1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Rivers ready to move on?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    There is more and more information coming out about Rivers not wanting to play in LA.

UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee 11m11 minutes ago
    Basic column where Philip Rivers says he expects to play out contract & Tom Telesco declines to say he won't trade QB http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/mar/17/philip-rivers-extension-la-chargers-acee/…

Marty Caswell @MartyCaswell · 36m36 minutes ago
    Philip Rivers on addition of Orlando Franklin, @StevieJohnson13 , losing Eddie Royal & Chargers overall moves http://www.mighty1090.com/episode/3-17-15-philip-rivers/…

I know it is a business and he is remaining non-committal, do you feel that is PR17 getting ready to move on?

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Not surprised if he is.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I think you're a bigger :poop: stirrer than Kevin Acee. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
  7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Telesco is the GM of an NFL team. Acee is a hoor.
    "Nuff said.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Where is the great task force when you need them? Get it done Falculnor!

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    These types of reports always come out like clockwork whenever a star player is on the last year of his contract.

Sometimes they move on and people claim they proved it while other times it ends up being much ado about nothing.

I'll react to this when he actually resigns or moves on, not when pointless reports that always come out in these scenarios predictably come out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yeah that's pretty much the job description when you sign up to be a sports writer, journalist, radio host, tv personality etc...Speculation, predictions, analysis, opinions is the name of the game.

I guess they could just sit in front of a microphone and read off a stat sheet, but something tells me that wouldn't sell.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    maybe Philip will retire after this season if they move to LA, let's hope that the team and Philip stay put

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Did you hear Rivers interview with Darren Smith? Made me feel uneasy listening to it. This isn't 2009 where we have a loaded team to make Rivers decision easy. TT also had a weird comment about getting your for 2017. I thought it was a slip of the tongue but he repeated it multiple times.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I hope TT seriously gives trading Rivers some thought. This team is hurting and lagging behind it's own division rivals let alone the rest of the NFL. If the right deal can be done, I'm all for it.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Huh?

1363346132_21703032.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    What could we possibly get that makes trading a top 6 QB worth it when having one is so rare?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    I strongly disagree with this sentiment, I want Rivers to retire as a Chargers, if that's in a year or in 5 so be it

• Agree Agree x 8
  18. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Rivers to Tennesee ? It would suck to see him go. He talked about being away from his southern roots. Tennesee is in the south. I guess we would be in complete rebuild mode if he is traded. Crap I hope not.

19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Some teams spend decades looking for a franchise QB, look at the Browns, year after year looking and still will probably trade up this year to get one. If and when Rivers is ready to move on, I certainly feel he would be respectful enough to give a heads up. And /i hope we have the replacement in house when it happens.

Rivers main concern is getting some weapons around him, could also be why Telesco was/is so adament into getting a WR and potentially a high round RB in the mix

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
  21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    http://si.com >> Chargers' Philip Rivers hesitant to sign new contract http://buzztap.com/-90AYD9

One thing that frustrates me is the way PR17 comes off like he doesn't care if he stays or goes... I get it is a business but at least act like you wana be a bolt! Hurumph!

22. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    I think he plays here in 2015 (not traded) but after that I think (hope) that the Chargers stay and so does he, a little less likely would be him retiring and the least likely would be him playing somewhere else in 2016 (he would be franchised).

Having said all that, this uncertainty means that the Chargers have to sign a potential replacement in the top 3 rounds, not Mariota but maybe the guy from Baylor in the second or someone else

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Gotta wonder how guys like Gates and Floyd would react as well. It could get very ugly if Rivers is traded, but somehow I have a feeling it won't happen.

I do however suspect he will consider retirement.

24. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    17 will retire a Charger.. He's getting a long term deal

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm not lambasting a reporter for doing his job, but that doesn't make it any less pointless.

In fact, it's not the reporter's job that's the problem, it's the fact that there's demand for this kind of fluff piece from the fans that is the problem.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I wouldn't care if Rivers flat said he's not re-signing with the team after his contract runs out. A lot can happen between now and when it comes time to actually make a decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Anyway, even if it does happen we shouldn't go all chicken little. Rivers replaced Brees, Indy's doing just fine without Peyton. Stars move all the time.

28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Lets say they did trade Rivers to Tennessee, Would Rivers be alone in the deal or would it be Rivers plus our number 1? If that is the case, Rivers and a 1 for Marriota would be terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    If they traded Rivers to Tennessee, we'd be getting the 2nd pick in the 2nd round and some change... a future 1st if we were sold-our-souls-to-the-Devil lucky; we're not getting #2 overall for 32-year-old Rivers, we're just not. People need to go ahead and just banish that fantasy from their heads.

Rivers, if just allowed to play out his contract and sign elsewhere, yields the top compensatory pick in the 2017 draft (flat out guaranteed unless he suffers some career-threatening injury) - franchise QB's are that rare and teams like Cleveland are that effing desperate as to give him Rodgers money to get his signature.

If this team were to actually go out and draft a Marcus Mariota or Brett Hundley (no other QB prospect in this draft outside of Winston is worth trying to develop into a starter - and yes, the stuff the NFLN are trying to feed the general populace about Sean Mannion is a load of horsecrap similar to them trying to build up Tom Savage last year)., Philip Rivers is worth more as a one-year starter for the rook to sit behind, who then also yields a high comp pick, than he is as a 2015 trade piece which then forces the team to start the not-ready rookie (because, let's be real, Kellen Clemens is bad enough he'll be beat out by a rookie in camp) right out the gate.

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yeah, Dolphins after Marino
    49ers after Steve Young
    Bills after Jim Kelly
    Broncos after Elway
    Titans after McNair
    Rams after Warner
    Browns after Kosar
    The uh...New York Jets.

The point is going decades between franchise QBs is not uncommon at all. Manning for Luck, Favre for Rogers, Rivers for Brees...all very rare occurrences in the grand scheme.

We'll be lucky if we avoid the Alex Smith type place holder. If I were Telesco I'd be pretty worried right now.

• Agree Agree x 1