1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Inside Slant 10-19-06

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mapcap55, Oct 20, 2006.

1. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    USA TODAY INSIDE SLANT

With Marty being unhappy with the way the running game has been going and the apparent inneptitude of the chiefs run defense, is the stage set for the return of the grind-it-out, ball control ground game?

2. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    I noticed the run blocking in the 9ers game. The oline just isn't gettting any push. At pass blocking we're fine, it also helps the Rivers has that quick release, but I see no push in the run game. Why???? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

3. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Rivers is 2nd in QB rating, the writer probably started writing this sunday night.

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I think it's mostly the defensive schemes. They know that historically we want to run first, pass second, so they scheme to stop it. Now that we have shown we can light it up through the air as well, I think they will back off the run stuffing a bit.

But certainly, if we have run success early, Marty will shove it down their throats.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Our O-Line needs to get better.

This is not about anyone scheming against us because even in the Raiders game, I was bummed at the run blocking and it has not gotten much better through WEEK 6. Even though we are second in the league, it is not cutting it.

Much has to do with our competition and schedule as well which gives us inflated stats.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm wondering if nfl defenses are just so good now that most or all defenses can pretty much stop the run.. Its been preached that you have to stop the run in the nfl. And possibly alot of defensive coordinators have taken that to heart.

As mentioned. The chargers have one of the best running games in the nfl yet it is also having a hard time. Could be defenses are just more built to stop the run now. Which makes being able to pass the ball inperative.

7. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I think a problem with our running game is that we are running the ball straight ahead. We need to get more of that side to side movement out of our line so lt can get more cut back lanes to run against. I see a lot of teams using that sort of running scheme. Don't see our team doing it. We aren't giving LT opportunities to make the big gains because we aren't getting the D out of position. We are just lowering our heads and driving forward and hoping for a miricle lane to open up.

Does this make sense or am I just imagining this???

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    First, defenses had to adjust to the new passing rules which means the defensive backfield gets smaller and faster. They are not allowed to bump after 5 yards so the physical mauler DB is not needed but a guy who can cover and defend all the way down the field.

Offenses have countered with jumbo packages to exploit the size differences (like adding Manumaleuna for instance).

The Chiefs O-Line was able to do it for a block of years as well as the Patriots. We should be able to do it as well but we are limited with the athleticism on our O-line.

AJ needs to target some quality beef in the draft or we may fall short again and time has basically run out.

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    It couldn't hurt to find one or two more bigger, quicker, stronger o-lineman. Goff isn't that athletic. So looking at an improvement there might be a start. I'm hoping the longer the o-line plays together the better they'll get.
    Were gonna need a good running game for bad weather and bad field postions. I'm all for trying using turner alot more with a bad field. Ladanians thing is his cutting abilty. Which seems hampered with a sloppy field. But use ladanian as a flanker in an offensive package with turner as the runner. Its at least worth a try.

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    There is nothing wrong with the blocking schemes.

You are describing a "zone blocking" for cut backs which this type of scheme allows but you need smaller faster agile linemen to do it (see Denvers O-line).

Our line scheme is not zone blocking.

The side to side you mentioned is where we have a slow footed guard and tackle to make it NOT work (Goff and Olivea).

Sweeps and screens are rare because we are too SLOW in certain key areas, RG, RT, and Hardwick moves like mollasses as well in the open field.

McNeill and Dielman are the only dudes with wheels.

Cam would have to design plays which utilizes this strength and that would be to roll the LT and LG on sweeps to the right. This allows the slow fat boys on the right side of the line to engage the first level and here comes the left side with a full head of steam to mop up and dominate.

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Have we been pulling them like that at all? I like the sound of it but can't remember if they've tried this. I think we aren't getting anywhere by running up the gut all day long.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Our team pull plays are for **** because of the O-Lines slow feet ....

I have not seen the Chargers pull McNeill and Deilman on sweeps to the right - yet.....

Maybe I should E-mail Cam ?

Nahhhh.....that dude is smart enough to see his talent and is probably waiting for weakass teams like the Chiefs to unveil it.

13. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

So are you saying we don't need Jammer anymore :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

:lol:

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Jammer is learning to keep his hands off.

What I am saying is the DB who likes to play physical will not win anymore because of the rule changes.

Cover skills are now more a premium.

You have to be fast jack and for that to happen you can not be as bulky or carry the extra mass so you can keep up.

This is an exploit for the offense (two TE sets etc etc).