1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Instant Debate: Is Tomlinson still an elite fantasy back?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Michael Fabiano (10:53:11 AM): I think LaDainian Tomlinson is at the end of the road. Norv Turner is nuts if he thinks L.T. can handle 325 carries this season.

Craig Ellenport (10:53:30 AM): DEAD WRONG. L.T. loves to be challenged, so he'll thrive on those of you who think he's washed up.

Michael Fabiano (10:54:31 AM): Would A.J. Smith not rather have Michael Turner right now? Yes he would.

Craig Ellenport (10:55:15 AM): Well, the Chargers have been wrong before. And think about this: When you rush for 1,110 yards and 11 TDs and it's considered the beginning of the end, that's saying something.

See the rest of the replys via the link

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm really sick of hearing about if LT still has it!!!

On his worst season.... he got 1,110 yards and 11 touchdowns.
    That's also with the consideration that he had a bad toe, our O line has gone to s***, and our HC still hasn't figured out how to utilize more than one RB in a season!!!

THIS THREAD SUCKS!!!

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    If anyone in my fantasy leagues don't want LT, by all means let me take him ;)

LT is a stud, even hurt and behind a struggling oline he's a top 10 RB. Facts don't lie, even if he's "lost a step" he's still one of the best.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    FF is for fags. :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  6. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    As the guy said- if you're being called done after a 1100yd and 11 TD season which is usually considered a good rushing season for anyone except LT.

It shows just how special and awesome LT really is

• Like Like x 1
  7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :yes:

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'm glad folks are doubting LT, it should make for an interesting year for him. I do believe LT had a good tude adjusment this off-season and that was my biggest concern for the guy.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You are welcome to your opinion but I am afraid it is myopic at best in my opinion.

Fantasy Football has made fans out of many people who were not fans before. Just last season I ran one at work in my department, just for bragging rights.

Two people who did not follow football at the start of the season was fans of the game at the end.

We should not be surprised that people talk about LT's time being up. It has happened to every GREAT NFL player. What does it mean?

LT IS A GREAT NFL PLAYER!

Do you think they would be talking about a so-so RB from SD this way? No.

I believe LT has gas left in the tank and treads left on the tires. This is not LT basing, this is off season talk...

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Well... by "elite fantasy back" what are we talking? Top 3, top 5, top 10?

I think LT still has the ability to go for 1,500 yards and 15 TDs. However, I think that circumstances are going to prevent him from putting up "elite" fantasy numbers.

We actually have some bulldozers at FB and RB and the Martyball days are long gone. We're never going to see three straight hand-offs to LT when we've got a first down on the two yard line. Other guys are going to be getting the rock in goal line situations.

Furthermore, I expect the coaching staff will be tracking LTs carries per game and trying to keep from riding him too hard. No more 30+ touches a game, which means fewer yards and fewer TDs. We simply have too much depth at the tailback position and we're too concerned about his health for LT to get the same exposure he's had in years past. I'm expecting similar numbers to those he put up last year, even if he's healthy for the full season.

11. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    AND for fruit flies ;)

FF is actually for fun - it honestly helped me to better understand the game and to get to know other players/teams outside of my favorites and our division. You should give it a try!!

Don't hate - participate! :abq2:

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol: C'mon Buck.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    FF breeds ball and stat watchers, not fans of the game.

I simply prefer to watch the sport from a team basis, not on how individuals perform.

My *** comment was made in jest. Do you need smilies, too? :lol:

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    you guys can have all that Fantasy stuff.

I want a Lombardi.

If it means more to get a Lombardi then stats, the stats can go bye bye for all I am concerned.

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    If the Chargers light up the skies throwing ball all over the joint and they win games, then Bombs away. If the other team stacks the line to stop LT, and Philip starts throwing it and we move up and down the field, keep LT the decoy in the backfield all game! If the other team tries to stop LT and Sproles just has a field day with them, use LT as a decoy all game. What we don’t need is someone to come in here complaining because LT did not get 2 more yards in a game and touchdown to get 6 more points in his stats!

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I LOVE smilies!!! :yes:

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    True and false. I agree we need to strike when we can as we can. However there are a lot a nay sayers who will take that as an indication that the Chargers have no faith in LT, or there are some who will start bashing the coaching staff for 'misusing' LT in your situation.

What we need is to pull the guard and open the holes. Keep the attack balanced. There is no need for LT to set rushing records, just do his part to keep the O on the field.

18. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Likewise, we don't need PR trying to throw even more and rack up more INT stats just to get a few extra yards to try to lead the league in garbage yards like Jay Cutler was racking up last year against prevent defenses. We also don't need to get into the endzone the hard way when we have maybe the most prolific scorer in the history of the game on the roster who can get the ball into the endzone a multitude of ways and almost never turns the ball over.

We had an injured RB last year and that contributed to an 8-8 record. This offense is best when the rushing attack is lethal and we have balance between the two....sort of like the 90's Cowboys that Norv used to be OC for. We've had success being both a dominant running team and a dominant passing team....Now we can meet in the middle.

With the improvement of PR and the passing game...and a rushing attack back healthy, I don't think anyone will be complaining much if we finally get some luck with injuries this year (knock on wood).

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    But that injured back made Philip throw the ball. And the other teams knew it. Plus with Antonio Gates injured well we all know the ending.

This year everyone comes back healthy!!!!!!!!

Stack the Line to stop LT and Philip will tear you up on those quick slants. Respect the slant and LT should tear them up on the outside!

It all sounds good, right now, lets just hope that we play like we SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats why I dont like all those fantasy Leagues.

I want real league wins with Lombardis!!!!!!!!

20. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I think it's safe to say we all want real wins and lombardi's :tup:

But the original argument was, is LT still a first round pick in a fantasy draft? Will he still get you the type of numbers you need to be competitive and win in a fantasy football league? To which the answer is obviously yes :yes: :D

I'd imagine for most fans it's Real team 1st, Fantasy league 2nd. All I know is it sure makes some of those other games played on Sunday more fun to watch when I have something invested in them besides just the final result. :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I will let you know after I draft. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

Okay, lets say you draft someone on to your fantasy team, that player gets cut, then winds up on the Raiders, are you going to cheer him on?

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I don't really cheer anyone on but the Chargers. Having a player on your fantasy team does not make you a fan of that player...

24. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I don't think anyone on the Raiders is worth drafting. I don't believe that I ever had a Raider on any of my FF teams. :lol:

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I didn’t say that, What I said was, lets just imagine that in the preseason you draft a full team for your fantasy football league. After the last preseason game, a member of your fantasy football league team is cut by the team that he was playing for.

The Raiders immediately sign him to a contract.

Do you root for that guy?

Or do you cut him and get someone else.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Current team, maybe cut him if he cant get points. If he can get points for your FF team, then keep him.

It doesnt make you his fan, it means you are trying to get points for your make believe team...:tup:

27. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    The way that fantasy football works, you're not going to be drafting people that are going to get cut. If you're drafting guys that have a possibility of getting cut, then you're drafting to lose.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I don't think many people here put LT or PR's fantasy stats over the team itself......well....aside from possibly those NC State fans who really just adopted the Chargers because of PR.....but in either case, a successfull fantasy year for LT and PR translates well to the success of this team.

I guarantee you that Marty Schottenheimer of all people was not feeding LT the ball 400+ times a year (passing and receiving) to try to boost his stats....Marty at least knew that he had the most devastating offensive weapon in football on his team at the time and he rode it to a 14-2 record.....This team was not balanced enough for the playoffs however and the lack of development of our 1st year QB and receivers was exposed in the Patriots game in 2006....a game which we should have dominated.

Likewise, last year when we show up in Pittsburgh and can't run the ball an inch, we were doomed against a stout defense that makes adjustments well.

Initially, I didn't like what we were doing with the offense...moving away from a run oriented team....but I recognize now that it needed to be done...and we needed to go through some growing pains to turn PR into a top tier QB and have a fluid passing attack....We have a team that is far better prepared now to exploit defenses than ever before....If healthy, this offense can be absolutely lethal and only the Patriots rival the kind of weaponry we bring to the table.

• Like Like x 1
  29. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I cut him. The Raiders as a team are so bad that anyone who plays for them has no fantasy value. Just ask Javon Walker.

30. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I do both and enjoy both. Fantasy football is fun, but watching the Chargers is more fun. I want to win my league AND watch the Chargers win the Super Bowl.

It's not like the two are mutually exclusive.

In the old days I would watch the Chargers and not give much of a **** about any other games. Fantasy has made me more interested in watching other games.