1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Breakdown of Big Plays

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargersfan101, Jan 16, 2007.

1. chargersfan101

chargersfan101 BoltTalker

Oct 31, 2006
    I found an interesting breakdown of the biggest swings in win probability from this weekend. Here is an excerpt:

3rd quarter, 4:30, With SD up 14-10, Charger Drayton Florence commits an unnecessary roughness penalty.
    SD's Win Probability before penalty: 65%
    SD's Win Probability after penalty: 55%
    Impact -10%
    This penalty comes right after the Patriots lose four yards on a busted play, forcing 4th-and-17 from the SD 33 yard line. Florence headbutts Daniel Graham, drawing the flag and giving New England a first down at the 18 yard line. The "bonehead" play of the game goes to Florence, not Marlon McCree's interception return attempt. At least McCree was trying to help his team - Florence was just seeking personal revenge.

If you would like to read the whole article here is the link:

2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

May 22, 2006
    Yeah, the idiotic penalty by Florence was a killer.

McCree's play was also boneheaded, but as a DB it's hard not to intercept a ball that goes right into your stomach. Nobody could have predicted a fumble.

God... such waste.
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006
    I disagree that McCrees return attempt was a boneheaded play. They are suposed to try and return it, not just fall on it unless it is the final seconds of the game and you are winning.

he was trying to put the O in a good position, I will never fault him for that. I give props to the Pats players for putting the pressure on the ball and knocking it out.
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Does anyone suspect D-Flo pocketed some cash to "throw the game". :icon_twisted:

Consider D-Flo is competing with illegal shoes and the "purple" and what do you have ???? :icon_eek:
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    thank you
    frankly everyone screaming at McCree to bat it down has never played defense in football ever. Its your goal to go for the ball and intercept it. We have been screaming at our DBs to catch the freakin thing and McCree finally does and he gets yelled at. Honestly it was a headsup play by Brown and a good play by McCree

Now D-Flo, no excuses at all:no:
  6. Kwak

Kwak ....

May 25, 2006
    Watch that McCree play in slomo. Looked like he didn't catch it cleanly and he was bobbling the ball before he secured it. Could have been a questionable "did he have possession before it was stripped " call?

Wish I still had the recording, but I was so pissed after the game I deleted it from my Tivo.