1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

In Memory of Joachim 'Joe' Weinberg #86, Rookie 1991

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Got the PM earlier today. Please contact Jessee if you can help.

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Some info on Joe Weinberg.

3. jsewell0203

jsewell0203 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your help!

since I asked ChargerRay to post this, I learned that Joe was signed July 1 of 1991 and he played for Charlie Joyner, the same coach who is now in charge of the Wide Receivers for Norv Turner. So some more details have come to light. I did not know he actually signed a contract but apparently he was hurt again before the season started.

I have contacted Coach Joyner to ask for any help he can offer, any remembrances, ophotos, anything he might have to add to our effort.

Go Chargers!

Thanks for everything!

Jesse Sewell

• Like Like x 1
  4. jsewell0203

jsewell0203 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    These dates are for anyone who has older videos of Charger games. These were the games Joe might have appeared in since he was a rookie it makes sense they would have used the preseason games as a chance to decide who was going to produce at receiver. Joe was released right before the first game of the year in 91, before the team took on Pittsburgh in week 1.

08/03/1991 (Sat.) Houston Oilers @ San Diego Chargers W, 31-29 1-0-0
    08/12/1991 (Mon.) San Diego Chargers @ Los Angeles Rams L, 24-3 1-1-0
    08/19/1991 (Mon.) San Diego Chargers @ San Francisco 49ers L, 24-13 1-2-0
    08/23/1991 (Fri.) Los Angeles Raiders @ San Diego Chargers L, 17-7 1-3-0

Many thanks to the Bolts family of fans for helping me find these game videos if they are out there.

Jesse Sewell
    Columbia, SC

5. jsewell0203

jsewell0203 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I was able to reach NFL films on Friday and they confirmed that they do not keep preseason games and neither is anyone else allowed to sell or copy these games, even the networks that originally broadcast them. So esentially the NFL has sentenced them to death. Certainly some of these games are desserving. However, the sad part is that a lot of rookies will only ever appear or see NFL action in preseason games.

BAsically the marketing at NFL films is just borderline retarded. You can't get old games, not in their entirety, nor is it 'legal' to sell copies that you have recorded. The whole strategy is just bizarre. It makes no sense at all.

So Anyway I have begun to trasck down all the rookies that were drafted with Joe to see if any of them has copies of the preseason games from 1991.

I have a lot of work to do.

:unsure:

6. jsewell0203

jsewell0203 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    UNBELEIVABLE!!!!

I actually found one of Joe's preseason games and it is being mailed to me right now. I really appreciate you guys posting this up.

A guy emailed me last night and he has the Chargers vs San Fran game from 1991, preseason. That is like a Christmas Miracle.

I wanted to seriously cry when I got that email. I am still working on the other games. At least I will have something to give the other rookies from Joe's draft class, once I catch up with them.

Thanks Charger Nation!!!!!:abq2:

7. jsewell0203

jsewell0203 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Bolts Fans!

One of your members has provided me with the number for Coach Joiner. Since then things seem to be really openning up. Hoepfully we will get some great memories, pictures, videos soon.

Now I am wrking on tracking down all of Joe's fellow rookies from the 1991 season. That is actually going really well.

Go Bolts!

Jesse

8. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Jesse,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like Joe was a great person. My father also passed away 4 years ago from Cancer at the age of 57, so I know the pain it brings.

Good luck with your quest in locating everything. Hopefully you'll be able to find all the stuff you’re looking for. Keep us updated as you find things out.

RIP JOE

9. jsewell0203

jsewell0203 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Blitzed!

Sorry to hear about your dad. Cancer is a terrible disease. Joe was a guy I always kind of idolized because he was in incredible physical shape. Even after he had been away from pro football for more than 10+ he had almost no fat on his body and was just kind of a specimen. Seeing Cancer break him down was really a tough thing to watch happen to somebody I basically thought was immortal.

Things have kind of bogged down abit as far as the Quest and to tell you the truth I'm getting a little discouraged. I have contacted probably 20 of Joe's old teammates and coaches and not a single one has contacted me back. I know part of that has to do with this being vacation time / off-season. But hey, I won't stop because I just don't know how to stop. I sell stuff for a living so I'm trained to be obnoxious and I'm very, very good.

If their was a National Pest League, I'd be a second rounder at least. So I charge on toward the goal. I just keep on coming. When you think I've left you alone, now there's a message on the home telephone or with your agent or a fax at the clubhouse. I'm like a stray dog that just won't go away.

It's my best quality.

Go BOLTS!

10. jsewell0203

jsewell0203 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    The quest continues!

Found some outstanding memorabilia lately!

1. 1988 Football Schedule for Johnson C Smith Univ.
    2. 1989 Football Schedule for Johnson C Smith Univ.
    3. 1991 DVD recording of Raiders vs Chargers 9-2-91
    4. Edmonton Media guides for several 91 games
    5. Edmonton DVDs for several 91 games
    6. Several Complete sets of 91 player trading cards

I am basically just snagging anythign and everything I can find and then when I am done I hope to have a mountain of material that I can use to create some incredible memorabilia displays (framed team sets fo trading cards for the Chargers and Eskimos, etc).

One of Joe's good friends is a comic illustrator for Marvel (yeah that one) and he is going to do a extra large format rookie trading card of Joe as a Charger Rookie and as a Eskimo. We will mount the entire team around him in their original cards. I think that will be awesome.

Still have not heard from any of Joes old Coaches or teammates but I think the timing is bad since right now is when players take their vacations and try to get ready for spring workouts and camp in just a couple of months.

I did hear from one of Joe's good friends at Johnson C Smith University and that was absolutely awesome. He gave me half a dozen names of former teammates and telephone numbers and that was totaly encouraging. So thank you Charger Nation for allowing me to post here because the word has gone out and things are definitely starting to happen for us.

Go Bolts!!!:abq2:

11. jsewell0203

jsewell0203 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Charger Nation!

As it turns out there truly is three degrees of seperation. I found out from one of Joe's friends in college (JCSU) that Joe was real close to John Terry (NFL / CFL) a CFL All League player and eventual HOF for the CFL. John was a freshman with Joe at JCSU and then went on to play at Livingstone College, was drafted in 92 by the Cowboys and played 2-3 NFL seasons and then played the remainder of his career for the Toronto Argonauts. John was a graduate of Greenwood High School in South Carolina. So I have another point of contact that I am pursuing with respect to finding some JCSU film or photos of Joe.

FYI, in case you are wondering why I keep spamming this thread with every persons name that I am trying to get in contact with, it has to do with search engines and the way they pull information. Now that I have posted this, if you search Google for John Terry, this thread will pop up. Perhaps someone close to him will let him know I am trying to find him.

Go Bolts!:abq2:

Jesse Sewell
    Columbia, SC
    803-528-7217

12. jsewell0203

jsewell0203 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Great news. Received a call from Steven Joyner, AD for JCSU. He was fantastic, completely on board with helping in any possible way. That felt really good. He said the entire JCSU Athletic department was very sad to hear the news of Joe's passing. He was on his way to coach his men's Basketball team in the Semis of the CIAA Tournament, but took a few minutes to call me. I thought that was pretty cool.

Hopefully some other folks will pick up the phone this weekend.

JS

13. jsewell0203

jsewell0203 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Been sick all week, felt really lousy. Had not checked in for some time, but I will get back in the groove. I received a fantastic article from the Charlotte Post of Joe just after he was drafted and attended the Chargers mini-camp. It is a great full page spread with several great pictures and a lot of excellent quotes from Joe.

They sent me an original copy from their archives, beleive it or not it had almost no yellowing. I am going to scan it so I can frame copies.

Go Bolts!

14. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I really like getting these updates, it shows what you can do with some dedication! I wish you continued good luck on getting your info!