1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Pre-season a RIPOFF ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070831/news_1s31canepa.html

Ripoff exhibitions sadly here to stay

August 31, 2007

As the Chargers last night trotted out more reserves than the National Guard for their fourth and final meaningless practice game, thoughts turned to Commissioner Roger Goodell. There is some talk going around that the NFL's Marshall Dillon is at least looking into abbreviating the exhibition season.

Talk is all it is. Best of luck, Rog. If your bosses want anything taken away, it's the players union, not dough.

It would seem Goodell has as much chance convincing his 32 owners to slice some prime beef off their cash cow as he does outlawing the forward pass. If you buy a season ticket, you have to pay the same price for a few exhibition games, and, in that the players aren't paid to participate in them, guess where all the money goes?

We're talking many millions of dollars here. And, as the men who run the National Football League so often remind us, it's a business. In this particular case, it's a shameful business, but there's absolutely nothing we – and probably not Goodell – can do about it. Goodell cannot suspend his owners for this kind of legal thievery.

There's no question four exhibitions – in a couple of cases, five – are too many. The League isn't what it used to be. It's a year-round deal now. There are minicamps and OCS (offseason coaching sessions) and players don't have outside jobs. They can't be ordered to participate in some of this stuff, but it's a good idea, especially for the bubble-sitters.

They don't need four or five exhibitions to get football-ready. But the owners, coaches and football men, like the “games,” want them, need them – although exhibitions are terribly frightening.

“Yeah, they scare me, because we can lose people going into the (season) opener with Chicago,” Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said. “I'm scared the first preseason (NFLspeak for exhibition) game. You just hope things work out in your favor.

“I'll be disappointed if injuries happen. But you'll never hear me ***** and moan about it. Next guy, stand up. Nobody in this league feels sorry for you.”

Still, Smith talks as though he'd like to see even more exhibitions.

“It should not be cut, for one reason,” he said. “I love preseason. You must have the preseason to evaluate players. The kids are in a game. The kids are getting a lot of action. This last game (vs. San Francisco), it's the final piece to the puzzle.

“I understand the owners make a lot of money off of them, but we need them for our evaluation. You can get hurt during the preseason. You can get hurt in the first regular-season game. That's why you need a lot of players. To steal a line from Bill Parcells, 'Hold the fort.' ”

Well, can't say I agree, and I'd probably get in an argument with Smith over who first said, “Hold the fort,” Santayana or Churchill. I believe there's plenty of time to evaluate players. And there has to be a better way than ripping off the fans. If nothing else, cut the prices for these things.

I know, I'm dreaming.

Chargers loyalists certainly had a lot to entertain them during last night's thriller. Not only did tailback LaDainian Tomlinson, as usual, wear his civvies, coach Norv Turner also sat quarterback Philip Rivers and tight end Antonio Gates.

A wise decision, to be sure, but it only helps punctuate the argument that too many of these are too much. They aren't needed.

San Diego's roster basically is set. All six draft choices are going to make the team. Only a few spots are open, and when tomorrow's final cutdown to the 53-man roster takes place, and Smith and Turner put together their eight-man practice squad – one which other, talent-deprived clubs are sure to raid – there will be few surprises.

“I don't like saying a roster's locked in stone, but it pretty much is this year,” Smith said. “There are a couple of scenarios Coach is looking into now. Like Marv (Levy) used to say, 'This is close, I hope we keep the right guy.' ”

click on the link for more

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,036
    YES

drop the last pre-season game and make the regular season 17 games long

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Yes for the good teams

No for the teams that are in re-building mode

we've been there

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I agree, but it is still a rip off to charge full bore prices for exhibitions. Even financially stressed theatres reduce prices and even comp dress rehearsals. It's like having to pay full ticket price for watching the outtakes of the Gumball Ralley.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Hell, most guys pay just to have an excuse to tailgate...

I missed both this year, but I usually go for the cool frosties and the chow...

• Like Like x 2
  6. KNSD

KNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    They're gonna get their money somehow. If everybody really wants to nitpick that much, then they should just increase the regular season ticket prices to make up for the decrease in preseason ticket prices.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,036
    First of all, welcome to the board
    Second, regular season prices are high enough as it is.
    Third, you'd make more money from another regular season then increasing the price all around

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,064

true, I didn't really read the article from that aspect. my bad.

I agree, and lower the beer prices!!!

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +3,036
    screw that, just drink with us at the tailgate, get your beer fufillment then

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,064

thats exactly what Frank Zappa did at one his SD concerts back in the day!!!

hung them up on the stage!!!!

some of the girls didn't bother going to the restroom to take them off!!!!

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,064

no shiit!!!

Will rep for plane fare!!!!

:yes: :yes: :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +735
    That was a bad arse movie!! :hilarious:

The cannonball run :tdown: was just a rip off and not even in the same league as far as a comedy goes.

Yeah, they should half the price of the preseason. It is a rip, but then I think you still pay full price for the Baseball exhibition games?

13. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    You want to know the future ?

Cut the preseason to 2 games and add 2 season games

outside U.S. for every team (London, Tokio, Frankfurt,...)

they'll get more money than as with NFLE.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    You are probably spot on with that observation. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,620
    I'm with you on this one. :tup:

Although, having to play the Faiders twice each year is like having two extra exhibition games. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard FORMER Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +1,068
    I always hear people say this, and I'm sure technically they don't. But they are paid a yearly salary, so it doesn't really matter that the players don't get paid for pre-season games, it doesn't reduce the owner's payroll.

If a dude is paid $6 million, then he gets roughly $750,000 per regular season game instead if $600,000 per game if pre-season was included. It still ends up being $6 million. So "the players don't get paid" doesn't really mean anything.

17. getfresh

getfresh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I haven't done the math in a couple years, but if I remember correctly, for season ticket holders it's kind of a wash. Like, if the "face value" on the ticket is (for example) $100 (I know they are cheaper, especially for my LV Row 1 seat), we pay about $800 or maybe $825 for the season, not a grand. We get a slight discount on each ticket so that it ends up being generally a wash.

Since we're good now, maybe they stopped that and I didn't notice; I just kinda pay it because it's a lot either way.

Edit: just went to the website and I'm right. Season for plaza, etc. = $810, face value = $92. So instead of $920 we pay $810 for ten games, as opposed to $736 if it's $92 x 8.

It still sucks, but it's not "full price" for season ticket holders.

18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I agree, but then again the commitment to go in for ten games should be worth a discount of some sort. I know when I buy equipment for my company, there is always breaks (extra 5% with purchase of 5, 7% for ten, etc).

It makes me sick paying for those games, but it's worth it since it means I get the season.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +735
    For plaza it is 12% discount off the full price. (920-810)/920
    View is 18% (790-650)/790, so for View the pre-tix come out free if you look at full price for the regular season.

20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,232
    Good luck in trying to find enough owners to vote on it.

Each and everyone of those guys makes big $$$$$$$ during the preseason. Every Season Ticket holder has bought a ticket for those games, and the owner does not give one dime to any player.

• Like Like x 1
  21. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I consider the cost of preseason tickets to be a kind of licensing fee for the privilege of having season tickets. They are less exciting games then the regular season games but there’s still the camaraderie of other fans, seeing old friends and watching the final squad develop.

You can either pay it and be upset or pay it and be happy.

On the 9th the Q is going to be electric!

• Like Like x 1
  22. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sdbound again.

Call the preseason my PSL. :tdown:

:icon_tease:

23. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Those bozos up in Oakland pay a PSL (2k for field level, atleast it was a couple of years ago) in addition to the preseason games. Of course the preseason games offer them a better chance of actually seeing a Raiders victory. So they've got that going for them.

24. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    It sucks to pay that extra loot for seats in a meaningless game, but whatever

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,787
    took care of it for you.

I enjoy the preseason games for what they are: evalutation games. Plus I have really nice people sitting around me and it's good to spend time just bullshitting with everyone, especially when the games are super boring, like last night. We (me and this cool dude who sits directly in front of my seats) spent the better part of 2 quarter working on our smack talking game, getting our smack ready for the regular season.

There was a pack of 49er fans in front of us who got quite the earful. Best one I heard (from a dude behind meto the 49er fans) in response to one of the 9er fan's tired "How many rings do you have?", he said, "How many wins do you think those trophies are gonna produce this season? How many interceptions are those rings gonna have by week 8?" His response was something like "st least we've won a championship" and then I returned it with "enjoy living in the past because that's all you've got right now".

• Like Like x 1
  26. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Short answer .. something Trumpie is unfamiliar with .. :p .. YES!

27. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    This is my thought exactly, every year I pay for two games that I have NEVER gone to.

28. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Do bears defecate in the forest?

29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +5,095
    Would you all be happy if all preseason games were played at 'non-home' fields like the HOF game is? That might be a good move by the NFL to get excitement into areas that normally do not see a NFL game live.