1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting limitiations on Free Agency next year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Seems kinda messed up to me. The teams that do well get penalized? So, if they want, the Pats could become the NY Yankees of the NFL next year?

:tdown:

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The Redskins will beat them to it. :yes:

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Agreed! Sounds like some pretty stupid rules. Chargers never are big players in free agency, so I don't see this affecting them much, still it's lame. :tdown:

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Spending frenzies in football never seem to pay off, but with the new rules that might change given the amount of freedom non-playoff teams will have.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Well these weren't rules set up for an every year system so much as they were for a year to hold things together while the two sides try not to cause a work stoppage.

I agree they're stupid but I also believe they are there as a stop gap not a solution

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, we must also remember that about 200 players that would be UFA in 2010 will actually be RFA. It will really lower the number of available UFA that other teams can freely sign without having to give up draft picks.

So, the limited number of true UFA will make each one able to command lots of money from the Cowboys, Patriots, and Redskins, etc.

I think all the Chargers' would-be UFA in 2010 will be RFA. If we lose them, we'll get a crap load of draft picks.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    The other thing it will allow teams to do is Dump Overprice Players that are not doing **** for their team.

The Cap used to prevent this, but now that the there will be no cap in 2010, some high priced vets with big cap hits are going to be on the street.

1st round busts can also be dumped with out worrying about the cap hit. (Jamarcus)

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think I remember that being said somewhere. And if it means we have NFL football next year then I'm good with it.

Good points.

10. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    according to this we could keep travis johnson for 1 mil or lose him and get a 1st round draft pick. seems like a good deal to me.

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    WUT??

Because he was drafted in the first round? Does it apply when the the FA is not on the team that drafted him?

12. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    It applies, because he was traded to us, so we assumed the remainder of his rookie contract. We gave up a 6th rounder (5th rounder with enough playing time).

He'll be a RFA in an uncapped 2010.

At worst, we trade away a 5th rounder for him, and get a 3rd rounder or better in compensation for him.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I wonder if Al Davis will take proper advantage of this. Detroit could profit well from the situation. If we did lose a number of RFA's, we'd be in a good position to trade up for a serious need of Fat Boys.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Unfortunately would that mean if we lose Jackson and McNeil we'd gain only second rounders? And only a fourth for Sproles?
    If that's the case what the heck would we get for Floyd?

Based on THAT I'm starting to worry if this wouldn't be a time for teams like the Patriots or the Packers or anyone else for that matter to just pick us clean

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Sproles will be a UFA.

Jackson and McNeil will both be RFA and we can tender the 1 & 3 offer sheets. We can do that with every RFA that we feel is worthy.

And tag others with #1, #2 or Round Drafted.

4 types of RFA tags.