1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Injuries are just an excuse

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Dec 29, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am sick of hearing people use injuries as an excuse as to why we finished where we are. For those who don't realize, the Saints, Pats, Ravens, Packers, and Colts all have the same amount or more players on IR than we do, and they are all in the playoffs.

The only team in that list that plays in a weaker division than us is probably Indi, and that is very debatable, and they have 9 more players on IR than we do.

Injuries are part of the game. Good teams over come them, bad teams don't

2. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Enlighten me, where did someone, anyone, state that injuries were the only reason we did not make the playoffs? They are a factor, just not the prime factor. I'm tired of so many peeing and moaning about their lost season, get over it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am saying they shouldn't even be a factor, since obviously they weren't with these other playoff teams. Using injuries as a reason is just making up excuses

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Every team has injuries, some as serious as Gates and some not. When it rains, both teams have to play in the rain. When it snows, both teams have to trudge through the white stuff. When a player fumbles the football, both teams have the opportunity to collect the loose ball. It stands true: winners find a way to win and losers make excuses.

5. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

Trust me, every idiot homer has pulled the injury excuse out to protect Norv and AJ. It is a MAJOR copout.

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    It's an excuse to keep Norval Eugene Turner here another year. Norv's lack of preparing the team is what gave the team all the injuries in the first place. Playing Gates in the Raiders game was a fail on Norv's part.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Spanos said it while trying to justify keeping Norv to the media.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Whoever believes that injuries do not factor in to the ability of a teams chances of winning or losing is not being honest with themselves.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    the Colts arent in the playoffs yet.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I will say this - injuries are something every team has to deal with. But the Chargers over the last two years have had specific positions carpet bombed with injuries (last year, OL and DL. This year, WR/TE and LB). It's one thing to have injuries spread out with depth but when a team loses four-five from ONE position (Davis, Goodman - IR, Floyd, Naane, Crayton missed with injuries, Jackson out) it becomes very difficult for any team to deal with. If you look at teams like the Colts or the Pats or the Packers, their injuries are spread out over a very wide range of positions. With us, it's WR, its TE and its LB primarily (I won't bother with LS but you can add that - how many teams go through five in a single year?).

I'm not making excuses but its valid to point out that few if any team could handle a single or two position(s) being carpet bombed by injury like that

11. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

True, but the main positional hits came at WR/TE and we overcame that reasonably well. ST killed us early and lack of motivation killed us late with Oakland and Cinci. For a team to play that badly with so much on the line late? Sorry, I lay that at the HC's doorstep. Our injuries this year didn't seem out of proportion to most teams, today's NFL is a car wreck on Sundays, injuries have gotten off the charts.

12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm not defending Norv, Dean has already done that. I place the blame on the player's. Sorry, but if I'm going out to perform on Sunday and know the guy in front of me is going to knock my head off, I'm going to do my best to stop him. So it's either I'm not good enough, I'm injured and still playing, a rookie and don't know shyte or I just don't give a damn, I want my paycheck. I believe it's a mixture of all of them, including Norv.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Davis and Goodman don't even belong to be mentioned

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Cason got beat like a drum by a guy who caught what 2 passes all year?????? How in hell can a coach be at fault for that????? I just don't understand some of the thought process going on in here.

15. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13
    You just cherry picking?

16. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

You sound like a very self motivated guy. Not everyone is, not even in the NFL.

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    If you just blindly blame the coach for everything you don't have to think as hard.

18. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Okay keeping on the subject of injuries.

Is Gates career in jeopardy?

It is the second year in a row in which his feet have given him problems.

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Not at all. It's easy to look at the hole in the bottom of the boatm admitting you have a problem is the first step. Your survival depends on the choices made from that point on. Swim or drown but I'm going to try and fix that damn hole.

20. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

No one is trying to lay every player error on Norv. It's a copout to exaggerate what people are saying to oversimplify it.

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    We can polish a turd and it's still a turd. There were many problems with this team this year and to just hang it all on Norv is the true copout. Sure he owns a piece of it, but Merriman wasn't his doing and Tomlinson refusing to accept a second fiddle role wasn't his fault. I mean we can go on and on and have a great list of failures starting with ownership on down the line.