1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Injury updates

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SatchBolt, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    No arguments here. Its win or go home....

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams34s
    Mathews on not practicing Friday:“The more rest you get, the better everything gets. It is only a week, so I’m just going to do what I can.”

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
  4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Bailey, Champ..........CB..........Shoulder..........FP---
    Dreessen, Joel..........TE..........Knee..........FP---
    Ihenacho, Duke..........S..........Concussion..........FP---
    Justice, Winston..........T..........Finger..........FP---
    Kuper, Chris..........G..........Ankle..........FP---
    Vallos, Steve..........C..........Concussion..........FP---
    Webster, Kayvon..........CB..........Thumb..........FP---
    Welker, Wes..........WR..........Concussion..........FP---
    Wolfe, Derek..........DE..........Illness..........DNP---

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams24m
    Philip Rivers on Ryan Mathews availability: "He’s going to do all he can to play, to give himself the best chance to play four quarters."

6. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    anybody concerned with fluker? I think hes also questionable with an ankle

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,379
    Shoot 'em up and send 'em out. ;)

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    I don't see how anyone could be too concerned with Fluker. On the Chargers last offensive play against Cincy he sprinted 50 yards to the end zone to congratulate Ronnie Brown. Didn't look the least bit gimpy. I imagine they'll numb him up and he'll be fine.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings:
    +71
    Am I the only one who thinks all this drama surrounding the status of Mathews and Fluker is just smoke & mirrors?

I have this gut feeling that not only is Mathews going to play, but he's going to ERUPT on the Broncos. I know McCoy is real tight on releasing injury info & updates. Some reason I think this is all apart of his plan for the Broncos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    It's all fun and games until you've gone through it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,379
    It's good to see that your sense of humor hasn't improved in the slightest.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,173
    When did you go through it?

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,379
    The NFL playoffs: Where injuries disappear
    By Matt Calkins
    2:12 P.M.JAN. 10, 2014

There was an undefeated team on the field that stood one win away from reaching the Super Bowl and capping the greatest season in NFL history.

But it wasn’t the lead story.

Not with Philip Rivers playing. Not with the Chargers quarterback taking on the Patriots sans a crucial ally – his anterior cruciate ligament.

Rivers tore his left ACL in San Diego’s four-point win over the Colts one week earlier. Normally, such an injury keeps those who suffer it away from the field for at least a year.

Not No. 17.

Rivers had a clandestine scope surgery on Monday, was on crutches through Thursday, and back on the practice field by Friday. He would suit up come game time and throw 37 passes in an eventual nine-point loss to New England.

He said that that particular Sunday happened to be the feast day of St. Sebastian – a patron saint for athletes – which let him know that there was no way he was going to miss the game.

But there may have been another influence outside of the celestial realm: It was the playoffs – and if you’re in the NFL, you’re going to do whatever you can to play.

“Getting to this point, obviously it’s win or go home. And a lot of guys – they find a way to be out there,” Rivers said. “I think that brings guys closer together. It makes you want to fight for one another. Every team that’s still in it has guys that are banged up…you have to find a way to be at your best.”

We hear stories about players who can’t get out of bed Monday morning during the regular season. During the playoffs, they struggle to merely adjust their pillows.

There are no seven-game series, no do-overs, and no chances for redemption. So most players feel that enduring three hours of physical pain trumps the decades of mental anguish that goes with sitting out.

That’s why you see guys like Jack Youngblood playing through the postseason on a broken leg, or Terrell Davis banging in the Super Bowl with a migraine, or former Chargers tight end Kellen Winslow fighting dehydration in a playoff game vs. the Dolphins – being carried off the field one moment and blocking a field goal the next.

You have to have a certain pain threshold to compete at this level. Everybody knows that. But when you actually see what some of these athletes go through, and then how they continue playing regardless, you may start to realize that, with some guys, their rise to the NFL goes beyond talent.

“You almost get used to it, and you take it for granted how tough some of these guys are,” said Chargers backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst. “The things you put your body through – it’s crazy. It’s just incredible how they get ready. But I remember something my dad told me about playing hurt, and it’s that not only do you play hurt – but you have to play good.”

And that’s where things can get complicated.

After the Chargers beat the Chiefs to clinch a playoff berth two weeks ago, Coach Mike McCoy addressed those who had never been in the playoffs before and asserted that the speed of the game was unlike anything they’d ever seen.

This makes sense on a mental and motivational level, as those involved realize the significance of every play in a lose-or-go-home situation. But from a physical standpoint, McCoy’s warning seems completely counterintuitive.

By this point in the season, an NFL player’s body either tattooed with bumps and bruises or riddled with sprains and separations. Had you scanned the Chargers locker room earlier in the week ,you’d have seen Ryan Mathews and D.J. Fluker each wearing walking boots while Nick Hardwick keeping mum on his concussion.

You can even argue that, while Rivers playing a week after his ACL tear six years ago forever rallied his teammates behind him, it was the wrong move seeing how he threw two interceptions and had a passer rating of 27.4. But nobody wants to live with the regret of skipping a game or letting down their teammates, which is why injuries in the postseason always seem to heal more quickly.

“This is the beautiful thing about the playoffs. When the stakes are the highest – it’s weird, because that’s when you feel the worst. Everybody feels terrible. Everybody is hurt,” said Charges linebacker Jarret Johnson. “At this time of year, it’s not necessarily who’s the biggest or who’s got the most talent – it’s who’s got the most will.”

Chargers cornerback Shareece is wearing a bigger shoe than usual to accommodate his bummed heel. Safety Eric Weddle remembers battling MCL and shoulder injuries during his second year, saying that “you just want to get close to 90 percent – I won’t even say 100 percent.

Tight end Antonio Gates, meanwhile, was asked Wednesday if there was a ever a time that he was willing to play in a playoff game when there was no way he would have done it in the regular season.

His response?

“Probably now.”

He won’t be sitting out, though. This is the time of the year where “questionable” becomes “probable,” “probable” becomes “definitely” and “out” is a last resort.

These are the playoffs. Emphasis on play.

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Which time????? it is directly related to my disabilities today and I have said if I knew then what I know now things might be different, then again maybe not.

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    It's not that it can't be funny, I reckon it's just this kids injury history. Hell, when was the last time the Bolt's entered the playoffs with a healthy starting RB that completed the game????.

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I want Ryan Mathews to do what even the great Tomlinson couldn't, be a difference maker through the playoffs and eventual championship.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,379
    Well, he had Turner when LT got hurt, we just didn't use him very well. Not many teams had two RBs of that quality then.

18. SatchBolt

SatchBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I hope Gilchrest is OK. Poor guy got hit hard twice.