1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Iran - Lesbian Polygamy capital of the world

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 26, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=76473

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

Kano State government has ordered police to arrest five women, Aunty Maiduguri and her four women spouses whom she married with full celebration over the weekend, contrary to the Shari’a legal system being operated in the state.
    Government has also ordered demolition of three theatres in farm centre, Kano including the theatre where the marriage ceremony took place. The theatre was host to the celerity marriage where an estimated 2,000 people attended.

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    :unsure: makes me sad

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    why?:icon_huh:

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Couple reasons... first and foremost the idea of five Iranian women dykin' out in their burkas strikes me as both amusing and slightly erotic.

But more importantly I guess I have relatively liberal views when it comes to love & marriage. I think if two people (or five people) find love with eachother they ought to be able to pursue it. 2,000 people attended the ceremony... this wasn't like some backwoods betrothing of a fourteen year old to her forty-six year old second cousin. I think I'd be lucky to find 2,000 people that would be happy with the idea of me getting married. So for all those people to show up to support this five-somes attempt at commitment, I believe, lends great credibility to their relationships.

Sure culturally it seems weird to us (and clearly to the powers that be in Iran, as well) but I try to refrain from assuming that what I think is right and normal ought to be the standard for the whole planet. Clearly these five women wanted to be together, and there were 2,000 people that seemed to think it wasn't a bad thing. No harm, no foul. But more than anything else I think it's about love. I don't think people ought to be restrained from pursuing the things that they love (within reason, and I don't think lesbian polygamy is totally unreasonable).

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    After reading this excellent article posted by BDH I have another reason it bums me out. In absolute 100% seriousness I believe that sexual opression in the middle east contributes greatly to unhappiness within conservative middle eastern cultures. I mean, it might sound like I'm trying to funny, but the list of things I enjoy more than sex and alcohol is pretty god damn short. How can I be happy that a miserably theocratic government is furthering an objective of control through opression and indoctrination? I much prefer the idea of people excercizing the freedom to resist tyrany to the idea of tyrany burying freedom.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    :lol: :tup:

7. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    What I found so amusing about this is that Iran, a ME country that stones lesbians and gays (literally), has a huge polygamous lesbian wedding with 2000 guests. And the Iranian government's response is A. chase them in a scene that in my mind reminds me of a Benny Hill skit B. bulldoze the hall so that their 'cooties' don't affect anyone. For one of the most repressive regimes to have THIS is positively hilarious.

Btw I'm not a big fan of gay marriage but I'd be more hten happy to put them in another category (domestic unions) because marriage has been teh same for 50,000 yrs of human civilization and I don't like messing with things that have worked for so long

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I applaud the Kano State Government for doing what they did.:clap:It is also funny as well.
    I am against Gay and Lesbian marriage because it can lead to other types of marriage in the future. I do not want that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I can appreciate both the entertainment qualities of the story, and you and Turbo's respect for the sanctity of marriage. But when you look at divorce rates it kinda detracts from the credibility of the institution itself. Not that that makes it okay for us to start changing the definition, I'm just not totally sold on marriage being a highly succesful or relevent endeavor in today's day and age.

And Turbo I have to know what other kinds of marriages could potentially follow as a result of legalizing same sex marriage. I just don't really see a slippery slope here.