1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

In the grasp? WTF?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by exodus, Oct 9, 2006.

1. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    That stupid rule cost us 2 forced turnovers. Can someone please explain this stupid rule to me? If, for some reason, Ben managed to complete 2 passes while "in the grasp" do those count as incompletions? How are we supposed to force the qb to fumble while we're sacking him? This is bs. :icon_evil:

2. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    It's a bad call, Blow the whistle or the play is not dead. It's as simple as that.

3. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    :tup: :yes:

4. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    no whistle, they let the play go, and then they just take away our forced fumbles??? This is bad like that weird tuck rule. But they did it TWICE! And they didn't just blow the call twice, they wouldn't even put it under review. It's infuriating.

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    You would think that the NFL would try not to look like they are calling the game in the favor of the Steelers after the Super Bowl debacle.

6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I've never liked that rule. The league has gone too far in pampering the quarterback, imo.

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I agree and we were going insane last night watching that crap. :tdown: :icon_evil:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    frankly i've never even heard of the damn rule until it cost us two fumbles. They oughta count both as half fumbles.

But having said that we had two takeaways to one giveaway

9. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    what is the diference betwen this sacks and the one in baltimore when mcnair was given a incomplete pas when he was going down

10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    I was cursing the screen when the second one came down..... my family practically had to restrain me......

11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    How many times have we seen Big Ben appear to be in the grasp only to breakout and heave a deep ball downfield? The guy is very hard to bring down. The in the grasp rule is BS.

12. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I don't like the ref who was officiating last night he is a douchebag. In fact... I hate every single ref except for Ed Hochuli and Mike Brown... even if those guys don't call a perfect game you know they're going to do the best damn job they can. There's also this other ref whose name I don't know who is fair.

13. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Yes...had Big Ben thrown downfield while in the grasp and completed it they wouldn't have called the in the grasp BS rule...that rule is there explicitly to allow the QB to throw the ball while being sacked...it is "win-win" for the QB...if he throws and completes it good...if he fumbles, it's in the grasp...:no:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Isn't it wierd how you see those dumb-*** calls against the huge bandwagon teams like the Squeelers? If the whistle didn't blow the play's not friggin over. And the fact that "in the grasp" is conveniently not challengable just made it all the more gay.

I'm sure if Ben had broken out of the pile and somehow completed a crazy pass, they would have called the play back because he was "in the grasp." :rolleyes2: :icon_mad:

15. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah, I was super pissed. Still am. Thats the kind of crap that can cost a game. The D looked like they were going to kill the refs after they called that bs a second freaking time.:icon_evil:

16. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Yeah! Grasp This!:icon_evil:

17. Boltzzz

Boltzzz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +87
    very strange, in the grasp???? 1st time i have heard that call all year and i watch a lot of games. Not sure what they were thinking but didnt make sense to me. coming down for the Rams and Browns game, coming with a couple friends for the Rams game but coming alone to the Browns game, looking to hook up with some Boltz fans, let me know. Dave

18. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
  19. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    My Mom was all like" In the grass?There's grass EVERYWHERE!"
    (It was very noisy where we were watching it.):icon_mrgreen:

Even after I spelled it out to her "G-R-A-S-P" I didnt know how to explain it to her. :no:

One of the gurus must know SOMETHING about this rule!:icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    it's an old rule from around the Coryell years and they changed it around 10 years ago..

21. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I dont recall seeing its usage.

Is it used very often? Is using the rule twice in one game unusual?

22. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Thanks for posting the rule straight out of the book.

Another question brought up was why it can't be reviewed.

23. Kitsune-udon

Kitsune-udon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    1979 would be the year the rule was added, and from looking online it has been used before, but rarely.