1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is a healthy Bob Sanders the missing piece to our Super Bowl puzzle?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Workplay, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    The Saints did it with Darren Sharper last year. Let's say that the Chargers are only missing one piece to the puzzle. What do you think it is? What are we missing?

2. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    We need improved tactics, we've had a SB level talented team since MartyBall.
    Yes, Sanders was the best piece to pick up. I'd try get another great DB for special teams/starter. You can never have enough DB's, they get hurt. Also they can play on kick-off/kick-returns and specials team's 2 area's greatly over looked when choosing what player type's to have around for back-ups/starters.
    Also top o-lineman.

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    There was more to what the Saints did than just Darren Sharper. They brought in Gregg Williams from Jacksonville who completely revamped their defense and made it largely more aggressive and attacking-based. They brought in Jonathan Vilma via trade. And Sharper, because their defense was in uber-attack mode constantly, was basically alowed to freelance on almost every play... he roamed that's it. But the Saints also miraculously manage to produce a rushing attack to complement their lethal passing offense. That's what got them to and through a SB.

We still need stronger trenches. The right side of our OL needs to either pick themselves up by the bootstraps and get their proverbial ish together or hit the bricks. Our defensive front 3 - not named Antonio Garay, and yes this includes Luis - need to stop getting blowing back at the point of attack. They're losing ground too easily and it's significantly harder to stack and shed when you're backpedalling and trying to hold the POA versus sticking your assigned man off the snap and making your move.

Sanders - if healthy - helps because he's a versatile safety that can do it all who is a live-wire on the field (he plays balls to the wall which is an attitude this defense has sorely lacked a number of times last season). He also doesn't force Weddle - assuming Eric is resigned - into any one specific role which is good because Weddle, while not elite, is quite good at being a jack of all trades, master of none type.

If we supplement Bob Sanders with some low level signings like Jason Hatcher or Robaire Smith (old yes, but mid 30's is actually prime for not oft-injured DT's, and Smith's a very good stop-gap option) and Evan Mathis or Daniel Fells (who I don't see the Rams trying to re-sign because he doesn't fit McD's defense particularly well), and use 2 of our first 4 picks on a 5-Tech DE and a legitimate multi-tool RT. Then we may well be looking at a completed puzzle, so to speak, provided we can avoid the injury bug that has raped us the last two seasons.

4. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    The LBC, Don't forget how the NFL ref's felt sorry for the Saints after the hurricane and allowed their D lineman to illegally club opposing QB's that year including the playoff's. It's a lot easier to win when 1 team can injure to the point of taking out opposing QB's for 1 year knowing they would not get penalized. Don't expect to see the Saints getting any more freeB's in the future. Can you guess how many illegal hits to the head the Saints gave to opposing QB's during just the playoffs that year alone?

"1 COOL GUY's" in site of the day! Maybe we could push the fires that happen down here or the illegal aliens issue and not get many penalties next year? Also get another field goal kicker for the play-off's knowing he will be paid off to miss.

Maybe I know things, maybe I don't?

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I think a healthy ryan matthews and VJ more than like 3 games is the missing piece of our puzzle. If we have VJ Floyd TOlbert and Matthews the #1 offense will get even better.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    It's not McD's defense. He's their Offensive Coordinator.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    A piece - perhaps. The piece - no.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    When one thinks of the San Diego Charger's what is it that comes to mind? Offense, it's what the whole team tradition has been forged in. While BS may bring some "tude" to this defense, it will take more than one player to scale the wall of defensive greatness.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Rodney with the Patriots. Was he the piece? Not at all, but he was a nice piece who helped out more than just on the field.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Isn't that what I just said? A piece. Part of a team. IMO, a good acquisition but he alone will not put us over the top.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I was agreeing with you, just using Rodney as an example.

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Touche, sir. Well played.

Edit: That said, does not mean he's a player I don't have interest in. His hands showed promise this past season (and I'd wager strongly to say that Rivers' accuracy is superior to Bradford's at this point - and a fair amount of the catches Fells suffered losing were due to them being stretch-to-let-them-hit-his-hands grabs), but Fells is an underrated blocker (indicative by the fact that Pat Shurmur doesn't let mediocre blockers pass his muster - see any TE Philadelphia had during his tenure).

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm so jacked to see BobZilla in a Bolt uni. Love this guy :)

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Put a sock on it and save yourself the cleanup.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    i fear RM is never rgonna be able to hold onto the rock unless someone Tiki's his ***. the guy runs like the cops are after him but the ball is always hang'in in space. i hope i am wrong.
    beefy beefers is truly what's for drafting this year. we need upgrades on both sides...
    i thought i heared the draft is deep on d-line (could be wrong), dunno about o-line.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Actually this draft class breaks down in an almost ideal matching with the strategy and approach that AJ typically uses.

It's deep in terms of quality OL talent but doesn't really have a ton of elite OL talent - which is fine for us because AJ doesn't value OL highly in the draft, having only used a pick higher than a 3rd on any OL position once and that was the 2nd used to draft McNiell in a very shallow OT class that year.

It's top-heavy with high quality defenders, and particularly DL guys - once you get past the 2nd round though the pickings are going to get really slim, so thankfully we have two 2nd's in addition to the 1st, so hopefully that forces AJ's hand into taking some big, prime USDA beef in the 1st.

There are a number of WR's of the variety that we usually covet (tall, filled out, and while maybe lacking elite speed possessing the route-running tools to make up for lack of speed) that are likely to slide to at worst the 3rd round and in some cases even to possibly the 6th, 7th, or UDFA status.

18. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Defense is more important than offense. If u don't understand why go look at statistics. Go compare average D ranks compared to O ranks in SB' both teams. Everyone loves to buy toys like offensive players. If Charger fans want to get serious about winning we need to change our draft/signing tactics as well. No more 1st round offensive players unless they O-lineman (Guess what round genius B.B drafted Tom Brady?- U think he knows what I'm talking about?). Frustrating being a Chargers fan. Remember when everyone was obsessed by LT supposedly over the hill and wanting to get ride of him? Yet our lack of D talent is so much a bigger issue, not realized =/.

D can score points off picks/fumbles etc. 1 single pick/fumble leds to 3 points often= offense. So if u really, really smart u can understand this. *HINT* offenses cannot stop D's. So actually that should clear up the value of prioritizing D's over O's. If u don't understand still that's ok. Just trust me. The math that proves this as a fact is so overwhelming I won't post my formula that proves this so other ppl don't get this info spread to other teams before the Chargers get this.

A Defense can score 7 points & shut out other teams 7-0 win. An offense no matter how good can fumble or throw a pick sooner or later and if D suxs other team will out score your team like the Chargers in Fouts days. The best Chargers ever did was when they had D star* #55 Junior S. Simply put AJ should be doing a 80/20 rule. 80% on D players when available. 20% on offense. One of our smart fans said before that teams like the PATS/Colts run no huddle more often than most due to make up for weaknesses. A very interesting thought. When he completely see's clearly he will realize no matter your talent level on offense, no huddle should be ran all the time.

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Signed Marty Schottenheimer

20. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    14-2 year we had way more pro bowl D players than O ones right? I'd take being #1 seed any year and losing in playoffs at home due to some unlucky fumbles.

21. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    You're a ******* idiot who just makes up "facts" to support when you need it. The ONLY defensive players on the Chargers in the Pro Bowl were Merriman and Jamal Williams.

22. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    But losing at home as the #2 seed in a 13-3 season is unacceptable. :mad:

23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Very well again. Agree.