appealing features of converting preseason games into regular-season games is it gives you more inventory, more games that you can take to neutral sites, either internationally or domestically. So that is a compelling feature."

27. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Okay... maybe just a weeeeeeeeee bit harsh. :icon_wink:

However... starters often spend most of the pre-season on the bench while guys struggling for roster spots #47-53 are battling it out. An 18 game season will definitely put more wear-and-tear on the better players.

The world hasn't come apart since the NFL expanded from 10 to 14 to 16 game schedules, no. But I'm thinking that even you would concede that there are only so many games it's reasonable to subject players to. I just happen to think that limit, for practical purposes, has been reached. The "rotation" idea sounds good in theory, but guys with the temperament of Junior Seau won't come off the field when they're injured, so don't count on them coming off the field just to be kept "fresh".

And remember... the schedule is made even longer for teams reaching the playoffs. Where would YOU draw the line?

The 18 game schedule would benefit season ticket holders, in that two 'exhibition' games they were paying full price for anyway get elevated to games that count. But as you pointed out, the league gets a proportionately bigger television contract too, which we know is the lynchpin of the NFL's financial success.

I just see the players as too easily thrown under the bus by the Commissioner's Office. I miss Pete Rozelle. :icon_cry:

28. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm all for it specially if :

- they take away 2 preseason games (start the season 2 weeks earlier)
    - increase the roster size by 4-5 players
    - have 2 bye weeks instead of 1 (end the season 1 week later)

the more football the better :abq2:

29. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I understand your concerns. I just disagree that we've reached the practical limits of expanding the football schedule.

I think that players and coaches would adjust, as they have in the past, to less pre-season and more regular season action.

More regular season games would also have a positive effect for people who aren't season ticket holders. I'm not, and never have been. By adding more regular season games, there would be more tickets available and more games to choose from, increasing the chances that I'd be able to get a ticket to a game I'd want to see. In addition to the effect it would have of keeping ticket prices down.

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    The drop to 3 preseason and 1 converted regular season game to an alternate site, would be cool. Just make them NFC vs AFC so the game has the least affect on playoff tie breakers.

• Like Like x 1