1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Is this Scifres’ Pro Bowl year?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    The NFL will announce its Pro Bowl squads next Tuesday, and Chargers punter Mike Scifres is about the only person in the Bolts locker room that isn’t lobbying for the sixth-year pro to finally make his well-overdue first trip to Hawaii at season’s end.

“It would be good for other players and coaches around the league to pick you as one of the guys to represent the AFC,” Scifres said. “That’s great to have that, but it’s a team game. The main thing is what goes on as a group collectively. It’s not the individual things.”

Scifres enters Sunday’s game at Kansas City as the NFL leader in net punting average (42.3 yards per punt). He’s looking to join Dennis Partee (40.6 in 1971) and Paul Maguire (40.5 in 1960) as the only punters in NFL history to net more than 40 yards per punt in a season. Scifres’ previous single-season best in net average is 39.3, which he accomplished a year ago, and he’s also on pace to set a new personal best in gross average. In 2007 he grossed 46.1 yards per punt. Through 13 games, he’s at 46.8 this season.

“I make a (Pro Bowl) case for him every chance I get,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “He’s outstanding. He’s had a great year. He’s done everything we’ve asked. The field position that he’s managed for us in terms of getting us out of a hole when we’re backed up, obviously kicking the ball down inside the five. I haven’t been around anyone that does it as well as he does.”

Throughout his career, he’s developed a knack for pinning opponents deep inside their own territory. Only three of Scifres’ 42 punts this season have resulted in touchbacks, a number that defensive coordinator Ron Rivera can certainly appreciate.

“A punter like Mike is such a valuable tool,” Rivera said. “Any time a team has to go 90 yards or 80 yards to score it makes it harder on them. Eventually they’ll make a mistake.”

From a statistical standpoint, Scifres believes 2008 has been his best season, but his team’s experience has certainly kept him from celebrating a strong personal performance.

“It’s probably the best year I’ve had if you look numbers wise and the things I’ve done,” Scifres said. “The only thing I look at is that we’re 5-8 and we’re still battling for a playoff spot. That’s all that matter. The individual numbers, that’s not going to be my career. It doesn’t matter to me as much.”

Fan voting for the Pro Bowl concluded on Tuesday with Oakland’s Shane Lechler, who has previously been to three Pro Bowls, earning the top spot. Last week when the NFL released the top five vote getters at each position, Scifres was third behind Lechler and Tennessee’s Craig Hentrich. Fan ballots count for one-third of the voting, while players and coaches account for the other two thirds.

If players around the NFL appreciate Scifres efforts half as much as those in his own locker room, Scifres will be preparing his neck for a lei. A quick straw poll following Thursday’s practice showed that Scifres’ teammates overwhelming believe their punter should be headed to Hawaii.

“For guys to notice really means a lot,” Scifres said. “Punters and kickers aren’t usually guys that people talk about. I guess that says a lot about the guys on this team and how close we are as a group. We all pay attention to what each other does and care about what each other does. We’ll see what happens Tuesday, but it’s out of my control.”

2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2006
    SCIFRES RULES!!:abq1:
  3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    Scifres might be the only guy on the squad, except maybe for Jammer, who actually deserves based on the merits of the whole season.
  4. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Nov 29, 2007
    who gives a ****
  5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Aug 12, 2006
    Scifres wants to get recognised and respected. He told me himself he feels like he should go to Hawaii.

Fingers crossed for him. :tup:
    • Like Like x 1