1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Chargers window closing?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think the window metaphor is way over used, and probably little understood.

Based on over 20 years of following the Chargers and NFL in general, I have come to the conclusion that it is the front office people, scouts and drafters that have far more impact on when the window is open or closed than the players on the field.

Why? Simple, each year teams lose players. Teams have players injured, teams cut players, or players want more money and bid themselves out of the teams plan. So then there is something called the draft, and free agency. A good staff of player scouts can overcome and help the team improve even when losing a good player.

Look at Denver when they were making runs at the SB while losing star running backs. They kept on making it happen. Partially because of scheme, but also because they had good players behind the stars.

Indy got rid of Marshall Faulk and kept on hitting on all cylinders with Edge.

So yearly our window moves up and down. Is there anyone that does not think the team is better than it was just 4 years ago? Our secondary is arguably better, Lt and Sproles looks to have the RB position well in hand. Rivers is hitting on all cylinders… This is because the front office is not waiting for the window to close.

They are actively propping it back open. Our window could be open for another 10 years. Even if it closes momentarily, we will just smash it out…

Be’lee dat!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Pure optimism Conc :lol: I think that as long as AJ is careful not to overpay or extend contracts to undeserving players and draft wisely...they can keep the window at least ajar. I've mentioned this before..the one area where AJ could improve would be to maximize his loses. Getting 3rd, 4th or 5th round comp picks for pro bowlers just doesn't cut it. Look at how the Eagles run their ship. They've been very competative for at least a decade in a very tough division. Look at thier roster NOW! They're primed for another strong run having cut their loses with Dawkins, Tre Thomas, Lito Sheppard, LJ Smith, Buckhalter, etc, while replacing them with younger, more productive players. I guarantee they'll get something for Sheldon Brown too if they deem him too disruptive to their chemistry due to his contract dispute, an extension that he signed by the way.

AJ needs to get something in return for the potential players he may lose and not just middle round comp picks. If for example Shawne Merriman has a huge comback year and AJ feels he can't dole out the bucks to keep him..then manufacture a trade. Philly gave up a 1st and a 5th for Jason Peters, Dallas gave up a 1st, 3rd and 5th for Roy Williams. Shawne or another Charger free agent with obvious value should reap more than a comp pick :icon_shrug:

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Right now, at this moment this is my priority list for re-signing:

1 - PR
    2 - Gates
    3 - Merriman
    4 - VJ/Sproles

I think letting Merriman or Gates go would be a HUGE mistake. VJ and Sproles I love but, I dont think we would be as negatively impacted without them in comparison to a Merriman, Gates or PR.

Maybe there will be an uncapped year and the Spanos family will just throw **** tons o cash at everybody so we can keep 'em? Not sure if that's even possible but - I can dream of re-signing them all right? :D

• Like Like x 2
  5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think the only way it closes is when the front office makes a blunder move (cryin ryan), or does poorly in the draft (Lions).

Like Conc said....

:tup:

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Lets keep in mind that you don't need to be the "most talented team" to win a SB. **** the Manning won his first SB when the Colts weren't haven't the greatest of years, but somehow their defense became hot in the playoffs. The Steelers weren't that great when Ben one his first SB either.

So I don't really believe in a window closing, maybe it'll close on us being consider the most talented but that doesn't really matter anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Yeah, we're done. It's our coach.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Et tu Hexay? Et tu?

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    If we resign Rivers and McNeil nothing closes.

10. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205

I Agree With This Post...

:cool:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    If the window closes, throw a ****ing brick thru it. Oh look, it's open again.

I agree Conc, WAY overused term is way overused.

12. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I agree with one and two; those two combine for so much of the offensive production there is no way to justify either being gone.

As far as Merriman I think the signs are all that he will move on; I would love for him to stay in SD but it will be soo very expensive.

As far as Sprolesy I really think he is undervalued; he is a freaking game changer. With all he can do running the ball and in the screen game along with the kick *** production on special teams he is a keeper.

VJ is good; but if he gets to pricey show him the door. He won't be missed that much especially if we bring in a vet that can still produce to replace him.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Totally agree about Sproles - If I had my way, I'd keep him BUT after seeing what our D looked like w/out Merriman last year I felt like he was just that little bit more necessary to keep us balanced. Who knows, maybe English will be the perfect replacement :icon_shrug: but until then, LightsOut is worth the $$ imo. Ideally, we'd keep 'em all :D cause it will be a sad sad day should any of them go.

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    As long as you have a defense... you have an open window.

Otherwise, well... we have already lived the "otherwise". :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
  16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Florida State University? :icon_huh:

17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    f--- s--- up

18. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    The window is definitely closing for LT. We should have at LEAST won one SB in the past 3 years.

I honestly don't see why we won't win it all this year. I think the players realize what they have "pissed" away over the past 2 seasons, and perhaps 3 seasons (damn you Marlon McCree :icon_evil:)

Back to back SB victories in '09, and '10, and LT retires a SB champ. That would be cool.

(Oh, and then maybe those POS media queers will finally give PR the respect he deserves among ELITE QB's.)

• Like Like x 1
  19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Ooooops, sorry I should have :icon_rofl: My fault.:unsure:

20. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Sproles isn't going to fetch even Michael Turner money, he should be very re-signable.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not sure what Sproles and his agent are thinking. He may get some money, his burst in open field is one of the best out there right now. But he wont be breaking a lot of tackles.

He may get money, but i am not sure he will ever be a featured back.

22. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I think you are getting at the core of the way some of the better managers and coaches think of the window.

In a game where the media, the fans and even the players frame everything in terms of black and white, GMs like AJ (IMHO) look at the window in terms of probability. They know that football is a complex game that hinges on many factors; coaches, offense, defense, luck, schedule, injuries, officiating, rules changes, weather, match-ups and the list goes on. Some of them are within the teams control but many are not. So, even though a team may not have the best personnel there still is a probability for a championship based on all the other factors aligning in their favor. Even for the worst teams in the league there is a probability that they can win he whole thing, albeit a relatively low probability.

The clubs that operate on this philosophy want to maximize what they have direct control over for a long period of time. This provides an opportunity for what they don't have control over to fall into place. So while the probability of a Lombardi in a single year might be lower because a team didn't sell out to bring in T.O., Randy Moss, or some other big dollar name, the probability over multiple years is dramatically increases due a greater opportunity for a team’s talent to align with all the non-controllable factors.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Invest in crowbars.

24. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    While PR isn't getting the respect he deserves, it's been a lot better this off-season than last. At least now they're putting in the conversation of top young QBs, when before they looked at him like he was Leaf 2.0. Man how a year can change a lot of things, if PR wins the SB this year I think he'll finally be put in that Elite category.

25. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Ohhh!!! Got it bigmike. You know I'm getting slow in my old age. Hell I do hope the D FSU bigtime!!!:yes:

26. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    To read what some Bolt fans say, that window is now bricked in. You do know who our HC is right??????

• Like Like x 1
  27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The big question is "how much of our team will we be able to keep?"

Rivers, Merriman, Jackson, Cromartie, Sproles, etc... are they more interested in being the highest paid players or do they want to stay here (as long as they aren't low balled).

IMO, it would be a very good idea to get Rivers signed now. Tell him there will be a bonus for him for each Super Bowl he wins.
    Tell Merriman to get out there and earn his contract this season. Same with the rest!!!

BOTTOM LINE... WIN A F***ING SUPER BOWL!!!

28. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    In this era of go where the money is the window is getting smaller but not closed. I hope we can win the SB this year but I too have a question mark about "Norv". Have never been a fan of his. Our biggest stumbling block this year will be NE.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Welcome to the forum.

30. ChargersHooligan_22

ChargersHooligan_22 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    for sure individual players windows are closing . . .
    like LT's. id like to see him get a true shot at taking our club to the superbowl as a feature back.

the future history of the league needs a guy like LT to be a champion at some point during his career.

:bow:

a strong , healthy supporting caste will do it for him this year...
    afc is getting weaker. well lay a beat down if we assure ourselves a playoff birth:beat:

:flag::abq2:

• Like Like x 1