1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Inside track

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted 32 minutes ago

Kevin Burnett and Tim Dobbins have both gotten off to strong starts in training camp as they begin their battle for a starting job at inside linebacker.

Linebacker Kevin Burnett[​IMG] is in the middle of a battle during training camp, but the way he sees it, he’s simply pushing himself.

“Everybody wants to make this a competition between me and Tim Dobbins[​IMG], and to me that’s not the case,” Burnett said. “I’m in a competition with myself to be the best football player that I can be. If it’s as a starter, that’s what it is.”

Burnett joined the Chargers as a free agent this offseason after four years in Dallas. He and the incumbent Dobbins have both shined early in camp and appear poised to present a tough decision for their coaches.

“Both of them are having an outstanding camp,” Turner said. “I think it plays out like any other position. We’re going to go through the preseason and we’re going to pick a starter.”

Dobbins came up with an interception during team drills Tuesday, and Burnett broke up a pair of passes in Wednesday morning’s practice. Dobbins, who enters his fourth season in San Diego, has shown improvement each season with the club.

Turner likes the way Burnett has adjusted to a new environment. Particularly over the past few days, Burnett has stood out in practice, which Turner says is a product of the Tennessee grad taking advantage of his opportunities to make plays.

“He’s come in and learned what we’ve asked him to,” Turner said. “He’s very instinctive. He’s got an outstanding burst. What’s happened for him is the plays that we’ve been running and the scheme is designed for that ‘backer to make a bunch of plays and he’s been in a position to make them.”

Double trouble?

Turner is regularly asked about the possibility of finding ways to get LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG] and Darren Sproles[​IMG] on the field at the same time. It’s something Turner and his staff have explored, but it begs a concern.

“We look at it a lot,” Turner said. “The more playmakers you can get on the field the better off you are. The problem with it is one of them has to block, and one has to block some pretty physical people. We’re not going to feature LT to block, and that’s not what Darren does. There are times we can have them both on the field together and there are times when that probably wouldn’t be the best for us.”

Last season, Sproles and Tomlinson did not share the field at any point.

English rests

Linebacker Larry English[​IMG] sat out both of Wednesday practices with a sore hamstring, although Turner doesn’t see his situation as a serious one.

Defensive tackle Jamal Williams[​IMG] and linebacker Shawne Merriman[​IMG] rested Wednesday morning but were back on the field for the night practice. Wide receiver Buster Davis[​IMG] (quad) missed the morning but returned for the night.

Saying thanks

A group of approximately 30 “Wounded Warriors” visited Chargers Park Wednesday morning and took in practice. As players made their way off the field, nearly every one of them stopped and told the servicemen and women, all of whom were injured while serving overseas, how much the Chargers appreciate what they do.

When the Chargers host the Seahawks in their preseason opener next week, they’ll celebrate the team’s 21st Annual Salute to the Military.

FanFest Saturday

Fanfest 2009, sponsored by Bud Light, will take place at Qualcomm Stadium on Saturday beginning with the autograph session at 10:15 and practice immediately after from 11-1 p.m. Parking and admission are free. The parking lot will open at 8a.m. and stadium gates at 9:30 a.m.

FanFest will feature the debut performance of the 2009 Charger Girls, followed by an opportunity for autographs. Free interactive games will be located on the plaza concourse and concession stands will be selling hot dogs for $1.00 each

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/inside-track/5c7cb5f6-a2c7-4e64-ac06-b905bb0d402d

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    $10 bolt cash to the first person who identifies the real news in this article.

*tick tock tick tock*

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703

What is..............

:popcorn:​

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    CHEAPSKATE :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    This reminds me... over the 7 or so years that Leave It To Beaver was on TV, the show used three differrent versions of the same theme song.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Heck, I don't know...Buster actually returned to practice?
    :tup:
    Later

• Like Like x 1
  7. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I want the damm answer... [​IMG]

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    This.
    Just noticed the Rep broke 1000 too. :) Thanks VikingBolt.:tup:

9. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Debut of Charger Girls.

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    the real news: Getting LT and Sproles on the field together.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Dobbins pick off a pass. There's a flash for ya', Gordon.

13. SuperCharger85

SuperCharger85 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3

Run LT to the left, send Sproles towards the right sideline. Someone on the D has to follow Sproles, effectively taking them out of the play, the same as a block. If they don't, fake the run and toss it to Sploles in space. Lots of teams run without a fullback, instead of blocking you stretch the D sideline to sideline and create holes that way.

Too often Norv just lines up in an obvious run formation and just tries to overpower the opposition. This drives me nuts, especially in the first quarter when team are coming out and lining up 8-9 in the box. They know Norv wants to establish the run first, they sell out to stop it and yet we do nothing to take advantage of it.

14. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    And during the opening credits of 'Get Smart', Max was seen driving three different vehicles--

Sunbeam Tiger

VW Karmann Ghia

Opel GT

15. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I only remember the Sunbeam Tiger...

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    $10 to Zot.

Sorry for the delay... I was outta' town all day.

17. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    BUST!

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    ***!! :yes:

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker