1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is It Time For Tom Brady To Go?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Blincoe, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    NBC news has reported that Tom Brady is just not rehabbing the way the doctors would like to see his knee heal. Scar tissue from the second procedure to clean up an infection from the first surgery has caused some problems, and apparently the repaired ligaments aren't responding well to rehab...that may all lead to a third prodecure that will keep Brady out of action for another year.

Matt Cassel becomes an unlimited free agent after the season ends, and what with the Jets needing a quarterback if Favre leaves (and there is a very strong probability that will happen), and the Vikings, Bears, and Lions among other looking for fine QBs, Cassel has become a valuable commodity after posting an impressive 11-5 season without Brady.

Would it be a smart Patriot move to trade Brady and pay the big bucks for a proven QB who is five years younger than Brady and knows the Patriot system as well as the playbook? He has the confidence of the players around him, and he is healthy.

Brady has three rings, an MVP, and will be marrying a lovely woman sometime soon. How will the rehab go? Will he be able to play next Fall? Should they franchise Cassel at $12-14 million as insurance? That will mean 20% of the salary cap will be for the QB position.

Whaddya think...trade Tom Brady and give Matt Cassel the big contract other teams are certain to offer him? Franchise him for a year and see what happens? Let him go and take the chance Brady will be back in the Fall healthy and ready to play?

2. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, he should retire and keep doing Stetson ads

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Regardless of what the Patriots decide I bet if they do decide to let Cassell walk (Which I doubt they do if reports on Brady's recovery are true) but if they do I bet he winds up being a bust with whomever signs him.

I think he's succeeding as a Patriot because he knows the system very well and it's a damn good system.

I think if he goes to another system he might revert back to the inexperience hasn't-started-since-high-school QB everyone though he'd be in New England after having the starting job thrust upon him.

Of course, I was one of those people who though thtat, so I could be wrong here as well.

4. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    It's a dangerous question.

I wouldn't franchise Cassel until the last possible second. I'd get about 40 different opinions from orthopedists on Brady's long term prognosis.

I think Cassel does benefit from the system, the coaching and a tandem like Moss/Welker. He isn't the same QB on 75% of the other teams in the league, no way.

Times like these are when I'm happy I'm just a fan and not a coach.

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I saw that report on Bradys recovery going much slower than expected. At first (sick of me to think I know) I was kind of glad, but realistically not having one of the best players in football not on the field is ****** for all involved. I don't like him, I don't like his team, but I do wish him a full recovery, and hope to see him on the field despite the reports.

I wouldn't want them to spend the money franchising Cassel, and am sure he is expecting a long term deal soon, but you guys don't need a qb to win games for you. Albeit he did just that this season, but I think you can win enough games (ordinarily you would think 11 is enough) to reach the post season with a game and clock manager. They have enough money invested in super stars, I'd look elsewhere if needed.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Matt Cassel has become a pretty decent QB.

The Pats also have a pretty good developmental QB in O'Connell. Gutierrez seems pretty capable as well.

As much as I despise Belly-chick, I do have to give him much credit for getting 11 wins with a backup with 0 NFL starts before this season.

But then, this is just the second time in 8 years he's done that feat. ;)

7. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
  8. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    It would be a shame for such a talent to have his career cut short. It is possible that with all the success he has had he has just lost some of the fire in his belly.

On the other had, a Bradyless Patriots team is good news for everone else.

9. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    F**k Brady. He's not taking the rehab seriousely. He's not fully commited like Rivers was. Look at What Rivers has done this year. If San Diego wasn't 8-8 he would clearly be the front runner for MVP (34 TD'S, 11 INT'S, 4,009 YARDS, 105.5 Passer rating).

Rivers was commited, Brady is NOT. He sits out the 2009 season, he is done, put a fork in him, he will never be the same sitting out 2 years.:no:

10. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Pure conjecture, which is fine.

I'm guessing Rivers didn't need a second surgery to combat the damages done by infection.

You're welcome to your opinion, but it's wrong. Brady, by all accounts, is one of the more competitive people in all of sports. He's had a chip on his shoulder since college and the 6th round draft position only stoked the flame.

11. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    And you know all this stuff about Brady, how?

With all due respect, Rivers has had a good year but the thread is not about Rivers.

That said...there is a whole lot of truth to Cassel's success being attributed to the familiarity of the system. Only the Patriots coaches and organization really know the depth of his talent as well as being familar with his weaknesses and being able to make the adjusments needed to capitalize on one and minimizing the other.

I hope Brady comes back...he really is the heart of the franchise.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    If Cassel's success is a product of the system, can Brady's success also be a product of the same system? :icon_shrug:

I'd like to see Brady on a crappy team and see what he can do (being out of the patriots would be an added bonus :yes: )

13. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Yes...Brady could be a product of a system.

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Tough call. IMO the Pats could grab a guy out of the stands and he'll probably be hitting Moss and Welker within a couple weeks.

15. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Option two sounds expensive so wait it out and don't make that decision until the final day. By all accounts Mat Cassel brought the Patriots 11 wins so really, dropping him would be stupid without a sure replacement, i.e. the return of Brady. So tag him once it is certain Brady just ain't coming back.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  17. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Considering Cassel's lack of first team snaps the last few years, dating back to USC, his progress is astounding. Some of it is probably due to the system, similar to the way the 49ers seemed to be able to just plug guys in. A lot of it is probably Cassel himself though. I've followed USC for many years and always wanted to see what Cassel could do. Leinart got in the way though, so it just never happened. Cassel has a little something extra with his mobility and he also seems to be a fiery leader. An enviable situation for the Pats...no doubt!

I'm sure the Patriots won't botch this one up the way the Bolts did when they had the L.T./Michael Turner situation. San Diego had suitors for the Burner with Green Bay leading the way. Instead A.J. got stubborn, shut off all talks the day before the draft and now will get only a compensatory 3rd rounder for a Pro-Bowler. For someone who idolizes the New England machine the way A.J. does, he really botched that one. My guess is, the Patriots will franchise Cassel for a year and will field all future trade offers for him while he is still under contract. That way they can pick and choose where he goes. If for some reason Brady's recovery is a problem, they'll have Cassel for another year.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cyanide Mint

Cyanide Mint BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Reminds me of this years Brett Favre situation.

19. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Good analysis and one I pretty much side with. They still have QB's O'Connell and Guttierez who know the system and have had great tutelage.

It is still kind of baffling why they drafted O'Connell as high as they did and not take a defensive player instead.

20. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Yes, it surprised a lot of people. Well they can always use the #2 next year they got from the Bolts to snag a defensive player :icon_huh: A.J...quit falling in love with white boys (Hester, Weddle). You could have had Tashard Choice without giving up anyone for him :icon_shrug:

21. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I've given up on trying to disect the logic behind the things that the Patriots do, I'm just not that smart.:no:

One thing I do know, though, is that they do things for a reason, and that reasoning is generally VERY sound. I'll just have to keep trusting them until the really blow something.

22. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    How very true. The trades, the draft choices, and some of the play calling have always baffled many, but for the most part, the calls have been excellent calls.

It will be interesting to watch what happens with Cassel after March 1 when he becomes a free agent.

If Brady returns I wonder if Belichick will continue to list him as "probable" on the injury list with a "shoulder?" :D

23. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Brady chose the wrong doctor, Rivers chose the right one. Rivers was not spending time in New York, L.A., out and about town.

Brady has no chip on his shoulder anymore. He's accomplished all he can. He needs another surgury because it wasn't done right the first time by the right doctor, and he is not rehabbing properly.:tdown:

24. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

My point about Rivers (The true MVP of 2008) is that he recovered better than anyone ever thought so quickly compared to McNabb, Carson Palmer, and now even Brady, since they are talking about another surgery and a possibility about missing '09.
    Rivers chose the right doctor, Brady did not. Brady does not seem commited to his rehab 100%.

Second, Rivers has had a great year, and his 100% commitment to his rehab has proven that. That was my point bringing up Rivers in this gay Patriots Brady thread.:icon_rofl:

25. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I guess my point is, how do you know he's not rehabbing properly? His rehab isn't proving effective right now. That isn't necessarily indicative of the way, or degree to which he is rehabbing.

Are you saying Rivers did a better job rehabbing because he doesn't have a life?:icon_rofl: Who knows, maybe you're right and Rivers benefitted because his life revolved around rehab, NASCAR and Xbox........

You can't rehab 24/7 so who really cares how Brady spent his down time?

Like I said, I don't know how he's rehabbing either. To say that Rivers just did it better doesn't make sense to me. What we do know is that the rehab procedure Rivers used worked better for him than the one Tom is using. Unless you're the physical therapist for both Brady and Rivers you can't really give an informed opinion on the matter.

26. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Yea, the product of systematic cheating.

I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread.

Is everyone under the illusion that the Patriots have stopped cheating? Kraft has funded cheating. Belichick has no ethics at all. And now their clean? I don't think so. As long as Belichick is their coach I will always question how they win games and I don't for one minute believe that their 11 wins this season are not the result of electronic surveillance and other methods of cheating. Never trust a known liar.

27. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    and maybe his wife and kids

28. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Like I said.....he doesn't have a life.:icon_rofl:

Just kidding, I had no idea he's a married man.

Hopefully he's a good husband and an even better father.

29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Yeah, 4 kids already!!. Married his high school sweetheart, no jiggy jiggy before marriage and all apparently!. 3 girls and a boy. real family man, never cussed. We'd call him boring in Ireland but he is one **** hot QB and leader of men. :tup:

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Don't you mean gynecologists? :icon_tease: :icon_banana:

Seriously - as much as I hate to give Belichick ANY props, he apparently has a good system that can work for most reasonably good QBs with a similar skill set. I, too, would like to see what Brady might do in another system. :icon_shrug: