1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

IS CHARGERS - JACKSON SITUATION WORTH SALVAGING ? SD UNION ARTICLE

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Is Chargers-Jackson situation worth salvaging?
    By Tim Sullivan

Monday, December 13, 2010 at 6:32 p.m.

[​IMG]

Vincent Jackson leaves the field after Chargers' 31-0 victory over Kansas City, his first extended action of the season.

With Vincent Jackson, the issue is not aptitude, but attitude. He is a gloriously gifted wide receiver, muscular and mobile, sure and strong.

He steps onto the football field and cornerbacks cringe. The issue is how to weigh what he does away from the field; more specifically, behind the wheel of an automobile.

The prodigal Pro Bowler returned to regular duty Sunday after a lengthy holdout, a league-mandated suspension, procedural payback from Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith and an injury. He had three third-down touches during the Bolts’ 31-0 blowout of Kansas City — two receptions and a reverse — and each of them resulted in a first down during a touchdown drive. He also made a fourth-quarter 37-yard catch that was wiped out by a penalty.

He reminded you of how much he has been missed and how hard he might be to replace. He made you wonder if his is a situation worth salvaging.

“I thought Vincent Jackson had a real impact on the game,” Chargers head coach Norv Turner said Monday. “We saw some great looks to run the ball when both our outside receivers were being doubled. It gives you some opportunities to run the ball that we haven’t seen.”

Turner’s statement was unprompted, but probably not unscripted. While Smith bears the responsibility for holding that (bottom) line on budgetary matters and affecting umbrage when Bolts appear on the police blotter, Turner is more tightly focused on the task immediately at hand. The coach’s job is to win games and influence players by almost any means available, including the extending of olive branches toward those egos bruised by his boss.

Largely unburdened by the financial implications of individual players’ contracts, Turner gets to play the nurturing mentor to Smith’s stern autocrat; the Robin Williams role in “Dead Poets Society.” It could be that Turner went out of his way to praise Jackson on Monday simply to cajole an important player who is closing fast on free agency. Yet there might also be another item on Turner’s agenda. Few coaches could see Jackson’s impact on Sunday’s game without trying to impress their superiors on the urgency of keeping such a player around.

Even in the absence of tight end Antonio Gates, aligning Jackson and Malcom Floyd on opposite flanks had the effect of forcing the Chiefs to deploy extra defenders in pass coverage and shifting their safeties so far from the line of scrimmage that they were rendered useless against the run. That the Chargers were able to generate a season-high 207 yards on the ground and that Floyd came open for a pair of touchdown receptions was at least partially attributable to Jackson’s presence.

“It’s hard to measure it, really,” Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers said Monday. “(But) I think there’s no doubt that with a healthy Malcom and Vincent out there, they’re worried about balls getting pushed upfield, and Vincent’s also such a great blocker in the running game. Definitely early, I felt like they were as deep as could be, the secondary and the safeties. …

“Watching it on tape, it happened more than I even realized, how many times they were dropping eight (defenders) and rushing three. … I don’t know if that’s in direct reaction to having Vincent out there, but certainly it’s a positive for us and a bonus any time you get a player of his caliber back.”

Not yet 28 years old, Jackson surpassed 1,000 receiving yards in both 2008 and 2009 and last season attained career highs with 68 catches, 1,167 yards and nine touchdowns. That the Chargers have nonetheless declined to discuss a long-term deal with Jackson is a reflection of a pair of DUI arrests, a subsequent stop for driving with a suspended license en route to January’s divisional playoff loss to the New York Jets and the poiseless penalty the player incurred for kicking a challenge flag that same day.

That pattern of bad behavior made it easier for the Chargers to resist risking a long-term commitment to Jackson, as did the escalating price of elite receivers. If the Chargers are to consider cutting a deal with Jackson comparable to the August extension signed by Houston’s Andre Johnson ($73.5 million over seven years), they ought to be able to expect a span of spotless character as collateral.

Though A.J. Smith did not immediately respond to an interview request Monday, there’s a deal to be made if the parties can put aside their past differences and see the mutual benefits of a shared future. Just as Jackson would be hard-pressed to find a quarterback who can get him the ball as reliably as Rivers, the Chargers have not found a lot of players who stretch the field simply by stepping onto it.

“He makes a big difference,” Chargers cornerback Antoine Cason said Monday. “For me as a corner, I enjoy going out to practice and seeing him just because I know I have to do everything right to cover him because he’s that good. … He catches the ball well, he runs good routes, he’s strong, physical. He just has everything you would want in a receiver.”

If Vincent Jackson can bring his attitude in line with his aptitude, he could be quite a catch.

Find this article at:
    Is Chargers-Jackson situation worth salvaging? - SignOnSanDiego.com

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I sure hope so. I have to admit this offense is more lethal with VJ in it. I hope something can be worked out.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I think a better question is "IS CHARGERS - JACKSON SITUATION SALVAGEABLE?"

It shouldn't be is it worth salvaging, is it capable of being salvaged is a much better question in my opinion

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    When VJ had "the catch" I was yelling "yes the dude is back" and then it gets called back on penalty (crap).

When teams doubled up on M80 and VJ it provided looks the Chargers had not seen all year for the run game according to Rivers. That is respect.

Concudan needs to get on his knees and write an article begging VJ's forgiveness.

5. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    C'mon AJ, show him the money!

6. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I was at the game and was really watching VJ alot while he was on the field. He was really opening up the middle of the field on deep routes. You could see that the Chiefs defense was really concerned about being beat over the top by VJ. I was really down on the guy because of his off the field stuff, along with his playoff game last year. That said, I would love to something worked out with the guy, because he really makes our O alot better.

7. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    A healthy VJ, M80, and Gates is a lethal combo... especially with the run game improving. Defense isn't too shabby either... right Chiefs?

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    I don't think its salvageable and I don't know if Jackson has proven he's mature enough to not get into a car when either drunk or when he has a suspended license

9. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I sure hope both sides can meet somewhere in the middle. Jackson's presense cannot be ignored by opposing defenses. The dude is a game changer.

10. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Keep his head clear...

And in the game...oh yeah the guy can play. He still tends to taunt a strut on the field like he owns it. Maybe that's good. I'm not sure it's not too big headed but at least he's being productive. Good luck on the off field stuff.

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Is it worth salvaging? Rivers completed passes to 19 different receivers and has the Chargers out front of the league in passing yards with his butt sitting there on the sidelines. Jackson was never the key to this offense - he's still vulnerable to stupid penalties (because I don't think he wishes to remedy that) - and it's surely a lot to play for a gimmick. AJ will do the right thing and ship him on out of here with reasonable compensation.

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    This

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,582
    I've heard VJ talk about this on TV and in articles, and it sounds like he understands 100% that is a business decision from both ends of the table.

I think the bigger problem is that childish douche agent that took personal shots at AJ Smith, he may have already burnt the bridge himself.

14. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I hope he gets signed longterm. How could the Chargers not want someone with that talent on their team who knows their playbook and quarterback better than any other receiver? He still has amazing talent and if he contributes well in the playoffs this year then he deserves a longterm signing

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,170
    If he stays, I hope he stays out of the bottle or out from behind the wheel when in the bottle. If he goes, he goes.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    This[/QUOTE]

!

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    I thought the title was fine. I ask as it does is it worth it to even think longterm with VJ? I have already prepared to cheer for him where ever he lands the 3 most hated permitted, and wish him all the sucsess.

I am not bitter at VJ, ony heard enuff negative on him that I am willing to let him walk like a *roiding LB* Tho I will pay attention and semi support VJ doin better by himself in his personal decisions. He has did nothing to try to stop/reverse this problem he has now. No sympathy in that regard.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I have no idea what the real problem with jackson is. But I do know with him playing alongside floyd or other wr's we have we are a keeler offense.

I almost pray the chargers figure out a way to keep him. Along with our other wr's. His addition makes us almost unstoppable on offense.

19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    This.....

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Chargers' Jackson: 'Don't do what I did'

By Steve Schmidt

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 9:29 p.m.

Vincent Jackson during his Wednesday night talk at West Hills High School in Santee.

SANTEE — Sounding chastened by his run-ins with the law, Chargers wide receiver and Pro Bowler Vincent Jackson offered this advice Wednesday night to a classroom full of beginning drivers in Santee: Don’t do what I did.

“In the last few years, I’ve made some mistakes off the field,” Jackson said. “I guess I got a little lackadaisical.”

With two DUI arrests on his record, Jackson presented himself to a driver-safety class at West Hills High School as a walking, talking, cautionary tale about the importance of not drinking and driving.

He told the group of teenagers and parents that earlier in his NFL career, he had fooled himself into thinking he could knock back a couple of drinks and then get behind the wheel. No more.

“You can’t do that,” he said. “It’s black and white. Zero tolerance.”

Jackson, 27, returned to regular duty last weekend, following an off-field drama that included a protracted contract dispute and a league-mandated suspension tied to his DUI arrests.

In May, he pleaded guilty to knowingly driving with a revoked license — a suspension stemming from a drunken-driving arrest in early 2009. At the time of the arrest, he was already on probation from a 2006 DUI conviction.

Jackson said his scrapes with the law have been a source of embarrassment and that they forced him to confront his weaknesses. “Yes, I’ve made poor choices. You can’t take that back,” he said. “I’ve learned from my mistakes, I’ve moved forward.”

He said he has toned down his after-hours activities, for starters. “I don’t hardly go out. ... I enjoy being at home.”

“PlayStation,” someone from the audience chimed in.

“Exactly,” said Jackson, smiling.

The 6-foot-5-inch, 230-pound athlete said he grew up in a middle-class home in Colorado, describing himself as a “pretty straight-arrow kid.” He got a 3.0 grade-point average in college.

It was only later, after he became a high-flying football player, that he said his perspective began to warp.

Jackson advised the fledgling drivers to not only watch their behavior, but also to speak up if they see friends doing something on the road they might regret later. “You may seem like the bad guy,” he said. “You’re not being a bad guy. You’re doing them a favor.”

Jackson, who remains on probation for his convictions, said he may speak at similar classes. It was unclear whether his Wednesday appearance was a probation requirement.

The course at West Hills High, called Start Smart, is part of a driver safety program regularly offered by the county Sheriff’s Department.

21. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Why wouldn't it be salvageable....I think Jackson has made it pretty clear that he would be happy to stay here.

If we don't sign him he would be fools not to franchise tag him. If we do, and he put's up a nice year and keeps his nose clean then would it still not be salvageable?

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    Metallica shared the stage with former guitarist and long time enemy Dave Mustaine this past summer after almost 27 years of fueding. If that sh*t can happen, anything is possible.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    especially with an eight figure contract, AJ and VJ could share drinks and do karaoke together.

24. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    They would get along fine with one of these too.... :)

[​IMG]