1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Gates the Best TE Ever?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Oct 3, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    With Gates recently passing Shannon Sharpe for 2nd most TDs for a Te and the level at which he is playing this year, its a good time to being the talk, is Gates the best TE in NFL history? He still has many years left and Gonzalez is ahead of him statistically but Gates has played at such a high level for so long and meant so much for this team and two great qbs. He will obviously go to Canton but is it too early to say he is the best TE ever? He already has 5tds this year and is on pace to break his TD record!

2. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    He just might be. He has such an impact on our offense and he is so skilled that I would think he is the best. He'll definitely pass Gonzalez in a few years and then there will be no doubt

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
  4. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Negative ghostrider. Gates is a good big receiver (and a GOOD one at that). He is no Tight End.

Tony Gonzalez revolutionized the Tight End position as much as Don Coryell and Kellen Winslow did before him. He is not only the best pass catching TE ever but was also one of the top blockers in the league, something the Wittens and Gates and Clarks cannot say.

Still there is hope for some of the younger athletes at the position. Tony G started out as an average blocker and worked hard to become one of the best while ammassing 4 1,000+ yard seasons, over a thousand career receptions, and over 80 TDs.

5. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Dave Casper....Raider HOFER TE was a great TE. That Raider team during the 70's was fun to watch. Casper had O-line experience...one tough cat. Anyone remember that great 1978 Raider-Charger game?

6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Lol troll

7. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    The Unholy Roller...oy...why did you have to go and bring that up?!

8. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Sorry mate...he's classified as a tight end, it is what it is.

9. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    He is better than Kellen....so yes he is.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I don't think so but he's a hall of famer for sure

11. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Time will tell, but he will certainly be right up there in the top 2 or 3 ever IMO

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Queefs troll, Gates is not a receiver. He's a tight end. If he was such a blocking liability, then how did LT lead the league in rushing twice with Gates blocking for him. No doubt TG was a better blocker than Gates. But Gates is a vastly superior receiver. And that's saying something, since TG is one of the best receiving TEs ever.

The fact that Gates plays TE like a receiver does not mean he's not a tight end.

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Id say its is only a year or 2 too soon to start steamrolling the whole Best TE ever debate. As far as active TEs in the NFL, then yea AG is the greatest TE.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Give the troll a break. He's banking his hopes on the Chargers giving up 2 ST TDs every week, so today was a hearbreaker.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Gates has already left his mark on the game and in the record books, so I'd reckon he's on the right track.

16. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    TOny Gonzolez doesn't exactly get open as much as gates.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    this, but why you gotta hate.

Gates/PR are going to go down as one of the greatest TE/QB combo's ever. Fouts/KW, Casper/Stabler? Maybe, but he'll be remembered for the roller more than anything in Bolt land

18. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I agree with you 100%! You also have to take into consideration that Gates has played with playoff caliber people since he has been in SD and Tony G has played with the last place Chiefs most of that time and still is the BEST TE around.

19. sdcfan18

sdcfan18 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I would say that Gates will be one of the best ever, if not number one. He is certainly on the right track. He will without a doubt be one of the best undrafted players of all time are any position IMO.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    They were hardly last every year that TG was with the Chiefs. As for Gates, the fact that the offense has been so good is do in large part to him. I don't think you can hold that against him. It's like saying Rivers isn't all that great because he has Gates. Both make the other better. I don't think you can diminish the performance of one because of the talent of the other.

If Gates stays healthy for the next few years, he is going to crush TG's numbers in every statistical category.

21. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    That means jack ****. As a tight end who is constantly doubled, and constantly making plays while doubled, the talent around him means nothing. As a pass catching tight end he is among the best who have ever played the game, no question.

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    John Mackey did the revolutionizing. Google the name.

Then it was Kellen Winslow under Coryell.

Know your history instead of revising it.

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed. Tony G is a better blocker than Gates.

24. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    No disrespect intended. Casper was a great TE, and I think Gates is as good as anyone presently in the game.

Kellen Winslow showed his nettles against Miami in the dehydration bowl. One of the greatest single efforts in modern football.

25. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    no I wasn't calling you out on the respect. should have put a winky smilie next to it.

those raider days contributed to the raider hate everyone has.

26. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I wonder when teams are going to decide to cover Gates? :lol:

27. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    One of the worst things about the internet is everyones an uneducated history teacher. You (65tosspower) remember things the way you want, we (sane people) will remember them how they happened.

Oh, and Mackey is the pioneer of the modern superstar tight end.

28. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    This is an odd comment. KC was hardly a last place team in the Vermeil years. It is true we had no defense whatsoever, but we had one of the most prolific offenses ever assembled and Tony Gonzalez was a HUGE part of that. He also learned to block alongside perhaps the greatest offensive line ever to take the field in Tim Grunhard/Casey Weigman, Brian Waters, Will Shields, and Willie Roaf.

29. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    Gotta do it like the Chiefs did....triple coverage. He's a weapon to be sure.

What I don't understand is why so many teams let him get a clean release off the line. NO tight end should get off the line without getting mauled in all but the softest zone coverages IMO.

I understand that he is big and strong and people worry about him manhandling the defender, but you have to bump him hard and roll defenses over the top of him and deal with the fact that it will leave you vulnerable elsewhere.

The same has always been true for Tony G.

30. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    He will be blanketed in the playoffs no doubt. Why the cardinals thought 1 on 1 would work is beyond me but hey, they must not have known being in the NFC. *rollseyes*. In the playoffs you can count on Gates being blanketed. We will be forced to see what Floyd, Legs and our Running game can do. It's happened before. :)