1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is It Too Late To Resign Sproles?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Probably! Even Shanarat mentioned wanting to sign him just so he doesn't have to face him. They need to get it done somehow or he'll just walk like the Burner, and they'll get little compensation. Too much money was laid out on over-valued defensive players I guess :tdown:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Concievably yeah

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Shh, the postseason isn't over yet. Burn bridges when you get to them...er...wait a second, that would mean we're burning away the future path so...uh...cross bridges when you get to them...then burn them.
    Yes, resign Sproles. Release some useless (going to regret it still) defensive players and pay fro Sproles, as LT's eventual replacement and the "best return man in the NFL" both of which he is fully prepared to become.

4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Why would it be too late? Sproles has said this is where he wants to be.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Is he a free agent after this year?

Who else is a free agent?

I'd tag him, unless we need to use that on Merriman.

6. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Sproles is a free agent...Merriman has one more year on his current deal.

Sign 'em both dammit.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I want them both locked up

But, at the very least, tag Sproles to give us another year.

Is he a RFA or an URFA?

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Tag Sproles?

He wont get as much to resign him (per season) as it will to tag him. He wont imo get near the contract Turner got. He is a URFA

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If they can sign him for less before it comes to that, then by all means sign him for less.

My call to tag him was more of a proclomation that I'd do it if that's what it took because I think he's that important.

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Why would it be too late?

The salary cap will likely increase it's standard $6 to $7 million annually like it has been for the past 8 years.

Use most of that for the pocket rocket.

11. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    To tag him we would have to pay him the average of the top 5 compensated RB's in the NFL. I love me some Sproles but he is not worth that.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Sproles is what they expected Reggie Bush too be, kid is gonna rake mad money from some stupid team that is going to misuse him.

13. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. The Patriots shelled out big bucks for (at the time) super utility kick returner / slot receiver Wes Welker...who had one year of nice (but not great) stats under his belt with Miami. Just sayin'....I can easily see a team like the Broncos shelling out for him.

That being said, I don't think we're letting him go.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Tag Sproles? Are you guise high?

He will be resigned.

15. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    its never to late,sproles is great but he isnt going to be out on the market getting big money, he is not a everydown back, he wants to be a charger

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Only of note is tha the'll go out and look for a team that wants to give him a starting job and/or ridiculous money. Do I think he'll get it? Not the first but the second, who knows. Someone might be willing to toss a crap ton of money at an outstanding scatback. If they don't we can resign him but he's clearly and definitely earned a raise.

17. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    If the Chargers don't sign Merrimen, The Patriots will....:D

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Ask Castillo to give some of his $$$ back for the sake of the team and due to the fact that he ain't worth F all of it.

Cut Wilhelm and his overpaid salary. Looks like Chambers is expendable too with the emergence of #80 and Legs.

Make the $$$ available for Sproles, Merriman, McNeill, Floyd and VJ.

Bye Cro, would love to see us trade him for nice picks. Some dumb *** team will fall for it. The only way I can see us making use of this guy is on O as a wideout.

19. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    you're an idiot. probably the same guy who was calling for sporles to be cut when he broke his leg, or yelling that VJ didn't use his hands two seasons ago enough and would never be an elite WR and that floyd just didn't have the skills to be on the team with players like eric parker.

There's a saying that says the day coaches/managers start listening to the fans the next day they cease being coaches/managers and join the fans in the bleachers. your post couldn't illustrate that point better.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Cro has been playing through a really nasty hip injury and there is no reason to sell Chambers short just yet. He will fill the same role that Parker played here for some time. Chambers is savvy and experienced and he's paid for.

21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    re-sign sproles, merriman, m80. they're worth it!

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I hope they can

23. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

Tell Dielman to have a little talk with him. :D

24. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Damn, talk about jumping down a fellow Bolt fan's throat just for stating his opinion :no: Some of what he says holds some merit. A.J. clearly overpaid on some extensions to defensive players, Castillo being one of them. Chambers is due some big money in 2009..is he still the number 1 receiver on this team? Not with the emergence of V.J. and Floyd. To keep Sproles and Merriman, management is definitely going to have to do something and it might mean some trading and or cuts :icon_shrug:

As for Sproles, management itself was on the verge of cutting Sproles just as they cut Wes Welker a few years ago. He was the last man to make the team last year. I've loved the guy since his K State days. Can you imagine if A.J. had actually cut him last year? Thay would have started a full blown mutiny!

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And you're a ******** for your insulting post when all DB did was express his opinion. Castillo WAS overpaid, Chambers CAN be replaced, & you're no GM either.

Take your meds & STFU.

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    WTF!?...... somepiss in ur cereal this morning?.

I probably shouldn't but I will answer your bogus accusations;

I never called for Sproles to be cut (I have called for the cutting of Wilhelm and Igor however, not afraid to admit it neither).
    I have always liked VJ (just like I'm ready to wait for Buster).
    As for Malcom, u musta been born yesterday or somethin. He was my adopted Bolt in 06, I have been raving about this guy for 3 yrs.

So tell me what in my post merits being called an 'idiot'?.... As far as I'm concerned all my opinions (cos that's what they are) are perfectly valid. All the changes I propose will make this team better period.

I guess asking for an apology is probably asking too much?. :icon_shrug:

27. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Maybe we can get LT to restucture his deal. He is in every damn comercial this year.

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The franchise tag will not be used on Sproles. This is effing crazy to even think a back up RB will be paid the average of the Top 5 RB's in the league. :lol:

Turner was a restricted free agent (RFA) which means we could tender a contract which would require a 1st and 3rd draft pick if a team wanted him last year.

Sproles will command open market dollars. He will be looking for Allan Rossum like money for returners and AJ will offer something lower than that for the San Diego discount/premium to live in this most biitchin place.

Chambers and I love this dude, may be on his way out with Floyd stepping up.

Wilhelm is gone. Buh bye. Adios !!!

Igor will probably hit the road as well and Castillo is not earning that paycheck as of late. Our defensive front 7 has been a disaster this year....you know ...the same dudes that let Adrian Peterson run for 295 yards. :icon_evil:

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Chambers has become expendable, especially with the money that he's due for next year. Not only has Floyd looked good, but Naanee can be a very good slot receiver given the chance. Good hands, tough as nails, strong - he just needs the reps.

Wilhelm? I HOPE he's gone. AMF.

Igor? Outta here - Cesaire can do a better job. Hopefully the lines are a place that AJ gives some love this year. Castillo - I dunno. He got paid WAY more than I would have thought that AJ would pony up. He obviously missed having SM lined up behind him commanding 2-3 blockers. I think he's a better 4-3 guy than 3-4. But he's going nowhere. AJ is only going to admit but so many mistakes .... :yes:

Sproles needs to be re-signed. He's getting better all the time & mixes in well with the other backs. Combine that with the ST play & he's in a good position to get shown some money. Franchised? Not likely, but I think AJ will show him some love.

30. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Cesaire is not a starter. The best he has brought was the smack on Cutlers hair and attire.

LT and Merriman need to be traded.

If we trade these two, we could load up the lines "where the war is won and lost" and dominate this league for the next decade.

We could get 4 first round draft picks and maybe seasoned impact line players. Those draft picks can be parlayed into more first rounders later on. Fans have to think outside the box and get out of their comfort zones thinking we can afford everyone.