1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time to dump AJ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Seriously.....I'm starting to feel like I did when I knew Bobby Beathard was losing the edge....Remember those days?....When Bobby thought he was smarter than the rest of the league and would trade our TOP 15 1st round pick EVERY year for an extra 2nd rounder in the current draft...and then turn around and draft a Bryan Still or Mikhael Ricks.......and then he OVERPAYS without doing the necessary due diligence or heeding the warning signs and drafts the ultimate franchise destroyer in the history of the game (sorry...I can't even say his name)....Now we've got a GM who was absolute MONEY in the draft....who is giving up the assets he once held as precious in his draft picks....to overpay for middle of the road athletes like Weddle and Hester.....and the kicker is that they would have been there anyway.

Look...I've been an AJ backer from day 1....I appreciate what he has done to get the franchise to where it is now....just like I appreciated Bobby Beathard for building a team that got us to the Superbowl for the first time.....but things change.

AJ's increasingly huge ego has been a problem...we've gotten lucky...we've worked around it....but it's getting to the point where Rome has the potential to collapse and be overrun by the huns.....His hostile attitude in negotiations, hard line stances...and his inability to listen to anyone by himself is starting to catch up.

We are going to lose some great players and some unsung heroes soon....and it won't be the fault of the players or agents. Remember AJ's hard line stance against our ONLY good offensive lineman Dielman? How many times are we going to have players give up much bigger contracts to stay home....and now there is no Lorenzo Neal to make the peace because AJ is too high and mighty to pick up the phone and at least talk to a player.

I know Acee is a **** stirrer...but I'm seriously afraid he is right about LT and Merriman.....and the cap is not the issue...we have the room...to sign ALL of our key players....and keep LT if we wanted to do it......but we have a major obstacle....AJ ddoes not like LT or Merriman's agent....who happens to be the same person. They won't talk....LT would probably restructure if needed (I don't even think that would be an issue)....but AJ won't even approach him....and won't acknowledge the obvious....that Merriman is the most important player on this defense. I'm not even going to go into players like Osgood...who...with some coaxing and less insulting attitude from his GM could probably be persuaded to stay in the unsung role where he is the best in the NFL.

Does anyone really think we're NOT going to have a problem signing Rivers also? That one will be a **** slinging contest too.

...and who does this franchise show loyalty to? Norv Turner. I'm not even a Marty fan....but to take a hard line stance that we've got to keep Norv Turner....that he never has to worry about accounability, etc....and then to chit on players like LT and Merriman is asanine to me.

I hope all the reports are wrong...I hope AJ is making nice with these guys behind closed doors and that contracts are being worked out to retain ALL of this teams key players....but common sense tells me we're going to be in for some disappointment very soon. :icon_sad:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    AJ worked out an extension with Condon for LT and we didnt even know it was in the works. If we offer fair value, it shouldnt be an issue.

I dont see Merriman giving the hometown discount but he is a player we need to keep. If we dont, he will be snapped up quickly. Look at those types and wehat they do for their defenses. Ware, Harisson............disrupters and AJ knows it.

Rivers should be an easy one. He is up there with Eli and Ben. AJ should know he needs to pony up to keep him and he should be happy to do it to keep him. He is a championship type QB. We have that guy here, so pay him!

IMO the hardest guy to sign will be Merriman but he didnt help himself by getting surgery when he did. If they wait to extend him during the season, it will be costlier than it could be now. And it will still be costly as it is.

3. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    what a worthless thread, yah lets dump the guy thats solely responsible for building this team to what is is today, you dont know jack **** do u

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    OK,

I'll Bite

You want to replace AJ - With Who???

Who is better and available...

my answer - NO

5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Pioli...Better...Available...Right now.

Shanhan...Better...Available...Right now.

Cowher...Better...Available...Right now.

6. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    That's a great response.....

That's a fantastic response...Thanks for the insult.

I already acknowledged that AJ was instrumental in building this team.....I now believe that his ego is beyond control and he is tearing it down.

and he's not "solely responsible" at all.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Boltergeist... Love ya like a brutha but HELL NO!

I think on one hand it is really a good thing that fans have gotten so spoiled that they are embarrased by winning the AFC West, and having a good GM in place to build the team and keep it competative.

On the other hand I have to scratch my head when I see people posting that AJ is losing it or they dont like this move or that move. Most of the time AJ has us eating crow in the end.

I guess that is why we are the fans and he is the GM.

8. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Thanks Conc for the sane reply

• Like Like x 1
  9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So you would take two good coaches and throw them in the front office to replace AJ Smith?

How many coaches make good GMs?

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    This is my big Question.

Would you want to go back and being the 1-15 team going no where but spiraling out of control and going to a possible 0-16 season with a different GM?

I am just happy that we are at the very least playing in the Playoffs. We just need a couple of pieces to go, then I think the Big Show will be there for us. I even think possibly by next year. I am just optimistic is all about the next season.

!!!!!GO CHARGERS GO!!!!!

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551

No way Bro, AJ built this team and we've seen what most of these players are capable of, they might as well bomb the whole system and start rebuilding if they fire AJ.

12. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Sometimes he does...sometimes he doesn't...and for the record I really hope you are right because I already know he has the Spanoses tongues surgically attached to his scrotum.

I have fully agreed that he helped bring this franchise to where it's at...I'm not worried about giving credit...I'm worried that the worst of his moves are coming...and we're seeing signs with his posturing with the media...high browed treatment of loyal players.....childish fighting with Marty.

Some other examples of bad moves:

2002...Let Rodney go prematurely after he played through an injury plagued season....sounds awfully familiar to what is going on now.
    2003...trade back to draft Sammy Davis Jr....Leave Polamalu on the table for Pittsburgh to snag.....His call.

2004-2006 did really well...I'll give him credit...I'm not even against us having dumped Donnie.

2007...Firing of a 14-2 coach....Buster Davis WTF? Eric Weddle trade WTF?
    2008...Lorenzo Neal gone WTF? 3rd and 2nd rounder for Jacob Hester WTF?

I'm a lot less confident than a couple of years ago...I'll put it this way.

We were L-U-C-K-Y that the Donkeys sucked SOOO bad that they imploded worse than any team in history so that we could win the division....a division we should have won by 5 games given the difference in talent on this team.

It just sickens me when some of our fan base is like "yay Norv won 3 playoff games" (2 against the Colts who we own anyway)...We SHOULD have won two Superbowls right now with our talent....We SHOULD have brought in the best F'in coach available...not reatreat Norv....We SHOULD be going for the juggular right now with this team..like the Patriots do when they smell blood (trade for Randy Moss..etc)....at LEAST sign our own freaking players and keep the family together.

13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Who would you want Boltergeist.

AJ Smith or Matt Millen?

AJ Smith or Al Davis?

AJ smith or Gene Smith?

AJ Smith or Jay Zygmunt?

AJ Smith or Carl Peterson?

Those are a few of them.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551

Amen bro, tell it like it is.

But to fire AJ would be to blow up this organization and start fresh, its just too radical a move right now when we have most of the pieces in place.

I think of it like driving, dont overcorrect your mistakes.

15. Mrbroom

Mrbroom BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Bill Parcells can still dump Miami ($$$).. The only AJ replacement I would accept.. Otherwise, I would like to see what AJ can do by August and what acquisitions he is able to make.. And who he is able to negotiate extensions with..

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    sheet. merriman gets hurt and ladaninan and gates are gimpy alot of the season. Time to shore up the lines to really improve the chargers. We've got all the weapons now. Just need the d-line and o-line more solid.:yes:

If the chargers can shore up the lines we should finally get our super bowl thingy.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    We need another 2004 draft basically.

AJ struck gold in almost every round that year.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Rodney: It is reported that this was a Marty move. Harrison and Seau were resistant to what Marty wanted to accomplish. They were the old regime and Marty wanted to rebuild the team and its attitude. While I did not agree fully with it, I dont get to make those calls.

Sammy v. Troy: Even the best GMs have situations like this. The draft is a gamble, not a science. You can evaluate do the numbers and certain players are going to be HOF'ers (Like Troy) and others are going to crash and burn like Sammy.

Also let me point out that AJ was not named GM until 2003. While he did have much input and more as Butler (RIP) waned in health, the player movement decisions during the 02 season were Jobus. The Draft board was relatively done before AJ became responsible for the draft. It was not fully HIS draft.

2004-2006, yes he did really well. We agree.

2007, while I was not a fan of how two grown men could act like children like AJ and Marty were, Marty helped ensure he would leave. First he let his coaching staff go, then demanded to hire his brother when the Team President said no. I am sorry but that is on Marty, not as much on AJ.

Eric Weddle, regardless of the fact that he is en vogue to hate on him, he plays well. Cottrell mined f'ed this defense for the first 8 weeks plus TC and MC. You need to see how he plays next season. I think you will be eating a plate of crow on this kid. If not remind me and I will tell you that you were right. My point? It is too early to tell.

2008 yeah Neal was let go. I loved the human bowling ball but HE ASKED FOR HIS RELEASE. He did not like what his role was to be and decided to go else where. What was AJ supposed to do, tell him he could carry the ball to keep him?

Again, we could not use the draft picks we gave up for Hester. Look at the turnover we have had in the years that AJ has been GM. There is very little. He keeps Chargers Chargers. We cant get a buch of draft picks and pay them just to cut them later. Also stop judging Hester. Wait, give him three years then judge him. Right now you dont have enough to go on to say if he is good or not. Fact is he got better as the season went on.

YES! We were lucky to win the west. BUT WE WON THE WEST! The team did not crumble, they did not go belly up like Cincy and other 'talented' teams. They stayed in there and fought back into it. They faced a lot of adversity that the fans here refuse to accept. Merriman being out was a HUGE hit. LT and Gates hobbled for much of the season did not help. The O Line was not fully together till what the 4th game? They lacked continuity we enjoyed the last two years. BUT THE TEAM KEPT FIGHTING AND WON THE WEST! Am I supposed to apologize for that? I wont.

I am sorry you are sickened by the talk about playoff wins. It is a building block in my mind. The fact that Norv, hated as he is is tied for the most post season wins as any other Charger coach in team history after only two seasons tells me we are heading in the right direction. Again I wont apologize for that.

You choose your perception and attitude. If you think everything is doom and gloom it will be to you.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_eek: OMG! I agree with Mati... Run for the hills it is the final sign or Armageddon!

20. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Let's dump AJ for Millen. I hear that he's available now.....

21. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    We are talking GM here so first let me admit I don't know who pioli is. But Shanahan.......you have to be kidding me. He has made some horrible decisions for Denver as their acting GM and it was said that I think from their last 4 or 5 drafts, they have 5 players still on their team from them. Cower is not a GM and I don't want him learning on my team. So I have to say, NOT better.

22. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    That's easier to do when your picking first in every round.

23. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Pioli is the VP of Player Personnel for the Patriots.

24. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Isnt he going to take the KC job? He isnt available.

25. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Butler did that one.

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Merriman, LT and Cromartie will be healthy next season. AJ has this draft and a possible fat boy or two as free agents. I will keep any harsh judgments off of AJ unless he fails to fill some obvious needs that we had last season again this season.

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    About Hester...
    I think Hester was a great pick up and I like what (very little) I've seen of him. Blame Norv for only letting him touch the ball a handful of times.
    He should have been very active yesterday!!!

About AJ...
    Fired him? No.
    Pressure him? Yes!!!!
    We very much regressed this season. Talk injuries till you're blue in the face but how abut this? The Cardinals weren't even suppose to be in Carolina on Saturday and they smeared them without Boldin!!!
    So what's our excuse?

Clinching your division at 8-8 just means that you don't suck as bad as the other teams in your division. Nothing More!!!

So I think AJ should be on the hot seat. If he's confident enough in Norv to put his name on the line for him, so be it.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The Chargers were not supposed to play at all in the post season. So why exactly does someone need to justify anything or give you an excuse?

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

WOW!!!! Talk about memory lapse... did you already forget that we were suppose to be contenders for the Super Bowl? In fact, many sources predicted we should be there and even win it!
    Did you already forget the team we were in 2006 and 2007?

The talk about us not being in the post season was not brought up till we sunk to 4-8. Because we were no longer in control of our own destiny, being that Denver had to lose their last 4.

Though when it reached the point of facing Denver in week 16, most people expected us to be in the post season.

I know that you know all of this.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok you bought into the media hype. Congrats. But why do you keep asking the same thing over and over and over and over and over when you refuse to listen to what people tell you?

We get it you are depressed. Possibly under suicide watch. We get it really, you hate Norv, AJ and most things Chargers. We get it.

Just post something new once in a while.