1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is anybody else changing their tune about Norv Turner?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thread_Killer, May 10, 2007.

1. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I will be the first to admit that I’ve been lukewarm about the hiring of Norv Turner to replace Marty.

But after reading minicamp impressions from both the fans and media, I’m starting to feel that this can actually work. Norv seems to be in control, seems to have a clear idea of what this Charger team needs to accomplish to get ready for 2007.

I was also impressed by Norv’s interview this morning on 1090. He speaks with a quiet confidence that belies his butt-ugly record as a head coach. :lol:

Anyways, I just wanted to see what you guys think. If things keep going in this direction, I might think about changing my avatar in the next few months. :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Thanks for the update on your feelings, Mr. Kerry. :nana_dance:

• Like Like x 2
  3. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    nah, I wont change my tune on Norval Reddenbacher until he actually proves he can win as a head coach! If he doesnt win with this team, this will probably be his last shot, because this team could win 10 games with no coach on the sidelines! Norval is nothing more right now than a good offensive coordinator.....His 58-82-1 career coaching record proves that! But we will see I guess!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Well I haven't exactly been excited about Norv Turner but after hearing and reading alot of what TK has described I feel a little bit better. That said I've learned the hard way not to panic when the GM makes a move I don't like (especially a very good GM).

All the Raiders fans on my softball team are giving me a lot of crap about Norv. It's all good though because they'll all owe me beers and cigars after we kick their asses again this year. :yes: :bolt2:

• Like Like x 2
  5. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I still think he's a bad head coach. He might be confident because he has a good team to back him up but we'll see how good he can call the shots this year. There is a big difference between calling plays and managing a team.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Hell no I aint changin my tune!!!

I have been behind him 100% the whole time!

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    do you like anything?

• Like Like x 1
  8. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    :tup: :tup:

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

If it's not a player from USC and/or a player that has had multiple run-ins with the law, then no.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

11. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Norv was pretty charismatic on the radio. Like I said, it was quiet confidence, the sense that he isn't in over his head.

PS. Hey Conc, I can bring up at least ten threads started by you, to show how much you hated Norv before minicamp. :icon_rofl:

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Well I agree. You should change your avatar. Bring back one of the old skool TK avatars with the hot chicks! :tup:

• Like Like x 2
  13. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    i think norv was a good hire and i support it, but what's more reassuring is the staff that's onboard this year. yes his record of 58-82-1 is not so pleasing. but after this season it'll be 75-84-1, and after the 2008 season it'll be above .500, just you wait and see.

:helm1: SAN DIEGO SUPER CHARGERS!!! :helm1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    You almost have to dismiss his 9-23 record at Oakland, because I doubt even Belly-chick or Parcells could have done better there. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Well, I think AJ knew what he was doing when he hired Norv. From what I can tell for the last few years is that AJ knows a hell of a lot more about NFL football than anyone on this message board. So I have total faith in the Norv hire. I expect to, at the very least, win two playoff games this year.

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Norv has 2 things he hasn't had at any of his other jobs:

1-A good young QB who is a team-leader.

2-A defense.

The only other time Norv had those two things (and we're talking a fraction of the Chargers' skill-level) he went 10-6 and took the Skins to the playoffs.

Then Brad Johnson left and Norv was back to trying to teach yet another young QB his offense.

I'll bet Norv feels like ever since he left Dallas he's done nothing but teach his system to young / new QB's. Hell, have ANY of his teams had QB's who were there long enough to advance beyond the "don't make huge mistakes" level? I'm excited to see what he can do with a QB who already has a grasp on the system.

• Like Like x 1
  17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    And if the new owner Snyder wouldn't have fired Norv that next season before it ended, he would have gone 10-6 again and reached the playoffs again.

18. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    its gonna be a great season:yes: :yes:

19. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I'm not thrilled with him, because I was hoping for some new young badass coach and not another retread. But, the players seem confident in him, he hasn't pissed me off, and all the signs like it already being his system and stuff has pretty much converted me. It's not like I'd be feeling more confident if it was Marty...

• Like Like x 1
  20. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Ill take it if you ever wanted to change it :abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Rip has to have a controversial avatar or he has nothing at all. :lol:

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'm just happy Marty's gone.

• Like Like x 1
  23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Play any damn tune you wish, we're stuck with him. I just hope we keep winning and get that elusive ring.:bolt2:

• Like Like x 1
  24. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I find it funny when I read all these posts of people explaining Norv's head coaching faliures. Where were these excuses before though? Or what about those who say that they've thought he was a good hire from the begining? where were your threads promoting him before the bolts hired him? Oh wait you didn't make any because no one really felt he was a legitimate candidate.

I understand that time has passed and the shock has worn down and we're all pretty much used to the idea of him being the head coach. But I see too many people out there making it seem like he was their first choice all along. That's just funny.

25. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think Parcells and Bellechick would of commanded more respect out of their players. Ask Corey Dillon and Keyshawn.

26. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    They would have been overruled by The Cryptkeeper Al Davis. So, Parcells and Belly-chick wouldn't have had any authority because the players could always complain to Big Al and he'd make the ruling.

27. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I wasn't particulary thrilled with Norv's hire, I wanted Ryan instead

I don't know if I can "change my tune" right now, I'll wait after a few games before doing so, BUT, I we make it to the playoffs I'll be way happier with him than with Marty

• Like Like x 1
  28. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I'll tell you what. I was somewhat indifferent with the Norv hire back when it was announced.

I had wanted Ryan as well.

However, Norv wins a playoff game, suddenly everybody in San Diego will be wearing "Norv for Prez" T-Shirts.

He takes us to the Super Bowl, all the chicks in San Diego will want to bear his children, and all the dudes will name their next child after him (even if it's a girl).

29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    QFT

:abq2: