1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ian Scott a legit NT?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Apr 19, 2010.

?

Is Ian Scott a legit nosetackle?

1. Yes

21.9%
  2. No.

78.1%
  1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    This one is for Chargerfn909.

He seems to think because Ian Scott played a little NT last year (along with many others) that they are the answer to our NT position, and that we should pass on a NT in the first 2 rounds in favor of addressing the DE position instead....

Personally I think that guys like OG, Scott, and Martin are ideal DE's, and that using a high pick on DE would be a waste of draft pick.

What do you think? Is the NT rotation led by Ian Scott the answer?

2. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showpost.php?p=612377&postcount=62

This guy is trolling. I NEVER once said he was there to REPLACE Jamal. Delete this thread before you embarrass yourself kid.

:icon_rofl:
    lol you are flat out LYING about all this. I have never ONCE said to PASS on a NT.

3. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I voted yes, just because you're an idiot. :lol:
    909 isn't any smarter. :lol:

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
  5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    BTW the question is...."Is Ian Scott a legit NT"....not a Jamal replacement.

Your spinning your wheels if you think that guy is an answer at NT.

6. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
  7. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Never said he was the answer... Get a damn clue man. I have said over and over and over. Troup in the 3rd, rotate with OG.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    We also have oggie and garay and martin. Youngsters that are improving. Martin of course will be very interesting in watching if he improves and how much. He could wind up just average but if he learns a couple things he could be really good. And oggie is good. And he should improve.

Were not hurting at d-tackle now as much as folks think..

I keep thinking what the chargers said a month or more ago. WE need a play maker at saftey. A ball hound. Someone to pair with weddle and ellinson and oliver who are really strong safteys. And there are a couple like that in this draft.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

You came at me with 'OG and Scott WILL play NT'...with absolutely nothing to back it up.

All I'm doing is calling bullshit. I don't think anyone other than you thinks OG and Scott are legitimate NT prospects, but rather ideal DE's. And I'm wondering why anyone would suggest wasting a first round pick on DE when we have so many of them....and no NTs.

10. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    You missed the point. I said he will play NT or ride the pine. Point being he will NOT play DE. Do you only read the first sentence of a post then respond? That is a serious question..

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Martin is the one wildcard that I believe can play NT if he improves A LOT! He has the size (320+lbs), strength (44reps), and quickness unlike the other guys.

But Ian Scott, OGE, Castillo, Johnson, Cesaire, Garay, Bingham....they're all clearly DE's. I even see OGE as possibly being a DOMINANT DE once we get a real NT next to him. And I would be shocked if the coaching staff were concerned enough about the position to spend a high pick on Price or Alualu.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And neither is OG or Garay

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I read that part and it made no sense to me. Basically your saying its all or nothing with Ian Scott.....he's either a good NT for us, or he's worthless and should be cut?

I think he could easily play a backup DE role. He's not a worthless player, he's a good veteran presence, he's just not NT material.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Garay and OG are both listed at 303 lbs on ESPN, I don't see any way they could possibly be looked at as NT's except in an emergency situation.

Ny the way, Garay isn't a kid. He is 30 years old and was a career backup in KC. Why would anyone think he is all of a sudden anything different?

15. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    He will be a backup or cut. That's what that meant. Do you not realize how many back up DE's we already have? Norv isn't going to have half of his god damn roster DE's.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We already have other veteran DE's in Ceraire, TJ, and Castillo. Scott and Garay shouldn't even be close to being looked at as anything but player who will/should be on the chopping block in training camp

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Totally agree. We have 4 DE's who I think are locks for a roster spot, Castillo, OG, Martin, and TJ. The rest are fighting for probably one final spot after we draft a NT. That would be 6 DL, and I have a hard time believing they will carry more than 6. If they do it will be because we drafted 2 DL

• Like Like x 1
  18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I can agree with that.:yes: I just think with OG, Castillo, TJ, Cesaire, and Martin our DE situation is solid.

Maybe I could see spending a 3rd or 4th rounder on a talented DE prospect who slides unexpectedly....but no higher than that with bigger issues at RB, NT, OT, CB, S, ILB etc...

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don;t think it is solid. I think it is servicable, but an upgrade could be used if one fell in our laps.

If at 28 Matthews is off the board, I just can't think of any other RB that would be worth the 28th pick. And since the chances of Williams falling to us is out of the question, that means no 1st round NT's are available (Sorry, Cody isn't worth anything higher than a late 2nd with his weight issues). \In that situation, I would look to trade out of the 1st, but if no deal was available, I wouldn't be against upgrading at DE or ILB then getting our NT at 40 and RB in the 3rd

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    So again I ask....why would we draft Brian Price or Tyson Alualu with the early picks it would take to get them? They are clearly 3-4 DE's...

And as DenverBoltfan said we have 4 DE's now who are locks for roster spots....we only start 2....we have much bigger issues at other positions?

Am I the only one who thinks DE is a minor issue at best?

21. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    You have to be kidding me, right?

Tell me you are joking..Or drinking..or SOMETHING!?

Not one of those 4 outside of Glastillo would be a lock if we drafted a Price or Alualu. Boone, Garay, Cesaire could be cut EASILY if Price/Alualu/Odrick etc etc played to their potential.

Seriously man, your argument is ridiculous. I could only imagine how distraught you were when we drafted Larry English last year when we already had: Merriman, Phillips, Tucker, and Applewhite.

A dominant DE would enable those OLB's to do what they get paid to do, fly to the ball and get sacks!

AJ more than likely will not draft Cody (I want Cody for the record), Cam Thomas is a slug. Why not upgrade our DE / RB with picks 1 and 2 then draft Troup (NT) in the third???

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Thats the problem....Dan Williams will be gone, Cody is a giant red flag, Cam Thomas has issues with motivation, Troup is a bit of a project and is kind of a reach at 40, Linval Joseph says he's a 3-4 DE.....

This isn't a good NT class. I think in the long run Troup will be the most successfull due to his raw strength and excellent intangibles.

23. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Dude you have gotta be drinking. You started this thread to give me **** about not wanting to draft a NT in the first or second (which is a lie to begin with). Now you are agreeing with me about Troup.

Do you just have to DISAGREE with everyone? You started all this drama and deep down you agree with me :icon_rofl::abq2:

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm going to keep this step by step simple for you kiddo....

1) We only start 2 DE's..
    2) We already have at least 7 or 8 servicable DE's on the roster.
    3) 1 is a lock (Castillo), 2 have major upside (OG/Martin), 3 more are servicable veterans (Johnson/Scott/Cesaire).

With that said...

4) We have 0 proven NT's.
    5) We have 1 RB on the roster with more than 30 carrer touches.
    6) We have issues at OT with Clary and Dombrowski.
    7) We have issues at ILB with Cooper sucking.

Why waste a 1st pick on Brian Price when we can easily put off DE until next year?

25. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Exactly what I did in my mock! lol.
    1. Ryan Mathews RB
    2. Tyson Alualu 3-4 DE
    3. Torrel Troup NT (If it doesn't seem like a lock, trade up with next years thirds)
    4. Eric Decker WR or Danario Alexander WR
    5. Michael Hoomanawanui TE
    5. John Skelton QB
    7. Hunter Lawrence K

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Its not 4-20 yet buddy...But you have to be SMOKING something if you think a legit NT prospect with no character issues is going to fall to the end of the 3rd round when half the teams in the league now run the 3-4 defense.

But then again you don't really understand the 3-4 defense or the importance of having a good NT.....so I'm not surprised.

27. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34

Amen to that Brotha! I would be ecstatic if thats how our first 3 rounds turned out.

• Like Like x 1
  28. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    trading up with next years picks or with Sproles could be a viable option.

• Like Like x 1
  29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Absolutely, but only if we have a legitimate starting RB in place before the trade is made...

30. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    And that is why we get Mathews at 28! All the people who think that he will be gone at 28 are idiots, you can quote me on that. (and i'll accept being an idiot if he isn't there at 28....)