1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Injury Report

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Sep 28, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers LB English has surgery
    / Union-Tribune

Linebacker Larry English (left) will miss some time.

The Chargers will be down at least one outside linebacker for an undisclosed period even if Shawne Merriman returns to health.

Larry English had foot surgery on Tuesday and will miss at least some time.

English battled the foot injury through training camp and the preseason and missed Sunday's game at Seattle. He will not be placed on injured reserve.

With Merriman working through an Achilles' injury and calf strain, it follows that Antwan Applewhite and Jyles Tucker will get more playing time.

The Chargers have also re-signed safety Quinton Teal, who was released Sept. 4. Teal is likely being brought into work on special teams. The corresponding roster move is not known.

The moves are not finished.

It is believed the Chargers have also brought in their fourth long snapper of the season, though it is not known who they have signed. Ryan Neill injured his knee Sunday.

Chargers LB English has surgery - SignOnSanDiego.com

Vasquez to miss a least two weeks

Right guard Louis Vasquez will not need surgery but will likely miss at least two games as he recovers from an MCL sprain suffered Sunday at Seattle.

Tyronne Green, who took over for Vasquez against the Seahawks, will likely make his first career start Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals.

Vasquez started the season off strong, playing more consistently than his rookie season. He was injured in the first quarter at Seattle, blocking on a failed third-and-one run.

Vasquez to miss a least two weeks - SignOnSanDiego.com

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    More special teams trouble?

Long snapper Ryan Neill left Chargers Park on crutches and with his right knee heavily bandaged after being hit covering a second-quarter punt on Sunday.

There is optimism Neill will be OK to play against the Cardinals, but the Chargers could have to find a fourth long snapper this season.

After 5,855 days with Dave Binn as their long snapper, the Chargers signed James Dearth after Binn tore his hamstring in the season opener. Dearth was placed on injured reserve after two days with a foot injury. Neill signed on Sept. 17.

The Chargers’ emergency long snapper is inside linebacker Brandon Siler, and he has been lobbying to do it.

“I want to snap,” said Siler, who regularly does so in practice. “I’ll be an extra guy to cover.”

3. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Love Siler's attitude. Coverage teams, yeah sign me up. Long snapper, yeah sign me up. The dude man's up.

The pisser about Vasquez's injury is he hurt on Tolbert's extra effort without his helmut. Yogi squatted on the guy.

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Siler's the man, get him on the field as often as possible.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    English had surgery on his foot per Acee.

6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Lots of injury bugs already this season... ugh.

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I love his attitude too. Doesnt hurt I have been hoping to see a gamer come out of Siler since we drafted him late. Yea I was hoping Waters would work out too. But after we lost Nick Roach, I Deffinatly became a supporter of Silers career in the NFL with or wout the Chargers.

WTF is up with the LS injury bug?? Not that im complainin its not near as bad as the multiple seasons DEN has gone through 4+ backs in a single season. Deffinatly love that Siler at LS opens up his previous spot on returns for another Siler like player.

Sucked to see Vasquez go out. Glad it will only be a hickup in his continued production and improvment.

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Larry English is expected to be out four to six weeks.

9. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The team did put linebacker James Holt, who played inside and outside, on IR with a shoulder injury suffered Sunday at Seattle

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    It's not as horrible as last year though losing Williams for the year and Hardwick for almost all year

Vasquez will be back ironically when McNeil returns, English it sucks but maybe he'll show some of the explosiveness we heard about in training camp.

Any news on Mathews practicing?

12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  13. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  14. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Ryan Mathews returns to practice

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 29, 2010 5:36 PM ET

Unlike a handful of other big-name running backs, Ryan Mathews of the Chargers returned to the practice field on Wednesday, according to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

It looks like Mathews' ankle sprain will only keep him out for one full game and Mathews will return to the field this week against the Cardinals.

While LaDainian Tomlinson has thrived in New York, the Chargers rushing attack has shown signs of improvement this year despite Mathews' injury. The team is averaging 4.4 yards-per-carry, which ranks eleventh in the league.

Last year, the Chargers were dead last in the category.

15. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Neither guard practicing

By Kevin Acee
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 2:49 p.m.
    It was known that right guard Louis Vasquez wasn't going to work on the field for a while, but it was a surprise to see left guard Kris Dielman not at practice.
    Dielman sat out with an undisclosed illness and is expected back later in the week. Vasquez suffered a sprained MCL on Sunday at Seattle and is expected to miss at least two games.
    Scott Mruczkowski worked in place of Dielman. Tyronne Green was at right guard, where he is expected to start Sunday against Arizona.
    Outside linebacker Shawne Merriman, who played just three snaps at Seattle, did not practice.
    Tailback Ryan Mathews, out last week while recovering from an ankle sprain, practiced full.
    Linebacker Brandon Siler (foot) and safety Darell Stuckey (hamstring) were limited.
    Curtis Brinkley is back on the practice squad after a week on the active roster. (For those who are curious, he made $18,823 last week. He makes $5,200 per week on the practice squad.)

16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    So we didnt cut Brinkley after the game and not using him? Or we cut him and brougt him back again?? Not bad really jus chump change to the NFL. Half mil contracts to players to me is the deffinate norm even for scrubs from what I have seen in my short time as a NFL fan.

Glad to hear Green will get a chance to get past being green at Guard. Unlike the Nick haters, I would like to see him settle in as a G vs C.

Sounds like Siler is limited to maximize his health for the game. Ugh I hate how injurys can linger and amplify from an unrelated other injury.