1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Flowers being miscast?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 12, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I know we're only 1 week in, but against the Cardinals on MNF he struggled once again when being bumped inside, he was targeted 7 times giving up 6 catches for 66 yards. (Still not as bad as Shareece) He started strong on the outside, but when Verrett came in the game he was noticeably less comfortable with his surroundings.

Brandon Flowers was a pro bowl caliber player for 4 years when he was playing on the perimeter for the Chiefs. Then in January 2013 the Chiefs hired a new DC, Bob Sutton, who (like many ignorant coaches) assumed because Flowers is 5'9 and has good feet that he'd be a good fit in the slot, while they went with 6'1+ CBs on the perimeter instead.

Ever since that hire Flowers has not been remotely close to the same player. Pro Football Focus ranked him a top 10 CB in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012, good enough that the Chiefs gave him a $50M deal. Then last year he plummeted all the way into Shareece Wright territory in the 80's. Why? It seems pretty obvious to me, because he is one of those guys who is just more comfortable with the sideline at his back, and he played over 60% of his snaps from the middle of the field.

With the sideline cutting the field off he doesn't need to worry about having 360 degrees of spatial awareness, and that is where I think he gets lost in the slot, when guys come from both sides and he has to have his head on a swivel. As opposed to being on flank where the receiver only has so much space to get around him and the sideline acts as an extra defender, where he can either ride the WR off the field or keep him positioned in front of him where his plus acceleration is used to jump the route.

I guess what I'm saying is it's time to bench Shareece Wright (the training camp hero), put Verrett and Flowers at LCB and RCB respectively, and start Steve Williams or Dick Marshall in the nickel role. Because I don't think this situation is going to get any better if we just try to stick out the status quo.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Oh no, not the Marshall plan. :eek:

It may be a moot point anyway...... Flowers might not even be available Sunday.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Marcus Gilchrist is the best nickel CB on this team. He's a waste at SS/FS. I better see Darrell Stuckey there before Richard Marshall Sunday or I'll go crazy.

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    That's probably a better idea once Addae comes back. Stuckey SUCKS though.

5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    He's far more range-y and athletic than Richard Marshall who was playing at SS/FS.

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yeah but he's a terrible tackler who takes bad angles. I don't think Marshall is the answer either, I'm just saying we probably need to wait until Addae gets back before moving Gilchrist again.

Right now I'm just tired of seeing Wright get smoked, it's more of the same from last year. At some point his game performance is going to have to override how well he does in practice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It's not the worst week to go missing, considering the mash unit we're likely to have AFTER the Seahawks game.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    All I know is Verrett is hunting for that starting spot. I would be surprised to see him get nod near the end of our schedule if continues to improve.

9. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +74
    Boy you hit it right on the head. It's time to bench Shareece for Verret and let him hold his own. We can play whoever at nickle but I know as soon as Addae coms back Gilchrist is done. Play the scrubs as nickles but we at least gotta stop the big plays

10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,726
    Smoked like this?

Big-Bubbas-Bad-BBQ-Smoker.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    People also need to be patient with Verrett. He is very smart, but he is not superman. He's human he will have his bad games. Just don't write him off when he does. Takes time in this league to learn.

But clearly, Shareece hasn't learned much yet. He must of been taking pages out of Jammer's book of how to excel at CB in the NFL.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    These guys have played exactly one game together and didn't do to bad other than give up 403 yards and one more point than the offense scored. Eighteen points given up by the defense is pretty good to me, the Bolt offense left way too many points out on the field. If Rivers catches the snap we ain't talking loss if Novak makes the figgy.

13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    It's how easily Arizona moved down the field that concerned/concerns me. If Carson Palmer has running lanes, what do you think Russell Wilson will have tomorrow?

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I didn't say they were great, I said they only gave up 18 points even though they gave up 403 yards in the game. Excuse me, but I really don't know what I said was wrong. The offense left plenty of points out on the grass, am I wrong or did I watch a different game???? :confused:

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    True, would you rather give up the points or the yards? I'll take the yards. Even though the Cardinals moved well, something seemed diffrent about the Defense. They looked more physical out there than the last few years.

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    I didn't say you said they were great. I was just stating my concern. But we did leave points out there without a doubt.

If Gilchrist catches that INT, the game is over. Weddle's attempt was a different story. He made an outstanding play on the ball, and it was always going to be a tough INT to catch. However, Gilchrist's attempt hit him straight in the hands. You simply have to make those plays.

17. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Let's be real about Verrett. He is further along than I had imagined he would be at this point. Sure he is going to make rookie mistakes but his technique is something to watch. The kid looks as if he is going to be a stud. To be honest I would prefer to take my chances giving up rookie mistakes here and there, than to watch Shareece Wright continue to struggle.

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I too love Verrett. I also think Flowers is the first or second best corner on this team. I'd like to see Verrett get some time in the slot too where he can head-hunt. Play Flowers on the sideline ala Wright. Steve Williams was disappointing in limited action thus far. I reckon Ducre on the PS might be the better player. Screw Marshall, I want Addae and Weddle with Gilly backing them up and Stuckey as last resort.

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Flower is a professional and a very good one at that. Last year it was the knee and playing inside that "doomed" him so lets roll out any new excuse we can to invent why the Bolts coaching staff sucks and miscast him. If he can't play inside, he should only be paid for doing half his job.

20. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    I know it is a small sample size but after 2 games Verrett has the 5th highest grade of all CB's according to PFF after 2 games and even Shareece for all the hate he gets on this forum has a positive grade.. I think we are going to be very good in the secondary I dont see CB as a concern, as long as our front 7 can hold their own I think we have a top 10 defense on our hands

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    There are times when I think sure, we cold be a top 10 defense.:tup:
    Then I watch them play and it's like, naw.:tdown:

JMO, but I think guys like Lissemore, Gilchrist, Wright, Te'o, and Johnson are just C average players right now, not terrible, but barely passing like my math tests in high school. And Reyes is a solid F consistently and for some reason we never hear about it. I think we're a draft or two away from having the actual talent to be a top 10 defense.

22. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    That is true but I also think we have to take into consideration we have played 2 very good teams to start the season.. this next stretch of games against the bills, jets, jags, raiders, and chiefs I expect some of those guys you mentioned to step up and hopefully get on track. Even though we have looked solid on defense in the first 2 games I really think our defense will be able to take it to another level in the upcoming weeks as we will be facing some mediocre at best offenses