1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Norv our Tom Coughlin?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    This isn't a Norv love thread, nor is it a Norv hate thread.

Coughlin went throught the same sh!t Norv is going through. He had a big money QB & a GM that loved to be in front of the media. Couldn't have been easy dealing with the NY media either.

I know...the Giants had a defense that grew a pair in the SB and we all know what happened (sorry Beerguy & Buck Blincoe).

Can that happen here?

Again...not meaning to start another Norv love/hate fest. Just thought the parallels here were interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    If I had to compare the two from a personal standpoint I would call Norv the anti-Coughlin, and I don't see any similarities in their coaching design.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    It's kind of my understanding that the beat on Coughlin was that it basically took that long for everyone, players and organization, to adjust to Coughlin's 'death to the infidels' disciplinarianism.

Is Norv bringing something drastic to the table that we're waiting for everyone to pick up on? :icon_shrug:

4. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82

Oh god....

I'm sure that I can come up with a ton of things that say, Tony Dungy and I have in common if I look hard enough. That doesn't mean I'd be a good coach.

Norv is a bad coach. I don't hate the guy but he's proven over and over and over again that he's a bad coach.

Coughlin had success in Jacksonville before he went to NY. The reason why Coughlin wasn't liked in the begining was because he was too hard on his players and he expected a lot out of them. Kind of the opposite of how Norv runs his ship.

Norv was a successfull offensive coordinator on a loaded team, with a huge offensive line, 3 hall of famers on offense and a pretty damn good defense. I think it's safe to say that, no there isn't much of a chance of Norm winning a Superbowl in San Diego.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Exactly! One mistake Coughlin made in Jacksonville was being both HC and OC. He might have taken the farther if he got an OC.

6. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I really don't think Norv can coach this team to a title. Being OC and a choach had nothing to do with him kicking a fieldgoal against baltimore before the half instead of going for the touchdown. Watch a Patriots game or a Pittsburgh game and watch their head coach go for it on 4th and 1 or 4th and inches even when they're not supposed to. They know how a blow like that affects the other team mentaly. That is why they have won championships and the bolts haven't. Norv doesn't have the courage to make tough calls. I don't want a coach like that.