1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Philip Rivers Canton-bound?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargerlipz, Jul 8, 2011.

1. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Blog is here.

I never really liked the idea of judging a QB by his Super Bowl wins. Looking at it objectively, we all know PR is better than Big Ben and Eli. When they won their Super Bowls they all had better all around support and better luck.
    If you were to argue that winning Super Bowls is a good way to gage a QB, I disagree. Reasonably speaking, you cannot justify that Eli and Big Ben are also better than Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Warren Moon & Jim Kelly. That is just flat out wrong.

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Not yet.
    He needs 5 more years of kicking *** before he's there.
    Super Bowls help, but if he keeps up current stats, he'll make it.

But: so what?

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If he retired today I would say no, but going off the premise that he continues doing what he's been doing through his career, I'd say yes.

As for the obvious retort that we'll no doubt see posted 28 times in this thread, obviously the Super Bowl is more important. But the thread is only asking whether or not PR can make it to Canton, so that's not really the topic.

4. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    HOF status goes to players who have risen above most of the rest at their position and performed memorable feats, and that means winning championships...be they Super Bowls or Conference and/oDivision titles. A HOFer is a winner of things...games, championships, records, awards, MVPs, etc.

Rivers is a terrific QB, but toss him into the mix af all-time great QBs...past and present, and he's a ways down the list...at this point in his career. He really does need to win something other than a bunch of games...he needs BIG game wins.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

He's 29, he's got AT LEAST 5 more years left to rack up those stats and win some big games. Like Manning and Brady he's not very mobile, so I can see him playing into his late 30s if he can hold onto his passion for the game.

The point is his trajectory is that of a future HOFr.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Then explain to me why Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, and Warren Moon (just to name a few) are in the Hall of fame.

While you're at it, explain to me why Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, and Jim Plunkett (2 rings) are not in it.

I agree at this point in his career he's way down on the list...but his career is also very young. Aaron Rodgers is also currently way down on the list and "he" has already accomplished that Super Bowl win.

I'd love for Rivers to win a ring...multiple rings actually....but he needs a Super Bowl winning team to do so and, therefore, doesn't absolutely require it to be a "Hall of fame" QB in my eyes by the time his career is over if he keeps performing at the pace he has been. (I won't deny, however, that they would certainly help his chances though. But I'm not really discussing his chances moreso how I'd personally view him)

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    as of now he has 19,661 yards and 136 tds, he's 29, let's give him 5 more years of 4000 yds + 30 tds, that gives him 40,000 yards and 286 tds at age 34, give him maybe 9000 more yards and say, 60 tds as he winds down his career (say 3-4 more years) and the totals are 48,000+ yards and almost 350 tds, those are HOF numbers, hopefully add a ring or two (all with San Diego Chargers of course)

8. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Rivers can make to the HOF. Here's one of my earlier posts comparing Rivers to Fouts at the same point in their careers.
    Check here.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    But...but...."he" hasn't won any Super Bowls!!!!