1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

In N Out

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dublin Bolt, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,407
    Yes, Sonic is new to socal. From what I remember, Sonic was big in the east and southern parts of the USA. Like I said, their food isn't the best, just cheap.

Santee's kinda far to go for Sonic, IMHO.

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    1. Best burger place - Hodad's.
    2. Best fish taco place - I don't eat fish BUT everyone I know still says Rubio's is the bomb.
    3. Best bar for watching football - no idea, not a big bar for football type tho.
    4. Best bar for good beer - Karl Strauss or Pizza Port.
    5. Best restaurant that there is only one of - Mr. A's! Expensive but yummo~

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Sonic is good, especially for the price.

I wouldn't wait 2 hours for it, though.

Of course, I wouldn't wait 2 hours for any fast food. Not even In-N-Out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Three things I really miss from the East Coast...

Baltimore... Steamed Blue Claw Crabs, Other areas have them but they don't know how to cook them.
    Philadelphia... Cheese Steaks, though "Olde City Grill" in Pacific Beach comes very close to it.
    New Jersey... Steamed Clams but surprisingly, "Hooters" comes very close.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    In N Out is the perfect business model.

The burgers are the same every single time. The fries are the same every single time. The service is the same every single time.

All are right there at the good/outstanding level of quality.

Some might even say it's perfect every time... because you get exactly what you expect every single time.

They keep it simple and the result is a very, very good dining experience.

That's why I love In N Out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,407
    Oooh! My dad was from Philly and knew how to make the perfect cheese steak. I'll have to check that place out.

There was (is?) a place in kerney mesa that was run by a Philly native that made GREAT cheese steaks. Can't remember the exact name.

7. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    1. Best burger place...Hodad's for sure! (in n out is the best fast food)

2. Best fish taco place...I personally love Mariscos Mazatlan in Chula Vista...but Rubios are well known

3. Best Bar for football...i like pbbarandgrill. A ton of TV's and great scenery:icon_tease:

4. Best bar for good beer....San Diego Brewing Co. been there once but i liked the beer.

5. Best one of a kind....Corvette Diner Bar & Grill (ALWAYS a good time)

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    From a Marketing stand point they had all ready won the battle.

We have been flooded with Sonic Commercials for who knows how long, and we had no place to go.

Then with all the transplants that are here, as soon as that place opened up, instant flood. If I am not mistaken, I thought I heard that they were going to open up eight more Sonic franchises here in San Diego.

9. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    FYI: I heard Corvette Diner was closing, so I got sad. Now come to find out, they are closing, then going to open up again at Liberty Station eventually:

Corvette Diner, Thanks for the Memories

Memories created at the kid-friendly eatery will heretofore be made at a new location at Liberty Station.

By RON DONOHO
    Updated 8:39 AM PDT, Sun, Apr 26, 2009

Thanks for the memories, Corvette Diner. See you you in Liberty Station.

On Sunday, a Hillcrest door will shut for the last time. Gone will be the vampy retro outfits, the beehive hairdos and the ladies in latticed black stockings. No, The Flame isn’t closing (yes, it's still there). The Corvette Diner, a Fifth Avenue mainstay since 1987, is moving out.

Say goodbye to the sassy, flair-wearing waitresses who rain the table with straws when you sit down, and shoot Bazooka bubble gum over your leftovers when they bring the check.

But Hillcrest’s loss is the gain of Liberty Station.

Sometime in June—Cohn Restaurant Group co-owner Lesley Cohn remains mysteriously mum about some details yet to be worked out—Corvette Diner will reform as The Corvette Diner & Gamers’ Garage. The new location will be twice the size as the old place, with seating for 242 and a new 5,000-square-foot arcade. There’ll also be private dining rooms, themed areas and a full bar for adults.

Cohn says as many of the knickknacks as possible that adorn the walls in Hillcrest will make the move—especially the Elvis and Marilyn tchotchkes, but Mr. Universe is too tall for the lower ceiling in Liberty Station.

The kid in all of us will miss the memories made in the Hillcrest location (though adults will revel in the idea of free parking at Liberty Station). The new spot will surely be a success. David and Lesley Cohn are restaurant savants.

On the other hand, I’m a sappy pappy who twice celebrated his daughter’s birthday at the diner. We parents grimaced at the din created by three simultaneous pre-teen scream fests. We watched blank-faced while our little girls had their hair garishly styled with red straws by a 1950s version of Elvira the Waitress. And we joked that we’d hopefully not have to endure two versions of the hourly, staff-led rendition of The Chicken Dance.

Truth be told, if I pretended to mind all that jazz, it was because my inner child would’ve rather been shaking my booty, too, Chicken-Dance style.

Corvette Diner will simultaneously reside in my memory bank as a vicarious skip backwards in age, and a culinary playground where my daughter smiled a lot.

No, I’m not getting red-eyed with paternal reminiscence. That’s a welt—from being lovingly beaned by a flying rectangle of Bazooka.
    I went to an adult birthday party there a couple years ago. We had an absolute blast. You can be as loud and silly as you want (whilst flirting with the waiter, hehe). We ended up with straws in our hair and full, contented stomachs. :tup:

10. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Not to mention Maine lobsters, fried clams, fresh haddock, NY pizza...fold up variety.

11. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I like in n out, and definitely miss it not being in socal anymore. I would rate it up there pretty high on my list of burger joints. I consider myself a very worthy critic when it comes to burgers, here's my list.

1. ***** burger Seattle

It was a tough one here but there's something special about the whole experience eating at *****. The burgers are easily the tastiest of the bunch, top grade beef combined with a buttery crisp bun wiped with their secret sauce which contains minced dill pickle puts ***** deluxe burger as king in my opinion.
    The fries are cut on premises, and are very very good

2. In n Out Southern California

One of a kind taste, and reputation. Another spot that seems to create an experience out of ordering a burger. Their shirts are seen as a must purchase for many socal visitors.

3. Burgerville Pacific Northwest

All local grown ingredients from the oregon berries that fill their shakes, to their world famous walla walla washington onion rings. Anyone who has tried these rings instantly know why burgerville insists "you'll cry when they're gone". The best thing to me is their most affordable burger. Its full of flavor for little money, great way to go on a budget.

4. 5 guys burger and fries

Not a huge fan of the cost of a meal at five guys, but they do stack up a great customizable burger. Once again all fries are cut on site, free peanuts at every location, and all fried items are done so in peanut oil.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    They actually have all those things here.
    Most super markets have live Maine lobsters and you can get the freshest fish from around here. There's a few places here where New Yorkers moved and started their own pizzarias in San Diego.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think our country needs "YELLING BURGERS!!!" :flag: :tup: :yes:

14. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Relatively quick, easy, damn good food and inexpensive on top. I try to hit In-N-Out burger once a week or so. Think you will enjoy them. :icon_toast:

15. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133

Wow!!! That sucks that its closing....But its good that it may reopen...I love that place.

16. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    We have driven past the New Sonic over in Santee several times - but looking at the line of cars just kept on driving.

Sonic's layout is fine if you are in a more laid back township - I visited the one in Nowata, Oklahoma YEARS ago and was perfectly satisfied because I wasn't in a hurry to go anywhere else (there isn't a lot in Nowata).

In-N-Out is perfectly suited for SD County IMO.

17. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Hiya Rexy - my Daughter and Son-in-law were terribly upset when they heard the news, and aren't really excited about the new location. The advertising materials say "Corvette Diner & Gamer's Garage"?

Ah well - there is always Bonnie's Cafe in El Cajon if you want to set down and enjoy 50's style decor I guess. Good food but the decor isn't near as good as the Diner was IMO.

18. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    In N Out Rules!!!

Best fries around and tehir shakes are to F-ing die for!:flag:

19. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Their drive-thru speaker could be the size of a Marshall half-stack LOL:lol:

20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

Its been awhile, did they still hand you a 45 record after they put your name on the waiting list, then they call out that record instead of your name?

I watched a special, it took a very long time to rotate that Corvette in and out of there, they had to disassemble the front door to make room, then reassemble after the switch.

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Here is a good local gem. In San Marcos try George Burgers. Killer half pounders.

I was a pretty big Boll Weevil fan until their demise.

And the one fast food that hard for me to resist is Togo's hot pastrami sandwich. With gobs of mustard, oh man.

22. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan New Member

Ratings:
    +45
    These days Subway or Quizno's is a good option, too. 5 bucks for a foot-long sandwich? Yum. :tup:

23. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Wow haven't heard the words Boll weevel in quite some time.

Anyone remember Pinnacle petes is santee? I remember the steaks, and skillets from there were unreal.

24. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    They had a big economic-driven shut down - only a few are left in San Diego.

25. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I love Subway but I can't stand their "5 dollar footlong" commercials.

They were ok at first when it was just the catchy tune. But these new ones with the idiots trying to sing it are annoying as hell.

26. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    For that stuff I prefer either SubMarina or "Godfather's" on 2nd street in El Cajon.

27. SecretAsianMan

Ratings:
    +45
    Personally if I were in San Diego and I needed a sandwich I would swing by DZ Akins. :)

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    But living in San Diego... I'm more in the need for a burrito!!! :yes:

29. SecretAsianMan

Ratings:
    +45
    I can get a decent burrito here in the Bay Area, but I haven't found a decent deli/sandwich shop, or at least not yet.

Though San Diego is the only place I know of that serves Carne Asada Fries... :tup:

30. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97

That's the ticket! I'll take mine with extra cheese please!:tup: