1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is LT already the Best RB Ever?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, May 20, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This article points out a lot of statistics. I think it makes a pretty good point.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    That list from 1994 is outdated. Also, comparing players from 100 years ago:lol: to today's players is different.

Either way LT is a top 5 RB of all time with a few more years to go. :tup:

3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I'd like to see LT come up big in a playoff game. To be truly great, you need to make some kind of mark in the postseason.

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Walter Payton is still at the top of my list - he was more than special... but as TK said, LT could gain much from going big in the big dance...

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Bingo.

I could care less about his standing in the "best ever" debate. Put a team on your back in January and win a ring or STFU.

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    [​IMG]

7. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Whatever. Tell that to Sanders. The fact is, LT is a special player and we're lucky to have him on our team and have an opportunity to watch him play the game. If people can't enjoy that, then they're the ones missing out. :icon_shrug:

8. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Pretty much agree. Payton didn't exactly carry the Bears to their Super Bowl win, and it's not Barry Sanders' fault that the Lions sucked . In fact, I could make a case for saying that accomplishing what he did on a team that stunk makes Barry's accomplishments all the more amazing.

9. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    That's why I have such a hard time excluding him from the number one position when I argue this list with myself.

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    It is way too easy for teams to take LT out of the game, especially the important ones. The great players will make an impact regardless of that.

LT needs to do that at some point, plain and simple.

11. Blue and gold machine

Blue and gold machine BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    That's exactly what I was thinking when I was reading the article. Players are more physically fit than ever. Not taking away form what Jim Brown accomplished but...

Now what you gotta think about is that team spend countless hours to game plan against #21 and they still have a hard time slowing him down, he is that good. Who knows...when the smoke settles and he/we get our Super bowl ring, he will probably be known as the best "football player" ever.

RUN,CATCH,THROW,BLOCK=FOOTBALL PLAYER.

Find me one that has been better in all aspects.

IS IT SEPTEMBER YET???

12. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Where did I say I couldn't enjoy watching him play? :icon_huh:

When I think of Sanders, I think about the playoff game he played against the Cowboys where he had 16 carries for -1 yard. I could care less about him.

I guess my major beef is this need to find "THE BEST EVER" with everything. We saw it all year last season with the Pats, and how did that work out? At the end of the day, it's all debatable. The only thing that isn't is hardware. Big time players make big time plays in big time games. So far in his career, we haven't seen a signature game from LT when it counts, ala Emmitt Smith going for 165 yards against the Giants in the playoffs with a separated shoulder.

13. Blue and gold machine

Blue and gold machine BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    What would you be able to do with a F'ed up knee???

LT said it best" 100% Micheal Turner and 100% Darren Sproles are better than 25% LT"

Lets see what happens this year in the post season...

14. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    lol, that doesn't mean anything. You can't quantify a players entire career on the basis of a single game that may or may not ever happen. We all want to win a superbowl. The only reason we are even in a position to do so is because we have LT. That's it. Everything started with him. I'm pretty sure Jermaine Fazande wasn't going to bring home any trophies. Seriously, if the chargers win a sb and LT only gains 35 yards, are you going to hold that against him? I mean, really, he carried the team against the pats 2 years ago and pretty much everybody else let him down.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He's the best RB this team has ever had & that's what matters most to me. :lt:

16. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I understand your point about making an impact in the biggest of games, but Emmit is a bad example IMHO. Everyone knew that Aikman and Irvin, or Harper, or Novacek, or Johnson, or whoever, would beat you if you slacked off in pass defense to defend Emmit. Until Philip's emergence, we could claim no such thing. The blueprint to beat us was, simply, "Stop LT." As superhuman as he is, there's no way he could run uphill against defenses designed to stop him, particularly good-to-great defenses in the postseason.

Until late last year, we could still be considered beatable if you stopped LT, and teams continued to sell out to do so. Yeah, our passing game was pretty good, but it was inconsistent enough that most of the league didn't really believe it. These last playoffs showed a little something different; PR ended the year strong, and a good deal of us expect him to come out firing this year.

If he does, then EC, I think this is the year you will see your "impact game" from LT in the postseason... not because he's not already great, but because his team hasn't been feared enough... and, perhaps, justifiably so. Once our passing game can inspire honest-to-goodness fear from our opponents... look out. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  17. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Here's a good post from the comments section of that article. Some eye-opening stats.

18. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

When Lt's not pussing out...yes he's the greatest ever.:lol::flag:

19. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    In my opinion, this is an intelligent thread (Bravo). Charger Fans should be celebrating the fact that we are witnessing one of the greatest running back of all TIME! It is debatable whether LT is the best every, but this is the sort of conversation he deserves!

20. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I have to agree. You can make a statement about great players play their best in the most important games, but no running back that I'm aware of has ever had a great game in the playoffs with a sh!tty offensive line that couldn't sustain any blocks for him.

21. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

You are 100% right :tup:

I'd like to also add F**k these so-called Bolt fans who bash LT. They probably bashed the great almighty FOUTS because he only got us to 2 AFC Championship games and came up short both times.

Those fans will be the same ones cheering for LT, praising his greatness when he leads us to the promised land holding the Lombardi. :yes:

Even if he doesn't, It's still an honor to have one of the greatest RB of all time playing for the Bolts. :tup:

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

These comparisons are problematic. Alexander the Great would have been scooped by Caesar, Caesar would have been scooped by Ghengis Kahn, Ghengis would have been scooped by Napoleon, Napoleon would have been scooped by US Grant, Grant would have been scooped by Heinz Guderian, Guderian would have been scooped by Abrams and they all would have been scooped by Powell. Each of the guys mentioned in the original post were men of their times, competing against men of their times. If LT went back to the time of Jim Brown, it would be a slaughter. If Jim Brown came back now, he would have been culled by concussions. The only runner I know from way back when who would have thrived now was Sayers. Payton, Faulk and Sanders belong in the modern era along with Emmet Smith. If I was to pick one for my dream team, I would flip a series of coins between Sayers, Payton, Faulk, Sanders and LT. There isn't a red c#@t hair of difference between the advantage of having any one of them. Sentimentality and gut memory tells me that I'd love to have Paul Lowe in his prime. 'Course that could change if the other guys wore that Lowe Bolt uniform. Nothing will ever be more suited to a football field.