1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Interview with Vincent Jackson's agent on XX1090

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 24, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The agent had fear in his voice

I just heard this interview.

The agent has not spoken to AJ about VJ and can only talk to Ed McGuire. The agent did not sound all that bright.

VJ needs to hire me. :helm1:

3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The topic the little bastard avoids is the fact that Vincent Jackson HAD NO LEVERAGE when he decided to holdout instead of take the 3.2mil tender.

4. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I found the interview to be rather enlightening. CRUSHED is this fairy tale that AJ Smith ever told Jackson's camp he needed to come in, sign his tender and something long-term would be considered. This was actually reworded and asked a second time. It's amazing he still wants to play for the Chargers.

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That is because DEAN SPANOS - the owner - said it or inferred "sign the tender and we will see"

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Spanos: It's on VJ and McNeill - SignOnSanDiego.com

In his first public comments, Spanos put the onus on Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill.

“They have put themselves in this position,” Spanos said. “We did not put them in this position. It’s very clear to me, obviously, the CBA changed this year … We tendered them the highest possible offer we could, which is $3.2 or $3.3 million, which far exceeded their previous four years salaries collectively. They had 2½ months to go out and find a team to play for. They didn’t, or couldn’t. They elected at the end of 2 ½ months to not sign the tender. That’s the end of the story.

“It was a business decision they made. I wish they were here, I wish they were playing for us. I believe they need to sign the tenders and come in and see what happens after that.”

7. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    His agent sounds like he's got VJs balls in his mouth and sh!t for brains. The dude is only looking for a big payday at the Chargers expense. Never met or talked with AJ... How can you call yourself an agent dude?

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    LOL.
    Who are the Redskins signing?

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't think the agent understands the position AJ is in.

A) We have at least 9 other guys who need new contracts next year, not including MM and VJ.
    B) AJ has set up a prescedent in San Diego that those who hold out do not get paid until they show up.
    C) Jackson has too many off field issues to fork over what the agent would call an "appropriate amount" of money for a WR of his caliber.

This guy got greedy, he promised more than he could deliver, he is in over his head with AJ Smith, and he tried to take shortcuts rather than use the proper channels to get his man paid. And he may have done long term damage to his own carrer with the childish outbursts toward AJ in the media.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Why does that need to be said?

AJ's actions have shown over and over and over again that if you don't play hardball tactics with him he'll pay you.

Antonio Gates, LT, Philip Rivers, Luis Castillo...the list goes on of people who AJ has paid.

11. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Dean Spanos: "We tendered them the highest possible offer we could..." Anyone with the comprehension skill of a 4-yr-old already knows this was yet another blatant lie! To suggest otherwise is a gross misrepresentation of fact. Indeed, it is a widely held perception, based on more than a single statement by Spanos that Jackson needed to sign his tender and things would work out, just as it has for others. We've been literally inundated with all this nonsense about "precedent", and I dare say no one has propagated this BS anymore than Trumpet Man.

Leo: When the fuq are you going to understand that the Chargers front office in no way holds Vincent Jackson in the same light as Philip Rivers or any of those examples you mention? Jonathan Feinsod repeatedly stated that Smith wouldn't meet with them. At no time did Smith ever tell Jackson that if he would just sign, it would lead to something similar to the very type of compensation you suggest it would have! When do you realize you've been lied to? The fact that Jackson's agents have been directed to negotiate with the team's "capologist" Ed McGuire, really ought to tell you something.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    What about your open mindedness? You misrepresented AJ getting CRUSHED by a comment he did not make yet you stay quiet?

Why the tap dance ?

You now have the CBA link which shows the tender scale and now feign ignorance the tender was not the maximum under the rules.

They call that smoke and mirrors or misrepresentation - AGAIN.

Further, ALL CONTRACTS are done by our capologist, Ed McGuire (the author of the CBA) which makes sense and should tell YOU something. The GM and Owner set a value for each player. Ed negotiates the details and fine print. Bada bing.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Mark -

120% of the players previous salary is a calculation you need to learn how to do. You have used that as a holy grail the Chargers could have offered MORE money.

What you fail to realize is that if you knew how to do math, you would realize the tender of $3.2 million was MORE than 120% of the players previous years salary.

Read that last sentence real slowly and if you need a math huddle breakdown - ask.

14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Rewarding a suspended player with a new contract? Not one but two DUI's? Recognize the idiot did not learn the first time. If it happens again he will be suspended for a season. Now tell me again why we should pay this guy? Is he and his agents too stupid to realize that because of his off field issues is value is not as high?

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Head meet wall. This kid will never get it. I think he's the 2nd coming of B4L

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    No shiit Sherlock

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    He is the reason that I hate VJ! :lol:

18. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

No doubt. :lol:

19. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Trumpet Man:

I never contended that AJ Smith had been crushed, but the perception many people here have been under. One you have widely propagated. Although, Smith has on many occasions enforced that perception as well. My point pertaining to the team's capologist, and this has been reported elsewhere, is that Smith himself has been completely disengaged from the process. Now, based on the insight you've provided (that Smith is rarely involved in any contract discussion), my comment doesn't enforce that fact. I further viewed the role of the capologist emphasizing my belief that the Chargers are a profit-margin first, type organization. Many would contend that the Chargers are an elite team or at least in the top eight. Yet, if what I've read is correct, they're well below the league avg of team salary. Ah, yet another shining example of Smith's shrewd managerial expertise I presume.

My point regarding the 120% increase, as predicated in the CBA, pertained to next year, not last year. My understanding is that if the Chargers were to offer something even remotely close to Jackson's actual market value (6-7M), then to franchise him next year would mean he'd make upwards of 13M or more. He would of course sign it. All these FAs coming due and Jackson is the guy they'll make the priority next year to franchise? I can't see it.

Doug:

Like many others you resort to a fallacy, going from one extreme to the next. No one is saying the Chargers must offer more. However, since they do not share Jackson's perceived value, then the logical solution is to part ways. Comparable compensation was in fact offered to the Chargers. But, for the foreseeable future, they prefer to have nothing and to send a message to players they insist on low-balling in the future.

20. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Markrc: I seem to recall hearing recently that AJ has Ed McGuire handle ALL of the contract negotiations, so dealing with the "capologist" is stardard procedure, not an insult.

VJ is a talented player. He has also exhibited poor decision making skills on and off the field. The Chargers organization does not have the confidence that VJ won't continue to make poor decisions that would have a negative impact on the team... i.e. a long suspension or costly penalties during games. With so many other players needing new contracts over the next 12 months, would you overpay for a player with Jackson's track record? I say overpay, because I believe he is asking for a boatload of money. Hold out or not, we were not going to have his services for the first three games this season because the league suspended him for 3 games for his DUI arrests...and this genius gets pulled over ON THE MORNING OF A PLAYOFF GAME and gets popped for driving with a suspended license.

Important safety tip: Alcohol and football players are not a good mix...do the names Foley and Kiel ring a bell?

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    According to the Chargers Director of Public Relations, Bill Johnson who was kind enough to return my email, AJ’s duties are defined as this:

Bottom line, A.J. is responsible for building a winning team, both now and next year and the year after and the year after and so on. That includes acquiring players and building the roster, getting the right players, signing players, keeping players, juggling the salary cap, deciding who gets how much, building and maintaining a winning coaching staff, etc. etc. etc. Ultimately he’s in charge everyone and everything that has anything to do with our product on the field.

22. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    The agent is a DOUCHE a New York DOUCHE at that!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  23. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Although I'm sure I am in the small minority, I would like to see VJ sign his tender and return to the team. I think it would be a humbled and more learned player. His agent has screwed him...it is VJ's responsibility to decide who represents him, but it seems he saw $$$$$.

He is a talented player who stretches the field and makes some great catches, and if this experience is a learning moment for him, then bring him on!

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Sounded like the prototypical slimeball agent to me. I'm amazed at VJ. I would have given more credit than believing guys like this. He needs to lose this guy and get himself a proper respectful agent, if such a thing exists.

25. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    and if VJ would have come out like Castillio did and say that if he ever gets caught again drinking and driving, he would lose his paycheck. Then they would have talked. But he has an agent who has taken him out of his game. And I do not think he is man enough to admit it. So he will sit on the sidelines and pout about it.

26. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276

His agent is delusional. He never did his homework on AJ and therefore put Jackson in a very bad position. If he did he would realize that AJ wants the guy in camp before they'll do any serious negotiations.

But I think you're right in that there is no way AJ thinks of Jackson in the same light as Rivers, Gates, etc. Who would? Jackson has turned into a complete azz with his new found fame. He hasn't handled it well with DUIs arrests, suspended licenses... seemingly flaunting his "football star" status and expecting everyone else to kiss his rump. Well no one's doing it and VJ and that worthless P-of-S
    are sitting on the sidelines wondering WTF happened on the way to their big payday.

McNeil saw the light and is back in camp as of today... smart move MM. I can smell a long term deal in his future.

In this song and dance it is AJ who is the fiddler and he's playing the music not VJ or his agent.

27. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Exactly. Rivers is not a freaking dumbass off and on the field.

I wonder how much this troll is getting kicked by VJs agents to try and stir up fan anger against the chargers FO? His is failing in a major way.

This guy definitely has B4L disease. Another Pavlovian.

28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    So, in answer to my previous question, your redskins aren't doing anything?

29. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    poway, Kwak

You two have proven only that you don't possess the mental capacity to understand the argument. Hence, the mindless drivel out into east Jesus somewhere. It has been you and others who have constantly gone on about "precedence", the manner in which AJ Smith negotiates with players. That Jackson needed merely to report and things would've worked out. Repeatedly, Rivers & Gates have been put forth as examples. Those of us possessing superior intellect have known all along that was complete BS, which Jonathan Feinsod's interview clearly establishes! For the 87th fuq'n time, the whole planet knows Jackson is a worthless bum, a fuq'n alcoholic, my god, a beanie-kicker... FINE, GET RID OF HIM!!! Jackson, as best he could, has been the good soldier, and for peanuts! Sorry, it still isn't enough? Well then alright, let the man go and get a second chance. That said, the timing of McNeill's return couldn't have been more fortuitous.

Carlsbad:

My reply to others was in no way meant to address your question. I apologize for forgetting. I don't believe I understood what your point was. Could you expand a little?

30. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Looking at what the Chargers are paying players in an uncapped year is anomalous. If you look back over the last several years, the Bolts have been at or near the salary cap every year. They have a ton of players whose contracts expire after this year. Many of these players will get extensions. The only way the Chargers will have the money to do this is if they refrain from blowing their salary on high priced free agents, risky in house players (i.e Jackson and Merriman, etc.) Ed McGuire is their money guy. The fact that the guy who best understands the cap also negotiates contracts in no way proves they are cheap. It proves they are concerned with getting all of their players signed within the constraints of the salary cap.

You seem to use a lot of words incorrectly. You say "comparable" compensation was offered. Comparable to what? As for the 120% thing, this is a really simple concept. I explained it to you before, but you still do not understand. The player does not receive a 120% raise. He receives 120% of his previous year's salary, which is a 20% raise. If I made $100,000 last year, and made 120% of that this year, then my salary this year is $120,000, not $220,000. Do you understand the difference?

Your insistence that the Chargers are cheap is really silly. They signed Rivers to a huge extension. They signed Gates to a huge extension. In the past they have signed other worthy players to huge extensions. The fact that Chargers don't rush out and sign high priced free agents has nothing to do with being cheap. It has to do with having a certain philosophy in regards to building a team. The Chargers believe you build a great team through drafting well, retaining your top talent and occasionally signing a mid level free agent or trading for a good player who might help you plug a hole (i.e. Burnett, McCardell, etc.) Reducing the tenders on McNeill and VJ had nothing to do with being cheap. VJ is not in their long term plans because his off the field issues. McNeill will get a contract extension, but not while he is holding out. The Chargers are hesitant to extend a bunch of contracts when they have no idea what the new CBA is going to look like or how long a potential work stoppage might last.

Brandon Marshall was traded for 2 2nd round picks. AJ asked only for a 2nd next year and a 3rd the year after. That is not out of line. It's perfectly reasonable. Talk about fallacies, how does demanding certain compensation in a trade send a message to players that you are going to low-ball them in the future? The Chargers do not low ball players they sign to extensions. They pay them at a level commensurate with their peers.

• Like Like x 1