1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is is a underachieving team?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JohnnyX, Sep 27, 2015.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Oct 7, 2010
    Or is this a bad team on a lame duck season? It'll make it alot easier to watch once I know.
  2. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2007
    We certainly have talent in key positions but I feel that the coaching is greatly lacking and the general game plan on both sides of the ball is tough to watch as well as the effort of some players. It might be too early to tell if this is a bad team but I'm leaning that way especially with injuries mounting and Rivers getting mauled so badly today.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Feb 28, 2014
    Until the front office realizes that football always has and always will be won up front on the lines, we aren't going anywhere. And phuck me, we should have hired Arians, McCoy is a clown and I lmao every time I hear Reich being mentioned as a head coach. Somebody take him, please
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Aug 17, 2007
    I think I come into each season with high expectations because we have Philip Rivers, but not much else. :tdown:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

May 7, 2011
    Was the use of the word "underachieving" necessary in constructing this thread? :p
  6. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Sep 14, 2012
    After watching this 49'r/Cardinal game......I guess I don't feel so bad now.......poor 9'r fan.....hahahaha!!!!!:laugh:
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006
    No the team is not underachieving.

For the definition of underachieving is "fails to achieve his or her potential or does not do as well as expected".

We have for years known the Chargers start slow. They have a team meeting, rah-rah-sis-cumbah get together then rally to either make or just miss the playoffs. Therefore the Chargers are performing to expectation.

That said, I for one was greatly disappointed in the last two outings, not because of the 'L' alone, no that was bad enough, but the fact that the team has not looked as if they are ready to play their opponent time and time again. Is it Coaching? I would tend to think not. If it were, should not have something changed over the last 4 head coaches?

I watched and it was clear to me that the players were not on the same page. There were reports of this all week long with Flowers saying that the secondary is not communicating. Players are pointing at one another, not trusting each other to make their plays. This too is standard.

We need something to change the standards of acceptance at Chargers park. No more quips to the media about 'we value the football', or 'We have work to do'... Eff that!

We can see that!

Instead nut up and get ready to play your opponents. Two very winnable games ended up in the loss column. Fine. No one expected them to win them all.

But I would like some sort of feeling that they know what the trouble is and how to fix it. Sure it is easy to say on the OL. Injuries are AGAIN decimating the unit. But why is the D not working together and communicating.

So no, they are not underachieving, they are just losing. If we expected them to win all their games, then we could argue they are under achieving... They do this almost every year.

Lets hope they can right the ship, or it is going to be a long season. One in which I will still wear my bolts while cussing them like a newly in port sailor!

"We're gonna fight for each other... We're not gonna give up on each other."

WATCH: http://chrg.rs/IGrbjd
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Dec 14, 2006
    this was the $h!tiest we've played in a long while... even worse than last week's pile of excrement. I took off the Alworth jersey after the Vikes first score of the 2nd half. This team is not worthy to be called "CHARGERS".
  9. tito

tito BoltTalker

Apr 24, 2014
    Could be all sorts of things wrong, but we simply never play well on early east coast games.
  10. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    A lot of talent is on this team, but the deficiencies are in the most critical areas of them all: the trenches. I forgive the O-line because it always takes time to gel when the only constant is King Dunlap at LT. The lack of a D-line is unforgivable. While the O-line has undergone turnover, the D-line should have been blown up the moment we realized that only 1 of the 3 players are starting-caliber.

A poor D-line hinders the ability to rush the passer and plug holes in the running game. The inability to rush the passer and safeties in the box leads to more opportunities through the air. And I do not care if the corners are excellent, they cannot win under this scenario.

I expect the O-line to come together, hopefully sooner rather than later. But I cannot guarantee that the offense will improve without the same offensive gameplan I saw during McCoy's 1st year, which is becoming clear that Whisenhunt deserves more credit at this point.

Short passes, get rid of the ball quickly, use the passing game to aid the running game, integrate the running game into the passing game, march down the field. It is not rocket science.
  11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Aug 19, 2008
    This game had all of the earmarks of last year's game in Mia...
  12. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Aug 4, 2006
    We 100% need to feed Melvin Gordon the ball more. We saw in the Bengals game that he is starting to get it. But this awful play calling, and horrendous offensive line has Rivers getting beat down. Teams simply rush 4 and get to Rivers, it's pitiful. King Dunlap looked like the second coming of Jared Gaither today.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Sep 8, 2014
    This is for the coaching staff