1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Sproles a goner?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thunderstruck, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Do some roster math and you'll see that while there are some positions available on this roster they are few and far between--especially on offense. Not only were we pretty well set at the end of last year, we've added three rookies on offense, Davis, Chandler, and Naanee, each of whom presumably has an inside track to a roster-spot. Naanee's role will be particularly interesting, since he's being looked at as a hybrid player... part tight-end, part WR, part fullback. Will he take the spot of one of the receivers? We will already have three-tight ends. Or might he steal a roster spot from a certain diminutive running-back?

We also have guys like Tyrone Gross and Germaine Race battling for spots, both of whom appear, at least physically, to fit more into the role of every-down back than Darren Sproles.

So my question is this: Could Sproles be the odd-man-out?

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    He may be. He seems to have the speed to be a good returner, but has a straight ahead running style that will not get him far IMO.

He had a good return average when he played. But when doing the roster math, they may look at opening another RB spot and letting him go.

Good question ThunderStruck.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I think they'll keep him around for the preseason games, and make a determination after the first two.

4. rapscallion

rapscallion BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Norv has a statement in the latest article on Chargers.com about him being dangerous in open space, so they will definitely will be considering what to do with him. But I think you're right in that the pre-season games and how well he catches punts with guys flying at him will determine his fate.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    who's Bradley? or did you mean Chandler?

BTW, I think Sproles will not make the team

6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    See that's what happens when you smoke a lot of pot and drop a lot of acid in high-school and college...

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Bradley's our new DB coach. :lol:

8. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Let him increase his stock in the preseason to get noticed, then let him go to a team that can really use him. He's a quality player, no doubt, but the stable has too many horses to keep him around.

His injuries and lack of production have made him expendable.

Oldie Out

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So? What is you excuse then? :mellow:

10. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I blame Trumpy.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    and he'll blame "el pinche gringo" :icon_tease:

12. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Yes, I haven't heard anything but positive statements on his performance thus far.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yes. He's worthless IMO.

14. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    He and Osgood may be goners.

15. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Too bad about Osgood. He just never shone...

16. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I think he makes the team, he has the potential to be an asset in more than one aspect of the game.

How many Rbs are on the squad now anyway? LT, Turner, Sproles...

After that there is Tyrone Gross, Germaine Race, Reggie Merriwether and Eldra Buckley.

Any of those guys gonna take Sproles' spot?

17. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Why does everyone use injuries against Sproles? He's had one injury that could have happened to anybody, he's not stephen alexander or even sammy davis that had to sit out a few plays every single game

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    My bet is yes he is. Like you said, with all the rookies and capable backs, the little guy could be the odd man out. He's quick as a waterbug, but just goes down too easily when hit since he's so small. I love the guy myself being a small dude, but I just don't think he's going to be that 3rd RB unless he has a spectacular camp. He could be a returner, but Davis, Cro and others seem to be very capable return guys. I say he will be cut, sad to say.

BTW, I still can't forget him fumbling that kickoff return when we were upset at home by the Dolphins 3 years ago. Never forgave him for that. :no:

19. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    The micro-unit is one bobbled punt in a preseason game away from meeting the Turk.

There is only one thing that can derail this squad and that is turnovers. (See playoff loss) Anyone who shows a propensity to make them should be jettisoned immediately.

Osgood makes the squad despite not meeting this criteria as he won't be allowed to touch the ball on offense.

20. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Germaine Race, Reggie Merriwether and Eldra Buckley.

Those guys are gone. Maybe Germaine on the PC if he is still eligible. We don't need Gross and Germaine since they are similar backs.

If Sproles can show that he can make catches and go some yards then he will make it. Hell in preseason if he gets a TD its almost guaranteed.

21. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Sproles only value is as a returner, and I use the word value extremely loosely.

He is one of the worst punt returners in the history of mankind. You need not look any further than the debacle in Philly a few years ago to see him completely botch that game with his "skills". He was so bad that the following week Eric Parker took the job.

This year, I think that Craig Davis fills that role quite nicely. If not, it will be Parker. The thought of seeing Sproles back there ever again makes me ill.

While I liked him ok as a kickoff returner, Michael Turner is better. Let Cro take that job in a pinch.

Sproles time here is done barring an injury.

22. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't see how Sproles can survive the numbers game.

23. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    coudda, SHOUDDA got CANTY!!!!:icon_evil:

24. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Good points. I would HOPE that Sproles doesn't make the team.

As many have said, returning punts isn’t a viable option for the dude. And regarding Sproles adding something to the offense: I'd much rather try to get Michael Turner more touches instead of having Sproles run his little screen patterns. No contest.

And cutting Sproles doesn’t effect our RB depth in the slightest. Because if LT and MT both go down, Sproles wouldn’t be able to carry the load anyways.

25. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    How many running backs did we roll with last year?

Hmm...

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    It looks like I'm not alone when I say I wouldn't miss him.

He's to small, he can't catch the damn ball, and he gets injured to easily

three words for the Sprolester

AFL

:yes:

27. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Could be...it wouldnt surprise me but it also wouldnt surprise me to see Osgood get cut altho most everybody here would disagree.

28. Boltbaby

Boltbaby BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    In that same article thought Norm made it a point to say how good Craig Davis was a catching the ball and what great hands he has. Hmmm.

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    There is a lot of NFL teams out there licking their chops and waiting for AJ's scraps to hit the butchers floor. Just a few short years ago we were all wishing for more talent in camp, now we have an over abundance and no where to hide them all. Just how many guys can get a mysterious TC injury and be out for the year?

Oh by the way, I don't think Sproles makes the cut. Good guy and all but damn he's got an uphill battle in front of him to stick. Like I said though, there are plenty teams, with an eye cast out to the southwest and waiting for the meat to hit the floor.:bolt: