1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there anybody who still wants Norv here?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Dec 26, 2010.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I really don't want to pile on but I'm curious if there are still any defenders.

I know RIP and BFISA have been his biggest defenders.

Any rate, I'd really like to hear a compelling argument to keep him if one even exists.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :lol: this should be fun

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Is this a joke? Even his mother wants him fired! :p

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    AJ and Dean still want him here, which is why we are stuck with him

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I like norv as our o-coach. But the team has to get tougher. I'm all for making rivera head coach. But I hope norv stays on as o-coach. Plus were gonna be hurt bad if we loose Rivera. Don't know why he's not a head coach now. The guy is good.

Maybe in this nfl you do need two head coaches to bounce things off of each other. It worked for the 85 bears.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Because he isn't that good. I don't want Norv here in any role, I don't want Rivera fired or promoted, But I would lose any sleep if he gets a new job. I personally think the whole coaching staff needs to start from scratch

7. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Nope.

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I think this team needs a fresh coaching staff, but since Spanos will not fire him I'm resigned to seeing him again next year

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    As my best friend put it, Marty was given another year after his 9-7 season, Norv will likely be too; however, I can see Norv being put on a short leash - particularly since by the start of next season (yes, there will at least be some semblance of a season in 2011 because if the owners lockout then the union will decertify and that essentially will buy another season to iron out of a new CBA if one isn't in place... though realistically I still think the union's going to cave during the 11th hour because not enough of its constituency have had the discipline to not be living something very close to paycheck-to-paycheck even at the salaries they're making) this FO may be answering to a new majority owner. Depending on when the bye week is set, I'd say the benchmark is set to be above .500 by either Week 5 or 6 or else it's hit the dusty trail, Senor Norval.

Fact is, Spanos is very likely selling his shares, but he's not going to shell out his cash to buyout Norv's newly-had extension; he'll leave that to the new majority owner to fork over that check. So as long as Spanos is here, Norv is here, and it's purely financial.

Though yes, I agree. I'd like to see a fresh staff in here with perhaps Charlie Joyner maintained and that's about it. I kept hoping that Chicago would have a coaching turnover so that we could poach Gil Byrd and bring him home as a DB's coach.

If we did a full house-cleaning, which new ownership could well do if AJ doesn't go into serious buttkisser mode (and we all know AJ won't do that), I'd really favor an Eric DeCosta/Marvin Lewis tandem. Marvin got hosed something fierce in Cincy because Mike Brown drive the personnel bus there and Marvin has "input" but ultimately no decision making power whatsoever (right down to who his assistants were; Bob Bratkowski and Paul Alexander are both subpar at their jobs, but they're Brown's "boys" so Marvin can do nothing about it). DeCosta is Ozzie Newsome's protege and has familiarity both with Lewis and with the players that fit the style of football Lewis would prever to run.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are 100% correct. That is why the sooner we get a new owner, the better off we will be

11. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Just a dismal season. 4 years under the AJ/Norv tandem has us going badly in reverse, most owners would clean house after this self destruction. But not Deano. All accountability will be placed on players. As a fan I'm simply disgusted with the inconsistency under Turner, virtually year after year, the slow starts, the unimaginative offenses, the constant delay of games. And I'm exhausted with Smith's mediocre drafts, refusal to use free agency past the bargain bin level, and frankly his huge error in judgement in hiring Turner.

Gonna take awhile to get this season out my system, it's right there with the uncderachieving playoff losses Norv has overseen.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  13. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Ant is the official thread killer with the simple anwser....NO!

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Righto Martyballers...lets fire up the ol `bring back Marty` banners and in the worlds of Russell Crowe.."Unleash Hell" hahaha lol

15. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    ^

:D

16. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I agree

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I'm not on the "Fire Norv" bandwagon, but I think after this disappointing season, someones head needs to roll. If that ends up being Norv, so be it, but I do not relish the thought of starting over from scratch and the requisite 2-4 years of "rebuilding" that comes along with it.

18. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

Gruden took TB to a Lombardi his 1st year. Tomlin did the same in Pitt I believe. A coaching change does not necessarily mean years of setbacks.

19. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Agreed, but for every one of those, there are a dozen that flounder while rebuilding.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is also because most coaching changes happen to 3-4 win teams that need to rebuild. Chargers don't need to rebuild, they have the talent in place. They just need better leadership

21. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,726
    Norv in the organization is like a bad marriage. Yeah, on the one hand you can't stand him and want to get rid of him, but he does bring in the money... If anyone on this site can personally guarantee that the next coach will be better and that they will bring him in, then go ahead and do it. (I don't think that any of you can.) Now, if team Spanos plus whomever can commit to this team and this town and personally bring in the coach who they think can do the job, then I will listen.

Pointy

22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    If he stays, they better figure out a way to come out guns a blazing and stop sleep walking through games. If I see that one more year I'm gonna blow a gasket.

but, it probably doesn't matter anyways, AJ isn't going to sign any long term contracts if there is a work stoppage looming

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    the snow storm that came through North Carolina caused me to miss the game and any news of it until late last night. In fact the internet was down up to about an hour ago. Guess I really didn't miss much and can't even guess what all went wrong other than the normal BS that goes on in here.

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I didn't see it either but from reading the same old BS around here it sounds like another typical Charger Sleep Walk

oh and Tolbert got KOd

25. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Looks like Deano and AJ want Norv to stay, and that means he will be back, unless he tries to hire his brother as OC. :)

26. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152