1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Intensity, Consistency, Focus, Execution

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Oct 1, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    These are the things that are at the root of our current struggles.

Intensity
    We just aren't playing with fire. We are playing flat and emotionless for long periods of time. On the rare occasions where we do play with emotion, it seems forced.

Consistency
    In short, we have none. We have played well in all phases of the game, but only erratically. Take yesterday's game. We come out, jump up 10-0 and are in complete command. LT breaks off a 15 yard run (on which Hardwick drove Donnie Edwards 10 yards off the ball and pancaked him). Enter Michael Turner. Last year (see TN game), Turner would have broken off a big run and the game would be on its way to becoming a laugher. Instead, Turner fumbles the ball, the Chiefs' inept offense turns it into three points, and instead of a laugher we have a one score game.

Focus
    Whether it's O-line hand placement, keeping your eye on the ball (see VJ's drop) or looking back for the ball on a pass route(see LT), the player's attention to detail just sucks.

Execution
    Even when the players are in a position to make a play, they aren't. Their missing tackles, dropping balls, overthrowing receivers.

I think all of these things can be tied directly to coaching. I'm the last person to say this 1-3 start is all Norv's fault. But I think he has to bare a large part of the blame for the team's erratic play. The player's need to play better, clearly. But they also need their coaches to get them to focus on the things that will enable them to be successful.

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I agree 100% boltssb. In my mind all of these issues fall under the umbrella of discipline. Which is absolutely positively the head coaches responsibility. The only major glaring issue you don't bring up here (which I think is a 75% of the reason we're 1-3, and which also is compeltely a discipline issue) is taking care of the MFin' rock.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Those are all the things that Norv has stripped us of and he couldn't discipline a preteen!!!!

4. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    This post should be framed. You zeroed in on all of the issues.

I think the players have to stop feeling sorry for themselves and permanently shelve the playoff game in January and the last 3 weeks.

It's time this team puts together 60 minutes of good football. And then keep doing it and doing it and doing it.

5. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Question: Do you guys think some of this has to do with the possiblity that we overachieved last year? This question has been nagging me all day after I read Acee's chat wrap.

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Can u give me the linky to Acee's chat wrap. I saw Canepa's but not Acee's. Was it done since the KC game?... Tks in advance.:tup:

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good post BSBB. I fully agree..

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    http://sandiegochargers.blogspot.com/

dunno if any of u have seen this stuff, some of it really makes me laugh esp this one......

'The corners are doing their best Travis Henry impression and couldn't cover their ***** with a condom'

Funny guy.:tup:

9. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
  10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
  11. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Eleven in a row baby. Lets do this Bolts!

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Well we're saved now.
    I just got my new jersey in the mail, now we're a lock for 12 strait!!

13. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22