1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Injured Plagued Season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Dec 6, 2011.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    What do you guys think? Lot of injuries... We currently have 10 guys on the IR.. that has to be most in the league.. This defiantly is an effect of the lock out I would think

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Last year, Green Bay had like 14 or 15 on IR. Injuries have been the excuse used since the day Norv was hired

• Like Like x 2
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    From what positions? Do any of those teams suffer from one unit being decimated?

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Don't know, and don't care. Good teams over come, bad teams make excuses

• Like Like x 2
  6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Sorry that is an absolute asinine statement. If you want to ignore having the OL (or any other one position) wiped out be my guest. But it will have an impact on a team regardless of what ever Mr. Big Talk us fans want to say. Injuries have derailed good teams throughout the history of the league.

P.S. no one is making excuses. No one is doing anything but saying the Chargers have been hard hit. If that is an excuse to you, the problem is with how you define the word.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The Chargers have and will use injuries as an excuse to justify poor play, poor depth, and poor coaching. Feel free to accept it, IMO it is nothing more than an excuse

• Like Like x 2
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Its disturbing how ownership is willing to blame the players we don't have for Norv's failures.

Bottom line is you can't lose 6 in a row, we weren't missing McNeill and Dielman that whole time, its not like we've been dumpster diving since week 6.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Please be so kind as to provide links to where ownership is blaming any one or few players for the 6 game streak.

11. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    If you consider the circumstances, sure it has gotten worse lately, but the games we lost aren't a direct result of injuries, they are a direct result of poor play calling, bad execution, bad decisions, and just general mistakes.

vs New England - Game really swung on that fumble by Tolbert where he decided to turn around and think he was Barry Sanders for a second, not injury related just poor decision making.

vs Kansas City - Rivers fumbles the snap, a mistake.

vs Denver - Norv settles for a long FG instead of trying to advance further, FG gets missed and we go on to lose. Poor play calling and decision making.

vs NY Jets - Coaches keep with Cason on Burress despite Cason getting repeatedly abused, ends up costing the game. A tactical error.

It does seem to me like some are trying to use injuries as a smokescreen to cover up poor performance and trying to use that as an excuse for the current situation, when maybe it's fair to call it a contributing factor, it's certainly not an excuse for throwing away game after game, nor is it the primary reason why this team isn't doing better

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    It's not an excuse to acknowledge injuries and their impact. My expectations certainly adjust accordingly due to injuries when managing my fantasy football teams, why wouldn't they in relation to the Chargers?

Injuries don't excuse bonehead behavior on the field by active players. Period. I don't think any player on our team would disagree either. I've never heard any of them blame injuries on their 6 losses. Acknowledge that the injury(ies) were painful (hello Dielman and Big Mac) but never used as an excuse for poor execution.

• Like Like x 1
  13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'm talking about last year, after the season Spanos came right out and gave Norv a bail out citing injuries and holdouts.

14. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Sounds like a good excuse to me.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Sorry I cant agree with you that, that was an excuse. Those injuries and hold out did directly impact the team, just as the shyty play of the specials teams did. It is a factor of the game, to ignore it is not looking at the whole picture.

I have yet to see anyone excuse the 6 game losing streak because of injuries. Did they play a part YES. Were they the whole reason, hayl no.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Who were we missing when we got knocked out of the playoffs by the 3-11 Bengals? Just Gates.

A key player no doubt, but not our entire offense.

17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    You forgot to say the players weren't motivated. I think it's required to have that in there when complaining about Norv.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    There's a difference between excuses and reasons.
    A reason is an explanation. An excuse makes it sound like it was okay.
    Another way of looking at it: Excuses are reasons that rely on you being dishonest with others and yourself.
    The ability to make an excuse relies on choice.
    A valid reason restricts your choices.

The point is, we can all make what we feel is a valid reason for losing as fans, as players, as coaches, as managers, or as owners, but when we aren't honest with ourselves or others, we're really just choosing an excuse...and you know how it is when someone is giving you an excuse...how it makes you feel...well, others feel the same way when we give them our lame excuse.

Own up to it and move on. The reasons the Chargers lost are many...but we always seem to give excuses instead of reasons.
    I'm a bit tired right now and I think I just confused myself (an excuse).
    I don't really know wtf I'm talking about (a probable reason).

Go Bolts! Let's take it to the Jills this Sunday..I will be at the Q for my one game I get to see live this year. A similar outcome like the Jags game would make my weekend...:)

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What? Just Gates.... Sorry, your making me laugh too much to continue this....

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Whatever one calls the injury excuse (reason, rationale, etc), good teams deal well with injuries, bad teams don't.
    The Bolts were overrated last year, just like they were at the beginning of this year. We can play 'what if' all day long, but in no realistic scenario would the Bolts have gotten far in the 2011 playoffs.

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    St. Louis has lost their top 6 CB's on the depth chart.

Injuries should have been expected even at this magnitude given the lack of mini camps, shortened training camps, and all things pertaining to the increased layoff from end of the last season to getting back into the swing of things for this one.

That said, I said it last year and thankfully when Norv goes so will most of the staff which includes our piss poor strength and conditioning coaches. God willing we reassess our training staff too because they've done us no favors, and if I'm not mistaken have been tied to some pretty shady stuff anyway. Better strength and conditioning and better development and teaching of proper technique won't eliminate injuries form this team but it will certainly help as a form of preventative maintenance. Even then, you have to have depth to succeed in this league - given the size, speed, and amount of contact that takes place on any given play a certain amount of injuries have to be expected in any given season, the human body (even peak pro athlete bodies) can only take so much.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think his point was that they are blaming the mistakes and poor play on us missing players who are out with injury, which is something they have been saying for the last 4 years as the excuse for their failures

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    my point is who is 'They' and where are 'They' doing this.

The only blaming and excuses that is occuring is in the rhetoic here from what I have seen.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Do you not pay attention? Every time Norv, the players, and Kevin Acee discuss their failures, the reason is always injuries, and back when AJ actually talked to the media, that was always his reason also. In fact, Acee has been saying that he knows Dean looks at the injuries as a big reason for their failures and will be the reason he keeps AJ and Norv, if he does so

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I do not see it that they are miking excuses. They are stating facts. Injuries DO impact the team and must be accounted for. Unless of course you tend to believe what ever player we get off of the wood pile is as good as the player we lost otherwise INJURIES HAVE AN IMPACT! That is not an excuse that is reality.

I have never heard them say once "We lost all because of injuries." So yes I pay attention... I just dont embelish as the 'no more excuses' crowd is want to do.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Injuries are never THE reason we lose, unless Rivers goes down. They may be a part, but the fact is, they have been a part for 5 straight years, and is the only reason given for the failure. They never have said we need a better game plan. They have never said we need better players. The only reason ever given is injuries, and that is why many feel it is nothing more than an excuse given to avoid accountability for Norv and AJ

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No one is saying they are THE reason other than you.

They are a factor. you need to listen to more post game interviews. Norv has said they have to plan better and execute better.

28. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Castillo going on IR today - only question is why it took so long to make the decision to do so. :confused:

29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I heard that his recovery had been going well for several weeks before plateauing (sp?) recently. Still sucks... how much could we have used that extra roster spot??

30. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Agreed. Castillo, like Floyd, is worth a heck of a lot when he is healthy - but how many games can you miss in one career? (Of course thoughts of Merriman always come in to compound my headache/heartache on this stuff. <sigh>)...