1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

In time of change, Bolts defenders look within

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers players met with the media Wednesday for the first time since the club made a move at the defensive coordinator position, and while Bolts defenders seemed optimistic following the promotion of Ron Rivera, they were disappointed that things got to a point where a move was necessary.

“It’s an incredibly difficult position to be in as a team,” defensive end Luis Castillo said. “As a defensive player, we’ve put ourselves here. The important thing to realize is that one guy doesn’t cause you to go 3-5. As defensive players, we’ve let this organization down a little bit. We haven’t played to the level that we need to.”

Rivera led the defensive meetings for the first time Wednesday after Head Coach Norv Turner promoted him on Tuesday and his words seemed to bring a little renewed energy to the group.

“I think it’s going to be a good thing as far as giving us a little extra added excitement and giving a little extra added something to play for,” linebacker Shaun Phillips said.

While Bolts defenders seemed excited to work with Rivera, they acknowledged that ultimately they are responsible for making sure the change is a good one.

“You can’t put it on one guy,” Castillo said. “You can’t expect one guy to come in here and magically change everything. It’s about taking the time to get better at our individual techniques, taking the time to get fundamentally sound. If we do that, the scheme things will come.”

While the Chargers will have a new defensive playcaller, it will be the same players executing the calls on the field, and those players know that they have to raise their level of play in order for Rivera to be successful.

“It’s always the players,” Phillips said. “We have to hold ourselves accountable first. We need to pay more attention to detail and play better. With the help of Coach Rivera, I think that should happen.”

Rivera said Tuesday that there won’t be major changes in the scheme, and the players agreed that drastic changes aren’t necessary. Players cited poor tackling, missed assignments and an inability to win one-on-one matchups as the main reasons why they haven’t enjoyed the success they’d like as a defense. Bolts defenders see each of those areas as very fixable in the second half of the season.

“We have to do our jobs and not put everything on coaches,” safety Clinton Hart said. “We’ve got to play technically sound and execute the assignments they give us. We’ve got to be playmakers. When they put us in positions to make plays, we’ve got to make them.”

In the year and a half that Rivera has served as the Chargers’ inside linebackers coach, he has developed strong relationships throughout the locker room, and players voiced a genuine respect for his background, football knowledge and his abilities.

“Ron is a great coach,” Hart said. “He gets along with everybody. He’s always done a good job of coaching me on the side and I appreciate that. I think he’s going to do a great job. He was a player in this league and he understands the pressures of the game. He understands how to make the changes and adjustments.”

Despite their 3-5 record, the Chargers enter their bye week just a game and a half behind first place Denver in the AFC West. The Bolts play five of their last eight games at home and believe their goals are still within reach, particularly if they’re able to turn things around on the defensive side of the ball.

“It’s an entire new season for us and we feel with this change it’s a great opportunity. It’s a clean slate. I know Ron has high expectations of us as we do of ourselves. We understand that one person being changed doesn’t make a difference in the defense. It’s the players that have to make those changes. I think everybody today after the meetings we had are definitely ready for that challenge.”

Chargers.com

2. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Ok, so they started out bad last year, and then came back with some good wins. Yet....there still wasn't the "excitement" that Shaun mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    An entire new season where they better go 8 and 0. Because 10 and 6 might not cut it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I certainly agree with this article and it's a good one. Thanks JL.

Though a good HC and DC can also make things happen.
    Example: In 94, I don't think Seaford was the reason for the 49ers success. That team had so much veteran talent but veteran talent that had been to the Super Bowl AND WON IT several times before.
    Same can be said for Switzer in his one season with the Cowboys.

On the other hand... the 94 Chargers were a good team. Bobby Ross made them a great team!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I don't know if I'm alone on this, but these guys attitudes have me extremely disappointed. So nonchalant.

GROW A SACK AND TACKLE SOMEONE YOU ****ING BABIES!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

No major changes in schemes?? :icon_eek:

It's on the players?? :icon_eek:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Translation: Players now realize cottrell can't be complete scapegoat for their failures so they realize they have to nut up or face being removed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    Their entire attitude on the field is a joke.

The celebrations they are having on simple plays is, well, A FREAKING JOKE!

Weddle's celebration was a freaking joke and he got a 15yrdr excessive celebration for it. :tdown: The the play was then reversed because the tip of the ball touched the ground when he was trying to control it.

If anything come from this, I hope Rivera stomps on some of these inflated egos.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    We shall see in the KC game. If Rivera still has our DBs 10 yrds off the WRs all game long, then this team is fuked on the D side.

That is the one change I hope to see. More pressure at the line and not letting the WRs run free like vs the Saints.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The cause of that is lack of dicipline and that's ALL on the head coach. ALL OF IT!!!!

Though I do think Rivera will make a difference.

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    Take off your Norv hate glasses for just a minute.
    The O was not doing these stupid things.

COTRELL WAS in charge of the Defense.

HE ran the defensive meetings.

He should have put his foot in someones ***. That is HIS job as the DEFENSIVE coordinator.

btw, I knew you would respond to this post in this exact way.

B4L Takes 101.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

But the HC is in charge of the entire team.
    A good HC does things like makes sure ALL players make cerfew, makes sure ALL are present at team meetings, suspends and/or fines players who do not cooperate.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    You know I just realized something - the defense does crap like that regularly but I don't remember really seeing the offense bounce around like that on either normal plays or anything else. The offense acts pretty professional, the defense acts like fools

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    Cerfew - There is a guy hired to specifically do this job. HCs in the NFL to do NOT do bed checks. The tool in charge of that last year in Min was fired. He has more important things to do than tuck in theses clowns.

Team meetings - The D and O meet separately to go over game plans. TC should have been keeping his D guys in line.

BTW, I have not seen any **** penalties, lame celebrations from the Offense.

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    You got that **** right!!

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yeah, good luck widdat.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    We, as Bolt fans need to chill a bit and let the dust settle. It's obvious to me that Norv made a move when he thought it was best, AJ must have agreed with it because they trumped what Dean said the week of the game.

Our offense and special teams have been great under their respective coaches, the D on the other hand has been in summer camp.

Norv squeezed the trigger and made his shot count, now it's up to RR and the defensive players. SM or no SM we have to win, if our D is designed to work just around him, we're screwed.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You know what I meant... or then again, maybe not.
    Anyway, I did not mean that the HC is physically there to see that the players meet their cerfew or that he calls all the players to make sure they'll make the meetings.
    BUT as I mentioned most HCs will bench players and/or fine them if they do not cooperate. Meaning when he is told that this guy didn't make the cerfew and/or meeting.

Did anyone get fined or benched after last year's Minnesota incident?

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You got a problems with blonds?

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    No. they're fun to laugh at. :no:

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Coul you two ignore each other. Your little spat is getting old, really old...

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I agree. And I just put it to rest!!! :yes:

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dunka...

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    We are...

Hex.... I AM YOUR FATHER!!!!

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl: I am the good son.:tup:

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    c'mon guys. Stop the insults.

you dont like one anothre... OK, just use the ignore feature...

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Thread ruined. Nice job.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Get it back on track then. Quote the last real message and continue the discussion... :yes::tup:

29. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I agree, our tackling has been lurid & frightfully dreadful, my good man.
    Imagine me saying that with an English accent. That's the overture I was aiming for. Kind of a Watson & Sherlock Holmes semblence. :icon_huh:

30. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I find this thread to be very relaxing.:baked: