1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is McCoy out for sure?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Slam, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    ive read articles stating he's a lame duck but then listen to stories where they say Denver is do or die for McCoy?

So which is it? Has telesco confirmed anything?

I listened to someone suggesting Tom Coughlin coming here, that would be great in my opinion but I guess his whole family is on the east coast

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    You'd have much better luck finding the winning lottery numbers for both the Power Ball and the Mega Millions at the same time than you'd have finding one instance of a professional sports team stating they're officially firing their coach/manager before they actually officially make the decision and there are still games to be coached.

Although, now that I think of it, I think that actually did happen with Alan Trammell and the Tigers, but that is literally the only instance that comes to mind and I remember being very shocked when those reports were coming out. Generally speaking, nobody's going to tell the public that they're definitively firing a coach they're still expecting to coach some games...and not just for his sake. Until official decisions are made anything can happen to possibly change your mind and you don't want to burn bridges at the very least until you no longer need them.

3. I Maze I

I Maze I BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +24
    No. Knowing him/us we will win tonight and he will continue to limp along as our HC while we don't make playoffs yet again

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    As for my sheer speculation on McCoy based on speculative reports from reporters who at least have some insight to base their speculation on?

I can't see them not firing him barring maybe a blowout victory tonight, and even then I wouldn't be entirely certain.

Most years I'd be saying they're not doing anything til the offseason, but this year they have reactionary fans they're trying to convince to vote for a stadium and very little time to do it, and the W/L column isn't helping them there even with a W today.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    And after today, the Bolts still have an away game in ATL then the Donks again in DEN at the end of the month.

6. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    McCoy will be fired. Tonight being a due or die for him is in regards to if he gets fired now or at some point later in the season or after the season. Outside of maybe a 9-2 finish to the year he will be fired

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Basically if the Chargers don't fire McCoy tomorrow he will be their head coach until the end of the season. Short of the bye week (but that's like week 9) there's no other viable time to let go of their head coach. Not to mention there's just way too many reports out there suggesting McCoy's seat is broiler hot right now, combined with no one refuting them.

8. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    If he wins, and even if barely, he stays, it is the Spanos way. He should have been fired after last week, short week or not. We will have to wait until the next loss, and then prob Wiz take over, not do much. Then sit through another harrowing Spanos hiring in the off season. I still remember driving to lunch in 2007, 1090am said the Chargers have hired a new coach, and letting it linger for a second, it was like waiting for a death sentence. Well we got it, "the new coach for the San Diego Chargers, Norv Turner." btw, McCoy isnt the entire problem, it is the organization, now starting with Jon Spanos, and also that charlatan Tom Telesco. It seems like Dean urged, or brought in meek people for his son to have a soft landing into a position, he obviously has no business being in. I wish he'd go back to ball boy.

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Really what's the point in keeping him. The only real goal of the organization should be to win a championship. There is plenty of evidence over the last few seasons that McCoy will never be the guy to get his team to that level. So why let him hang around any longer? It serves no useful purpose.

If Whiz takes over and things don't improve, so what? There's no reason not to find out if he can't do better. He'll get enough games to make some kind of evaluation, and then you have something at the end of the year when you decide what to do with the HC position. Staying with the same thing, and hoping that things will miraculously change is the height of stupidity.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The only coach who the Chargers have let go in the middle of the season was Gilbride.

Riley, and others were kept till the end of the season/contract.

11. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Probably better sh*t-can him before November 8th.........just say'n.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    I doubt they get rid of him if we win, but I would be totally fine with it. Take advantage of the 10 day layoff, get Whis in there, and see if he has the guts to get us out of this tail spin.

13. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Kind of befitting and an irony if he gets his pink slip after the Broncos kick his butt. Would give him more time to consider his "development" once his offseason starts early for him, but not early enough for the remaining diehard fans!

14. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Let's face it, this organization is well on its way for a top 3 pick again, if not THE TOP pick in the 2017 draft. If the moron bosses in the FO have a semblance of any sense left, irrespective of the Stadium initiative on 11/08, they can and should consider that sort of top pick to either:

1- find a top college QB to replace Rivers in a couple of years when they become the Rams tenants in LA (or an outside shot that they finagle a stadium down in here)

Or

2- trade away the pick or Rivers, whichever garners them the best deal to rebuild this team from ground up. LOS and Tom Minion by then ought to have enough ammo in the draft to NOT fark things up! Team needs a stud # 1 WR in addition to Allen and those who remain on the team for the 2017 roster must have the fear of Gawd instilled in them for 2017. Something which McCoy is simply now incapable of doing for this team. The MilkToast lost this team sometimes in the last season!

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I guess I'm a moron because I find both ideas idiotic 1)it's been shown that half a season is time enough to develop a QB, you don't need him to sit for 2-3 years, as it has been said, that would be a big FU to Philip.

16. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    This roster is OK and is getting better. This rookie class looks like it could yield some nice hits. If they keep McCoy for the balance of the season and we piss more wins away on our road to another high pick, they should invest in more blue chip talent around Rivers and hire a coach that isn't a liability in close games. Garrett, Peppers, Adams, or what have you. I haven't studied this class yet.

17. Boltman1

Boltman1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Considering the vote coming up Nov. 8th. McCoy 100% gets fired if he loses tonight. I think if we win tonight and we lose against the Falcons next week he has to be fired.

18. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    If McCoy is let go in the middle of the season I know Wiz is the favorite to be the interim guy but I would prefer to see Pagano be the interim guy. Over the years it seems like most of his players like him a lot and id like to see him get an opportunity

• Like Like x 1
  19. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Pagano is a loser like McCoy. Don't want to see hi as interim HC. As far as McCoy goes, I do see the idiot Chargers keep him regardless of how the game goes.

Bye bye Prop C in 2016.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    You're claiming bye bye on Prop C in 2016 in response to non-action that we're all speculating whether or not it'll happen.

There's many fans just like you that'd have the same attitude.

Chargers management wants Prop C to happen.

They may be inept but it boggles my mind why anyone would let their cynicism overtake their thought so much to not even consider the possibility it happens.

Inept management does just do whatever is the worst for the team. That'd imply a conscious and not-so-inept approach to accomplish an intended goal.

Instead, they may simply have different goals that don't always coincide with winning as we may like, but in this case firing the coach may be within the best interest of what they want....because of the very way you just reacted in this thread.

That being said, i'm not pitching any guarantees here. I can't read the future.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    As for the would-be interim, I'm pretty sure the one with HC experience on hand is a shoo-in for the role.

22. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    His unit is also the one performing.

23. woodeye

woodeye Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Can him at halftime.
    Got your adjustments right here.

24. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    McCoy is actually gameplanning alot better this year but is dealing with injuries on all sides of the ball. All that being said McCoy has certainly shown in his 3 seasons as HC he is a above avg HC.

I want him to stay until the end of the season so as to avoid Whiz winning over the Spanos as a interim HC. I'm not worried about Prop C as we know it will fail but the Spanos will still renew their lease on the Q and year long clock to L.A will renew.

25. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    What the entire O? Or the run game he was suppose to bring with him that is still below avg. Our passing as always been above avg with Rivers in charge. Whiz HAS got to make MG3 a 1st round back or imo he can kick rocks at the end of the season.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Whose unit isn't?

27. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    Last year we were 26th in points/game with 20. So far this season we are 2nd with 30. So I would say there's a case that Whisenhunt is an upgrade and deserves some credit.

28. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    The one allowing 28 points per game (28th).

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I guess it's hard to convey the tone the internet.

I meant that rhetorically in a sense that nobody's unit is performing to standards.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Also, were we talking about Pagano? Because the original post you quoted was referring to Whiz.