1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Chargers defence too Vanilla?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by scratchnz, Oct 5, 2015.

1. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Is it just me or does our defensive scheme seem too vanilla? Sometimes it looks like they are still playing in a preseason game!

There never seems to be any creative blitzing or even disguising of the coverages. We seem to be getting close to the opposing QB on individual talent or opp mistakes alone!

I wish Pagano would dial it up a bit or maybe he just isn't capable. What do others think?

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    I agree and I think Pagano isn't as good of DC as some seem to think. It also isn't fair to believe that the likes of Reyes, Lessimore, Guy or Matthews are enough to have an imposing line.

If I were the DC, I'd wait until Flowers and Verrett are back and see if I can't incorporate some corner blitz.

All in all if your front four can't rush and get pressure you aren't going to be a "great" defense.

3. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    The front seven SUCK! - There I said it.

Many of these guys are playing so poorly, I find it hard to believe that the backups couldn't do as well and add some pop and energy, especially with the injuries in the DB.

The DL, as a group, and mostly as individuals they are playing at below average performance levels. Liuget is the only one playing at average to above average. Name one player that would even be in a Homer's discussion for the Pro Bowl - not even Luiget breaks into the discussion. On the DL we made one feeble effort to improve with the drafting of Philon. The coaches and GM apparently continue to believe that Lissimore and Reyes are effective. I have no clue what they are using to measure performance.

In the LB group, we all thought they had turned a corner after the Detroit game - Hail to Coach Nolan!! Well, so much for that. Even with four sacks, the lowly Browns shredded our LBs and DL. I can hardly wait till we try to contain Vick and Bell next week, but I would expect to see another day of Te'o grabbing air, getting stiff armed, and making 13 tackles somewhere downfield where the chains will be moved to.

4. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I can't say that the entire front 7 suck. I believe we aren't using these player in a way that brings out there best game. First, we do not have the personnel to play a 3-4. We haven't had a great nose tackle since Jamal Williams. Teo is too slow to cover anyone coming out of the back field! Plus the guy is really bad at tackling. When our front three don't eat up blockers the line backers get wacked by 300 lb. lineman. Get rid of Pagano and change to a 4-3. Too late to do it this year but what the hell!

5. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Well in all fairness, in the limited snaps I recall seeing Carrethers in the game, it seems we tend to make more plays. He is also the closest one on the team to resemble anything of what a NT should look like. No idea what is with the belief in Lissemore. I dont have stats to back up that comment as the time, but it does at least feel that the D plays more effectively that I recognize him in the game.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    The whole team is too vanilla starting with the head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I don't know if it means anything, but he was in line at the deli today, ordering his usual turkey on white, with swiss cheese and mayo only...

• Like Like x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    FRENCH Vanilla, as soon as the ball is snapped they're looking for places to hide.

9. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    They are not vanilla...vanilla has more flavor!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Your eyes must be going bad. That wasn't McCoy. He was actually at JCPenny, getting fitted for turtle necks.

11. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    They need to use Attaouchu more! Get him going on some stunts or overloading one side of the line or SOMETHING!!

12. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Attouchu and Ingram lining up on the same side with Kyle on the other would be nice on some 3rd downs....

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Maybe Pagano should be replaced by Mike Nolan as DC. I have to think at this stage that Nolan would provide more creative blitzing from the LB spot than Pagano!

14. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Vanilla would run 28 to the outside every once in a while

15. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Now that we got Brown back....vanilla with sprinkles?

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Great point; Vanilla gets a bad rap when it's a very powerful flavor

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So we are now asking:
    "Is the D cinnamon caramel salted macchiato, tipple venti"?

18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    New Member Introduction
    NAME: Mike McCoy
    WHERE WERE YOU BORN: White Plains, NY (During a rare snowstorm on April 1st)
    WHERE DO YOU RESIDE: San Diego
    MARRIED: Mostly
    FAVORITE VACATION SPOT: White Sands, New Mexico (It's so white, so white!)
    WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE EX CHARGER: Marty Schottenheimer
    WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE CURRENT CHARGER: Donald Brown
    WHERE HAVE YOU SEEN THE CHARGERS PLAY IN PERSON: Qualcomm Stadium (I think)
    WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CHARGER MOMENT: You know, that game, last year, Chargers wore white, played some team, Chargers won.
    WHAT IS YOUR WORST CHARGER MOMENT: Losing close games because I forgot to bring my lucky watch and couldn't keep track of time. Or that time I wasted a whole bottle of Wite-Out scratching active players from the roster.
    WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE BASEBALL TEAM: The White Sox
    FAVORITE FOOD: Whitecastle Burgers, extra cheese of course! Oh, and marshmallows too!
    FAVORITE ROCK BAND: The White Stripes
    FAVORITE SONG: Nights In White Satin
    OTHER COMMENTS: I like watching people doing whitewater rafting, and helping my wife doing the laundry. (I am in charge of doing the tidy whities...)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  19. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Give the Chargers Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, Bradley Roby, etc. and then we can
    decide whether we still need Phillips. I personally like Wade, but good rosters make coaches look good.

21. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    "
    I remember back in 2006 when we had a good D, with the exception of our so-so secondary, Wade Phillips used to give many of us fits of angst when he used to turn to the dreaded prevent D. Yes, the same Wade Phillips although admittedly we went downhill right after he left and AJ gave the defensive reigns to Ted ":poop:" Cottrel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. chahjah

chahjah BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +134
    Any thoughts about Ratliff?

23. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I don't remember Phillips every implementing "Prevent" on a regular basis???? Now COTTRELL...his scheme was based around "Prevent"!!!!

24. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I think you're forgetting someone....

[​IMG]

25. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I remember things differently during that magical 14-2 season when we were leading in many games!

26. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    But is his D in Indy any worse than the Chargers?!