1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ryan Mathews What We Thought He Was?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by dizzle498, Oct 27, 2010.

1. dizzle498

dizzle498 Bolts lover 4 life

Ratings:
    +10
    Looking back on the 2010 draft, was Ryan Mathews who we thought he was? In hind sight was he the best choice considering our lack of commitment to the run, and pass first and always philosophy?

Tough questions to ask, and even tougher to answer. At first I was a huge proponent of drafting a new running back because I was convinced that LT was done, and that we needed something to change in the backfield. But after watching Norv use Mathews in the first 7 weeks as well as his lack of pass blocking skills, I am wondering if he was the correct choice for our team.

We did have a lot larger holes in our lineup besides running back and we gave up a prime 2nd rounder and a lower level 1st rounder to someone who is contributing about 10 rushes a game, give or take. Rivers certainly isn't benifitting from his contributions. If we were going to use him so sparingly, we should have just stuck with Tolbert and Sproles. We now have more than $12 million of our payroll tied up in our running back position. That is far to much, for such little contribution.

Is his lack of pass blocking skills a product of playing at Fresno State? Were the rumors about him being injury prone legit? Maybe it's to early to say, but as of today, I can say that this has been a bit of a disappointing experience. :mad:

2. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    It was well known that he was injury prone too!

I don't think we can really know for sure yet...he hasn't been played enough to know!!

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Pfft....Hater.

JK Nice post.

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    This is the part of the situation I didn't like. I think we all knew there were holes that needed to be addressed on this team. I was fine with drafting an RB, but didn't like us spending what we did on him. Partly because some thought that he would fall to us at ~25 anyway. Time will tell if this was paying a high price for a stud or paying way too much to force this team into what it is not.

5. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Exactly as i posted before we drafted him. Hope in the future ppl will listen to me. Great topic post! -exactly we already had our 7 million Sproles and great Tolbert rb's. Are we stocking pilling RB's on a "jump ball" passing only team? Oh yea, Norv runs on 2nd down to mix it up lol, that way he thinks he's balanced lol.

Not only does he NOT block well he also doesn't catch well out of the back field. Norv only likes RB's who catch well TBH. Personally i would never draft a RB who dosn't block well. U can teach a rb to catch but blocking is heart and size.

DIZZle is a wise fan! <--1st fan that i have read that everything was 100% right on WOW.

I'd trade RM asap, even if u keep him, other teams will know we running, because he doesn't play on passing downs *tip*. RM is a classic RB from a small school that everyone wonders why they don't get drafted. They run everywhere vs small schools. College u only have to be good at runing or passing. Pro ball u must be successful at both. So many don't understand that in the NFL a RB has to be big enough to block on passing downs and catch screens etc.

I should be the GM, then i could oversee our coaches and make sure we get NFL type players in draft/trades.

If u ever go back read my post u will see how i state lineman are more important than RB's u must have good blocking. Any average NFL level RB will look great with great blocking. I'd stock pile lineman D/O before i'd ever draft a high pick RB. 1/2 the posters here could average at least 3 ypc on the jets team.

6. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Definitely thought they could have drafted him without having to move up....that alone was a waste on him regardless of talent and potential. The injury prone issue has definitely already read it's head....top that off with the fact that he has no real vet to learn from and he is already in a hole.....so, yes, he is who "WE" thought he was....just not who A.J. thought he was.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    This thread is way premature. Mathews requires coaching, thats it. He's having issues with pass blocking, timing in his release as the checkdown, and all of a sudden he's starting to move too quickly not allowing holes to develop. All of these things are HIGHLY TYPICAL rookie RB mistakes, and they are things that get worked out in practice.

What concerns me, is they're not! As much as Norv talks this kid up on a weekly basis, he doesn't seem to be coaching him AT ALL, in fact I'd say his issues have gotten steadily worse.

8. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    I didn't even know Norv coached players on how to play well. Seems like he just schemes his offensive plays up each week and is too close to the field to see whats going on to call the best plays. These newschool head coaches rely on their assistants way too much.

Great points about how the players on our team seem to be not getting coaching on fundamentals. Hard to believe but yea, very few great leaders in this world. Coaches are responsible for players not using 2 hands on the ball at point of contact and how to catch the ball the best way. Little things like making a triangle with your hands low/high balls that so few coaches know about. Much less discipline for failure to watch the ball into your hands before u try and run.

Norv needs to be an assistant coach up in the box.

9. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Shut up Cool Guy. Wait to ruin another good thread.

10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Please stop bolding, underlining, and increasing the size of your font. It is annoying to look at and make me not want to read your post. If your ideas hold merit they will be read. Thanks.

11. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Enormo, I post this style only because I've started that way years ago. This is how ppl know its the real "1 COOL GUY" famous gamer. (My name is copied more than any other video gamer in the world by far.) For u friend I'll regular post :) (Goes back years when clans would war post in forums to get ppl riled up for wolfTV or shoutcasting radio live- go watch some my old championships (or my current ones wic/sc2) if u want to see what organized and speed does for a team :) I had to represent that we were the rea1 deal. I always used "1" for L's. If u ever want computer tips let me know. I can fix your monitor and graphics setting ect like the pro's use.

JohnnyX, all i did was agree 100% with the topic post! Why u upset about me being peaceful and giving praise to the guy with the deep understanding of this team? (I'm old this text type looks COOL like typewriter lol)

12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    This for me too. I was for drafting our first RB in the 2nd or 3rd and even picking up a second like Best or Blount in the late 6 7 or UDFA range. I didnt really see anything spectacular about RM in our system. Nothing that wasnt just as good as 8-10 other injury riddled ? backs. I said before that I dont see one RB of this years class that will have more than 7 productive seasons before forced retirement or washout status.

Only thing RM had goin for him was he was the most LT-like in skills such as cutting and shifting. The days of Preist, LT, and Jackson as solo backs is almost completely phased out.

While were on the subject of backs, is Sproles what we paid he was?

13. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Good point Thunderhorse17, Sproles, the way we use him is bad. He doesn't even try return every kick anymore like he used to. Every team knows when he comes onto the field he will get the ball some how and they use 2 LB's on him. He was a gimmick for awhile which is all played out now in my opinion. I'd maybe trade him too personally. I only like RB's that can block and can be in on every down as u said.

If i was coaching the bolts from here forward. I would instruct him to return every kick back no matter what unless the ball is inside the 5 yd line. Then I'd at least keep what-ever RB we using for a whole series (for many dif reason's like simpler also for no huddle or fast offense series) to not be so predictable etc. I feel he has good speed and if we used him on shuffle passes and wide pitch runs he could be greater. If these plays worked out then I'd keep him as long as his speed and ability to return kicks was working. If he is scared to play hard and take hits then he would be gone, otherwise loved.

IF u read my past post's you'll see I was the one saying LT wasn't worse he just was on a losing running system under Norv. I was the one who said he needed to take dark visor off, what do u know? He took it off when the JETS signed him hmmm. I also said he was getting stuck in the middle of the los because PR slow feet got him the ball too close to the middle and slow not deep enough hand-off's. (anyone love football enough to notice how hard Jets Sanchez works on getting the ball deep and early to his RB's...) All great RB's want to get the ball early so they can gain speed (They cannot excellerate untill they get the ball they have to float till then) and space to dodge ppl easier. Hope some of u go back 2 years and read my post you would be surprised what i say is true to this day. Kinda trippy, seems like the JETS read my posts hmmm. They took Cro also who i loved his speed in my post's and I said he would do well in a real D scheme where he gets to bump and run 1on1.

Wonder if ppl read a 13x world champs posts from other teams....

14. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Wow your best post by far. That is until you ruined it with the rest.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Side note.....we were stupid for passing on Blount. The guy is a beast for Tampa right now, and I'd love to have him as our short yardage back over Tolbert.

16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well dunno I beleive Blount was the Puncher. In addition to prior injuries. RM was the only back you could really consider a every down type back. Imo all the rest were switchbacks for the now pretty prevailant multiple back attack. And it is lookin like RM has yet to blossom into that solo role. Which he wont ever be in SD since we are a multi back team already for years now.

I dont think im dissapointed in RM yet regardless of where he was drafted/over other team needs year after year that were passed. I just never had high hopes for any of the RBs commin out. RM can still surprise me, but thats gonna require at least 7 seasons averaging 1k a year. Could be 1k rushing and receiving. But like I have said I dont see that happening for any of the RBs from this years class.

17. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Video game boy Moron, you are the biggest tool on the planet. News flash, no one cares that you play video games and are good at it. Its like someone saying they can really build neat things with Lego's. Last time I checked LEGO's and Video games have zero to do with football. Your post are retarded, simple, obvious and boring. Your need for attention and constant boasting about yourself is a first class sign of insecurity. Keep telling yourself how good you are buddy, Someone has to. Please Stop ruining a good thing. Can you do that for me Pac Man?

18. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    It isn't Mathews fault. He isn't being productive because he isn't being allowed to be. When he's gotten the ball, he has averaged 4.7 yards per carry this season, which is great considering our o-line isn't terrific at run blocking. Norv just isn't calling the plays correctly, plus RM hasn't gotten practice time because of the ankle injury. He'd get the ball more if we didn't fall behind early in games and were forced to pass all the time. Be that as it may, he still needs improvement in pass blocking but that will come with time.
    Just watch, as soon as he gets more practice time and more touches and becomes super productive nobody will question his legitimacy

19. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    1ronic eh? I post about how much i have accomplished in video gaming as the most dominate stratigic gamer ever ($ won and #1 world titles), yet the Chargers have won div titles 4 years in a row? See a connection? I'm trying to make a point...both are true facts yet? The Bolts are too prideful to take advice from a professional tactician or make changes right? Even the 1st place Jets read my posts humbly yet confidently knowing who to listen to and discernment...Even #1 Oregon uses my speed offense now...I would be much more well liked if i didn't use my past success to dwell on right? Read my post with championship/positive music on it helps. All my teams always did this before matches helps loosen them up to focus on the strategies. I always say talk trash ONLY if u can back it up. So if u have won titles and such good job! If u have never won championships then better to study those who have.

If u ever hear me out completely it all makes sense. 1st acknowledge your weakness, then study work hard to become #1 Chargers! I offer to help simply. It's awsoem that so many fns have blind faith in the Bolts organization. I have studied us and we need vast improvements TBH.

20. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    So let me get this straight... You're comparing succeeding at a video game to succeeding at coaching an NFL team and you think you're the answer to our woes? :icon_rofl:

21. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Well TBH yes I would be the best answer by far. <--Truth B.I.O.N.

#1 I'm simple fix. U wouldn't need to fire anyone.
    #2 I have a gift of being able to see things clearly and how to fix and improve things from a fresh view.
    #3 I could oversee every single detail. Down to what is being taught or lack of that needs to be addressed.
    #4 Since historically i have never gotten worse than 1 in 5 dif strategy games and sports this should at the min give it a chance.
    #5 Who else? really? I tripped out o this in gaming for years, why isn't there others out there who really are amazing? U have coaches who run good o then suxs D vice versa. Won my 1st chess championship in Hs. I was like wow, everyone is using known openings and such. LOL, I still laugh to this day i have 2-3 opening in Chess that still work today. Why I don't post them in public and i intentionally use dif ones just so they don't know which ones are the best and so on. I'm willing to play chess a game most know so u wont just say im #1 in speed video strategy games only. I'll give u 5 min moves me 30 sec live. This will prove a huge point. That using known stuff is a huge disability especially predictability.

I don't see other great coaches out there TBH. You got ones who run only good O or D. I could bring both of ours to #1 not lame retarded yards stats. Real stats points scored/allowed. BBL listening to music and reflecting on what if. What if I did revolutionize football like i did video gaming to a higher level of speed, discipline, organization and advanced strategies /formations never seen before that would give us a huge edge in gaming!

22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    You should deffinatly keep winning that BIG $$ as a gamer. Far as a NFL HC, you wouldnt even last as long as Zorn. And by the sound of your prior posts you are a BIG BurgerKing mantra kinda guy and would be more like a Zorn or Josh McDonalds.

TBH I could see you as a decent fan with a slightly warped opinion of things. BUT you need to stop with the whole *hey guys I should HC/GM the Chargers whadaysay?* crap.

23. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    What is so cool is this: When i started gaming everyone said your new idea's will never work LOL, just because your #1 in a sport like i was, why do u think u can become #1 in video gaming vs the worlds best millions? 12 years laters winning #1 every single world title multiple times 5 dif games later all the biggest of there times...So yea I'm confident. Each time most laughed or thought the same old same old. They love to say u aren't going to become #1 in this totally dif new game u never played before yet? My last game sc2 the newest biggest game out i broke my own record 2 weeks to #1 all leagues lol. So how can i not believe my ideas work better? I'm 100% sure I could get our team SB's with better stuff all the way around. Unless everyone got hurt and the GM wouldn't let me draft/cut/sign my type of players.

U would be so exc1ted to see any team i coached/led. So organized so advanced and each week we would look so different. Same pattern as all my championship teams have looked like, bounce with me will ya hehe. After week one every team would fear to play us.

What amazes me the most is i found out that almost all sports/games those in charge *think* winning is only about the players. Just read the Chargers.com forums 95% ppl post about players lol, yet PATS take new players and win titles. Besides Brady who on the PATS have any chance at the pro bowl? Yet, Chargers used to have like 11 probowlers. So few realize even Michael Jordan only won with Phil Jackson's -invented revolutionary "triangle offense". To this day what other basketball team copies Phils offense? So few see/understand. I would say all my championships in team events only 1/2 the time we had the best players. We did however have by far the most adv organized/prepared teams. It's crazy i thought i'd never get #13 vs all these youngsters. Just lame i live SoCal and cannot help our football team to #1 =(.

Oh yea Ryan Mathews is interesting to see how the fans feel about when he looks average on this teams scheme..

24. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Thunder17, um those 2 coaches were assistants promoted. I have always led, never assisted. Even the one year i coached football I got lucky and started as head coach (Unbeaten & my WarHammer D was so dominate we couldn't even practice vs it during the week, the parents and other staff were concerned- My no huddle offense worked well :), if 2nd year would have been unstoppable TBH)) since my friend new my history mvp player back in the day. In fact I didn't even let the players/coaches know what i called my schems so they couldn't steal it.So my success has been real and revolutionized gaming to this day all clans/teams copy my strats in the games i dominated *tip*. Don't worry ironically the Chargers are too prideful to hire someone like me to led them to the promised land. Few are born to led and are worthy of it. Most want to led and are unqualified.

A real leader looks his followers/teammates in the eye's and says' I will give u my all and will give u the best tactical adv in this game based on top secret studies and testing. Now u be on time and let me know what i can do to enable u to be the best at it while winning titles. This is what i said to my teams i led. Do u feel the Chargers do anything at all better or different than any other team in the NFL? (Besides jumpball offense which works until u get into the redzone and then safeties lock that stuff down =/) -essentially gaining #1 yards but low points= loses-

Didn't Jets REX say he would bring them to glory with overconfidence? (Maybe he knew he had the best D in the NFL in his mind from his daddy) In year 1 already won 1 playoff game over us. Yr #2 his team has the best record in the NFL do u guys hate ppl with confidence or? Hopefully at some point those who say they can do it probably can. If Rex had an offensive cord like me they would have been unbeaten this yr.

25. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    But am Better than you Cool Guy. I just started making my OWN strats and I figured out that the ones I make are WAY better than yours. You better watch out cause am aiming for the #1 spot(Which is presumable held by you.) Soon I will be #1 and you will be a has been.

26. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Not really looking like it at the moment, but not even half a season is way too early to draw a conclusion.

27. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    JohnnyX hehe, I'll give u a huge tip: Learn how to multi task and be very, very fast. Split your armies in 1/2 u figure out the rest...(Learn how to hide outside base then go in sc2 tip) Set your monitor to min. 85 refresh rate. If u have chezzy lcd at 60 u screwed =(, bad for your eye's you'll get tired 1-2 hours. Mine is min 120 hz. When i won AA my fps was 245 average with hp special crt.

28. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Was that suppose to intimate me? Please am not a rookie. I know all the freebie tips. Heck I make the freebie tips. Heres one Don't challenge me cause your gonna lose...........BAD.

29. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Fear is good. The fear of losing will cause 1 to study there opponents and practice hard. I honestly always study everyone's tendencies as #1 concept. Then find there weakness. Then faster and always willing to change strat at any point to counter reality. Who-ever counters the fastest and constantly usually wins. So unless u top 10 in the world u honestly won't last 8 min. So work hard watch my replays and practice, practice. What race are u best at? U can play me sc2 or wic I'm #1 at both currently hard to believe but yea. This is why I think i would be a great asset to the Bolts. If out of millions and i've won both fps & rts 2x min each dif games yet no-one else really challenges me imagine how few coaches pool is of talent =/.

I look at all the teams in the NFL and am so surprised. Almost none of them have really complete games o/d. Most only good at one or the other it perplexes me. Not only do they fail to understand offense, they don't even call the right plays more than 75% the time. Yet they have 30 sec to call plays, much less script plays or call to set D's counters. Yet the math is plain as day that no huddle spread is by far statically proven the best system to score....Imagine that plus way better stuff i don't like to disclose in public. Oregon finally listen to me on there #1 O.

I've only seen 1 D cord who understands D to my level. That's Clev's Mangini, yet he fails to use multiple formations added to what genius he does understand. Much less he doesn't know my WarHammer start or how to control DB's WR's to my level.

30. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    If you took over instead of Norv in 2007. How many SB's do you think you would have one us? Just a Hypothetical question.

Edit: Seems like your advice was loved in this thread.
    http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=77640