1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Merriman agent switch a precursor to a trade?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by oldschool1, May 12, 2010.

1. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-Merriman-agent-switch-a-precursor-to-a-trade.html

Reading into San Diego Chargers star linebacker Shawne Merriman's agent switch from Tom Condon to David Dunn, the San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that it might provide an impetus for a trade.

Per the report, Merriman was actively shopped during the NFL draft in trade proposals.

However, each trade fell apart because of "high demands" from Condon regarding potential contract extensions.

One of those teams that was interested: the New Orleans Saints.

Merriman is a restricted free agent who was assigned the high tender.

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith didn't have much of a reaction to Condon no longer representing Merriman.

“I have none,” Smith told the Union-Tribune. “Shawne made a business decision that I’m sure he feels is in his best interest. Who players have to represent them means nothing to us. However, it means a great deal to the players. They should have an agent they feel comfortable with.”

And Smith didn't address the possibility of a trade.

“Shawne was tendered,” Smith said. “Our intentions are that he would play for us this year. If there are any other developments, we will let you know.”

Oldie Out

2. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Why would we trade him now, after the draft? Unless there's a player out there that we really want I say keep him and see if he can return to form and give English more time to develop.

3. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    What player on the Saints would A.J. covet in a deal for Merriman? Even if OT Jamal Brown was in Smith's crosshairs, any trade of Merriman would require more in return.

I suspect a trade would be more about future draft picks than about a *now* player.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Man, I hope not.

5. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    He still doesnt get it.

Agents dont get you what you want - solid play on the field does.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    If we don't trade him before the season ends then we will not get anything for him. Like the Brees deal.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly. When it comes to players who actually have value, there is no reason we should ever let them go into the final year of their deal, if there are no plans on trying to keep him. Trade them a year early for something, rather than letting them walk a year late for nothing.

Unfortunately, they can't even plan on the franchise tag being available since there may not even be a CBA in place that authorizes the use of a franchise tag, and the new CBA may not include a franchise tag.

I would much rather keep Merriman than Phillips, but AJ has been dead set on getting rid of him for years. So I would rather them do it now, rather than getting nothing at the end of the year, which is very likely, afterall that is what we did with Turner and Brees also

8. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Yes, but having him here while we're potentially gearing up for a superbowl run is worth more to us than a future draft pick IMO.

9. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I'm still holding out hope that he plays this year, has 20 sacks, proving his knee is back 100%, then signs a long-term deal that keeps him in lightening bolts till 2017.

Wishful thinking?

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yes. AJ would have dumped him 2 years ago had he not gotten hurt. For some reason AJ just can't stand this guy, and doesn't want him here. If he did, he wouldn't be having Kevin Acee say Merriman is as good as gone for the last 3 years

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Either way AJ is going to come out looking bad. If we trade him now and come up short the he will get blamed for letting him go. If we keep him and let him go for nothing, he will look bad. If he starts the season and he is sucking then people will blame AJ for not trading him. Whatever happens this is a no win situation.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    ok, first a couple of assumptions

-there is football in 2011
    -Gates, Jackson and McNeil sign long term contracts

if Merriman is traded for a 2011 first rounder

The Chargers will be a little worse this year, but next year they would have 2 #1, 2 #2 (hopefully) and 2 #3 (plus the rest of the picks), plus, hopefully the 2010 draft class (plus Martin, OG and English) contributing a lot. So basically every player (except Jammer) in their prime or on their way up with a whole bunch of draft picks

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    From what I understand just before the draft there were like two offers for merriman but merrimans last agent couldn't get a deal done. Which I'm guessing upset merriman so he fired his last agent.

Merriman wants to make alot of money. He likes it in san diego cause it close to hollywood but I think he'd like to make alot more money someplace else.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If we win the SB, no matter what he does, he and Norv will be called god

15. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    For Merriman to get the $$$$$ he has very little offers when it comes to Hollywood. He would have to be either Here in SD to all the way in these places as well:

SF, Oakland, Arizona, Seattle, and possibly Denver. :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    When you are told for 3 years that there is no way you will get a new deal in SD, by the only writer who has access to your GM (Kevin Acee), I can't say I blame him for wanting money somewhere else, after all, according to Acee, he has no choice but go somewhere else.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I don't know if anyone believes anything acee says.

What with the chargers haveing to sign mcneil and jackson and one or two others to long term big contracts someone had to go. It was kind of a clue when they drafted english last year.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    don;t know where merriman will wind up. But he likes the east coast where he's from. Maybe new york cause its like hollywood east.

19. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    You will if he ends up sucking this year, or getting injured early in the season.

Merriman is an asset who has no future here past 2010, I wouldn't be shocked at all if we traded him at any point before the deadline in week 6. I would be surprised if AJ settled for less than a 1st round pick.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I totally understand that he couldn't sign all the guys, but he may have been able to had he started working on their contracts before they became studs like he did with Jammer, Hardwick, and Phillips, all of who are significantly under paid for their performance levels.

Even if he knew he couldn't sign all the players, Acee wouldn't have been saying with that there was no way for Merriman to get a new contract in SD, 3 years ago, unless he heard it directly from AJ.

Most times Acee presents an opinion, it is wrong. But when he presents something as absolute fact, it usually is. In fact, I still think in many cases, his false opinions are put on by AJ to get people twisted about what will really happen, especially at draft time. When Acee says there is no way the Chargers take a RB in the 1st, you could guarantee that they would. But other teams may think he knows something, and may take the bait

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Unless he is having a good year at that point, I highly doubt any team pays a 1st for a guy they just hope returns to form. He will have to give them reason to believe he will return

22. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    DenverBolt67 does. :yes:
    Just look at how often he quotes him as fact. :lol:

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I have never quoted his opinions as fact, not once. But he has never been wrong about something that he stated as fact, especially if he stated it as fact for 3 years.

You can believe what you want. I will believe the man who is in AJ's office way more often than anyone on this board

24. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432

Please, give me an example of an Acee fact, that has been right. :yes:

I don't listen to or believe a beat writer from the UT. I grew up reading that rag of a newspaper. I talked to a Charger player who told me he won't even talk to Acee. I'll take that,anytime.

25. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Just my opinion. But acee's job is to put out informantion the chargers want out there. Which entails him putting out misinformation. All teams do that. But his job also entails putting out feelers to other teams what the chargers might want to do. Which like in the case of cro was to get rid of him. And possibly in the merriman case its to try and see who will pay what for him.

I'm not putting accee down. He's actually fairlly good at what he does. He keeps a straight face and says what he has to say. Its his job to put out information either little white lies or feelers so other teams might get interested in a player.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are totally correct. But the Chargers would have absolutely zero to gain by saying Merriman had no chance of staying. It would actually lower his trade value since teams would know we had no interest in keeping him, and would be desperate to get what we can. I could see if some info came out right before the draft, but when it has been coming out for years, and he has said that it is not opinion but that he has been told it, I don't see any reason to think he is lying.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He said as soon as the season was over, that Cro had ZERO chance of stepping foot in the Chargers locker room in 2010. He also said after his contract was re-worked in 2009, that LT had no chance of being a Charger in 2010.

The man has access to AJ that none of us will ever has. Sometimes he is just saying what AJ allows him to say, to try and deceive other teams, but to do that, he would need AJ to throw him a bone once in a while or his credibility would be zero and he would lose his job if he was wrong about everything.

By the way, I don't even read the UT. I only hear what he has to say when he goes on the radio every couple weeks.

28. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    To Acee's credit, he said the Chargers might go CB in the 1st round. And AJ said if Mathews had been gone they would have considered CBs and Ss.

29. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    He also had Brian Price to the Chargers in the 1st. round. :icon_rofl:

30. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    WE did well with this draft. REally well. I beleive we actually lucked out big time that players we wanted we were able to rangle on getting. I read an article with donald butler. And butler said the chargers told him they'd try and grab him with the 2nd rounder. After trading up and loosing our 2nd rounder I'm having to guess the chargers were hoping butler might still be there later.