1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Anyone Else Here Worried That......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Jul 22, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Merriman and Cromartie are going to cost us an arm and a leg (and more body parts & cash) to keep them in a Bolts uniform or is it just me? :icon_huh:

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I doubt that we keep both. I think that both Merriman & Cro are going to be looking for BIG paychecks - probably bigger than AJ will shell out. If both continue to improve, I'd have to give the nod to Cro. Linebackers are a lot easier to find than outstanding corners.

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think you're right Buck. Corners esp. one's like Cro are a rare find. The bad thing is that somebody like the Cheats will sign Merriman. DAMMIT that would be my worst Charger nightmare!!!! AAAHHHHH!!!!!!

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Would you rather see him as a Bronco?? :no: :tdown:

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321

co-sign this...

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Shiat, that's just as bad. Man, that would REALLY piss me off! Merriman as a Donk. Man, I just lost my appetite now....:icon_twisted:

7. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    AJ is a smart business man. If he feels that both are worth the money, he will pay them. There are all sorts of creative ways to get under the cap.

Look for one to be signed to a long term deal and if the other doesn't sign a long term deal, look for the franchise tag to be used.

The sky isn't falling.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sorry 'bout that - just wanted you to realize that there are worse scenarios. :lol:

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    IN AJ I TRUST!

10. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    if thats the case, **** em lets move on! They are not this team, we have to much talent to worry about them. Plus I would rather resign Parker

11. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Why do people think AJ wont give players top deals?

Castillo just got one of the biggest contracts for a 3-4DE ever, LT is still the highest paid RB in the game. j-wall was one of the highest paid NT in the NFL when he signed his deal, Jammer is pretty well paid, so is phillips

AJ will give players the big contracts if they deserve it and those 2 guys will if they keep it up

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That's not what I question. What I question is the ability to keep all this talent without exceeding the cap.

13. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    preach on brother :tup:

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Why worry, will that change anything? If they leave for dough then the Bolt's didn't need them. I rather believe that Cro and SM also would like to be champions, they have a golden opportunity in San Diego. Then again, big bucks in the bank can change weak minds. We'll find out soon enough.

15. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    You guys do know that the salary cap has been increasing about $7 million or so per year, without signs it will stop.

That's one "high-priced" soon to be FA that can be extended each year.

16. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Also realize that we do not have a franchise player right now, and that's an ace up the master's (AJ's) sleeve.

We have one of the best cap-managing front offices in football. I'm not that worried. If Al Davis can afford to sign the local sign-twirler for millions, AJ can sign his superstars.

17. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Also isnt 2010, the year that most the guys become FA, the uncapped year?
    That in itself should help us get some players signed long term

18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I am more worried about the team leaving, which seems more and more likely to happen.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    ARGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

BUZZ KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Dooooooooodddd ......

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    AJ already has Castillo extended. With the CBA voided, there is more time to sign these guys, less cap restriction and more flexible franchise tagging. We are going to be drafting low for the foreseeable future, so we may not be as squeezed by the cap anyway. I also suspect that the next CBA is going to provide a salary structure weighted to keeping veterans signed with the money they rate by performance and cutting back on what goes to rookies and guys in their first few years.

22. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I would think that the new CBA would address the issue of skyrocketing rookie first round contracts, especially for the top 10 picks.

I mean come on. Darren McFadden got a $60 million rookie deal. That's as much as LT got in 2004 with his extension, and DM hasn't even shown he's worth that much!

23. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    lol DAMN! its like putting a dream team together, they all cost too friggin much! if they take us to the lombardi, hell, who cares :icon_shrug:

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    merriman will probably stay here, but yeah he will want to, and rightfully so deserve to be, paid HUGE bucks

Cro I can't imagine he'll stay unless he just loves it here enough to take alot less

25. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i hope he likes it here! i think we need to surround his house and feed him some carne. guaranteed he'd stay. actually, take him to the beach, theres nothing like san diego women in bikinis *drool* lol

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I don't give a **** who leaves once we get the hardware. Get the hardware... then see how eager they are to "test the waters"

27. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    If we have the money and cap space, I say sign them both. Sign EVERYBODY as long as we have space. But, I'd sign them to long extensions before they get to FA, just like they did with Luis.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I bet the veterans would cooperate with a rookie salary structure if it meant a bigger pool of money for them. Young players would need some sort of career insurance against injury, but a relatively generous entry level structure would ease the burden of keeping good teams together. Such a structure would guarantee the presence of rookies in camp and prevent agents from using unsophisticated players as pawns.

29. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's true man. Let's just get that Hardware! Then let everything else fall in place. Hopefully after some rings Cro and Merriman will take a Dielman type discount to stay here and win multiple championships!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm worried that the parking attendants won't allow "Yelling Cookies" to be served at tailgates anymore!! :no: