1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Inside the Chargers-Cottrell saga

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Nov 2, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/10/31/buzz/index.html

The Chargers' dumping of defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell during the bye week was surprising considering the tremendous success the defense enjoyed last season. The Chargers led the league in takeaways (48) and finished fifth in sacks (42). Although they finished 14th in total defense, the defense was considered one of the tops in the league because of its ability to produce negative plays.

However, this year's unit is last in pass defense and 28th in total defense. Thus, Norv Turner felt compelled to make a change in an attempt to spark the sagging unit.

"It's disappointing that we didn't get a chance to finish the job," said Cottrell after the firing."We set a host of defensive records last season running the same scheme. Sure, we weren't play up to that standard, but we are playing with our third team linebacker and a ton of young guys in the secondary. It was going to take some time for us to hit our stride, but we were turning the corner."

To Cottrell's point, the Chargers are playing without three-time Pro Bowler Shawne Merriman. Without the threat of him coming off the edge, opponents are not as fearful of the pass rush and have been targeting the secondary with great success. Quarterbacks have completed over 68 percent of their passes against San Diego. Worse, the team has allowed a league-leading 14 touchdown passes. Although the Chargers have made 17 sacks (tied for ninth-best in the league), they've got nine quarters without one. Thus, some viewed Cottrell's firing as just.

"It was inevitable," said a long-time NFL defensive coach."They are sitting at 3-5 with arguably some of the best talent in football. Their secondary was underachieving and they weren't generating any pass rush this season."

While Merriman's injury altered the approach used by the Chargers this season, great coaches find a way to compensate for their personnel losses through a variety of adjustments. But some observers felt Cottrell never catered his scheme to his talent.

"He hasn't changed or evolved over the years," said a long-time NFL defensive coach. "He is still running the 'bend, but don't break' system that he has run for years. Part of being a great coordinator is being innovative, and their scheme lacked creativity. With the talent that they had in place, there is no excuse for not being aggressive with the pressure package."

Turner is banking that former linebacker coach Ron Rivera has the imagination to create a scheme that better suits the Chargers. Despite the perception that Rivera is a "Tampa-Two" disciple based on his time as the Bears' defensive coordinator under Lovie Smith, it should be noted that he played under Buddy Ryan and worked as an assistant coach under blitz-guru Jim Johnson in Philadelphia. In other words, he is well versed in the art of pressuring the quarterback.

"He wants to play an aggressive style of defense," said an NFL defensive coach. "He is going to come after the quarterback from all angles."

Rivera admits he's an aggressive play caller, but he also believes in a balanced philosophy that is based on playing situational football. You just don't blitz to blitz," he told the team's website. "There's a reason why. You don't play a certain coverage to play a certain coverage; you have to have a reason why. I really do believe that. I believe you try to put your players in the best position based on the information you have on your opponent through the [scouting reports] that you get that are produced during that week."

The Chargers' defense has played without a spark for most of the season, but Turner hopes Rivera is the right man to ignite the flame.

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Bucky Brooks has yet to write an article that suggests he's an "insider". He offers nothing new in anything he does. But hey Bucky... thanks for telling us all what we already knew. :lol:

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    This article has alot mors credibility with me than some sports writer with an agenda, or some know-it-all posters.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    So you agree that the game has passed fat teddy by? That's basically what this is confirming... and what most of us already knew. Right? :icon_shrug:

5. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Last season was last season Sh*t Happens and a team ie DC needs to adjust to the players they have and I know TC was not able to do that very thing. This article is a typical liberal look at coaching and how to run a team.

It drives me nuts when the educated commentators talk about what a team did in prevoius years. It really makes no difference except with stats. The game and the teams are a continuous change in progress for many reasons ie injuries, change in players and coaching.

Get a grip commentators and amateur know it alls. I don't think that I know all that much about football stratagies, but I do know common sense and when something is not working you change it.

:bolt::bolt::bolt: GO CHARGERS :bolt::bolt::bolt:

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Just a wild guess but that idiot writer and quite a few other opposing fans and opposing coaches are way upset we let Ted leave.

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol: Exactamundo!!

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Other DCs saying it and you saying it are two different things.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The problem is we know it, and Cottrell didn't.

Right there tells you he may just be the dumbest ****in coach on earth.:icon_evil:

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol: ok

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Teddy resting on his 2007 laurels and making excuses about injuries, tells you everything that you need to know about the guy. The Patriots and Giants both have experienced worse injury situations than we have this year and they are still winning.

How can he say that the defense was making progress? They completely sucked against the Saints.

Whether or not Rivera is the long term answer is moot to me, I'm just happy that that no imagination life draining DC is gone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    That's his way of saying he's sorry. :yes:

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :icon_huh: okthxbye :lol:

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    From one of our favorite dartboard targets.

Peter King : MMQ

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    But we were saying the exact same things they said. :icon_huh:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Don't you know it's always gets worse WHILE you're "turning the corner"? Not before, but during, as Ted suggests. Also, it's all the players fault.

:lol:

So glad this idiot is gone.

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    No, it was the players on the...Bills, Vikings, Jets and Chargers.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

but, we as forum know-it-all posters have NO credibility!!

:lol::lol::lol:

20. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Some less than others you quitter. :yes:

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    bite it, summer's eve bag,

I think Ted was a warrior/soldier and I'm pissed he's gone!!

:icon_party::icon_party:

22. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    a warrior/soldier in the buffet line maybe...

• Like Like x 1
  23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886

While Teddy had his face buried in his bagel, Rivera was busy keeping the players from completely packing it in.

But of course, this cannot possibly be true because I'm not an "insider" and don't know how things really work.

Can't wait to hang with you and the wife and watch Rivera work in person this weekend man. :bolt:

24. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    yeah you don't know $hit.
    we land at 9:25 muther trucker, i will be drink'in on the plane.
    giggity

25. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Tc did':icon_huh:nt change with the times