1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

IS Vincent Jackson making EXCUSES already ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070817-9999-1s17chnotes.html

Injured Jackson won't excuse his fumble

By Kevin Acee

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 17, 2007
    Vincent Jackson didn't want to talk about it. That's not something a real football player does.
    But the fact is he had a dozen stitches in his right hand Saturday night. He had his thumb taped in tight to his big finger, and his hand was numb from a Novocain shot.

The right hand is the one in which he was holding the ball when he lost a fumble at the start of the second quarter.
    “Yeah,” he said. “But we do it so much it's got to be a conscious effort to hold onto the ball. I'm not going to talk about it – 'I've got this wound and this wound.' Go look at the offensive linemen's hands. Those guys have some problems right there. They look like meat grinders.”

Jackson, who last year against Oakland at Qualcomm Stadium finished a game despite the bone of his left thumb having popped through the skin, injured himself Sunday in pregame warm-ups. He felt a pain after making a catch, removed his glove and saw a tear in the webbing between his thumb and index finger. The stitches are still in.

No reverse on reason

There was some surprise the Chargers ran an end around in the first quarter against Seattle on Sunday – a play that resulted in an 11-yard loss when rookie receiver Buster Davis fumbled the handoff from Philip Rivers.
    John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and NBC analyst, said it was a bad idea to run such a play in the preseason. He seemed to think that because Davis was not used to taking handoffs and went as far as to indicate that type of trickery is suspect in the regular season.

Without being asked specifically about the validity of the play, coach Norv Turner defended it this week.

“I'm glad we ran the play,” he said. “If he's going to drop it, I'd rather have him do that than against Chicago in the opener. The way people play our running game, the way people overcommit trying to stop LT and Michael (Turner), it gives you some great opportunities for misdirection plays and reverses.

“The only thing that matters when we run a big play is we end up with the ball. Sometimes you get big plays out of them, sometimes you get 4 or 5 yards. But if we end up with the ball, then it's worth doing because we've got to protect our running game.”

Nuts 'n' Bolts

The Chargers Kickoff Dinner is at 5 p.m. on Aug. 28 at the Embarcadero Marina Park South. At the annual dinner, players are introduced, highlights are shown and the head coach and select players address the crowd. Individual tickets and table are available. For information, call (619) 682-3436, ext. 2105, or e-mail tpeterson@sdisc.com.
    The cover shoot for ESPN The Magazine's football preview issue yesterday was LaDainian Tomlinson's third this summer and second this week. He also has done photo shoots for the cover of The Sporting News and Men's Health.

Rookie linebacker Jyles Tucker, who suffered a concussion in Sunday's exhibition game, returned to practice yesterday. He will be re-evaluated again to see if he is cleared to play tomorrow.

Linebackers Matt Wilhelm (calf), Marques Harris (shoulder) and Anthony Waters (knee) and offensive lineman Erik Robertson (leg) missed practice. Wilhelm is out of his protective boot and should return to practice next week.............

Click on the link for more but there is not a whole lot more other than the margin stuff which is cool .......

2. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    With the money we pay him, he can buy new fingers!

No more excuses!

:icon_eek:

Oldie Out

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Doesn't sound like excuses to me? :icon_shrug:

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I didn't read any excuses in there .. Sounds to me more like he is trying to move on.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

QFE

:tup:

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If Jackson is NOT going to talk about it, why even mention "this wound and this wound" and then play off the linemen ?

If you are not going to talk about it then you don't.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_huh: :icon_huh: :icon_huh:

lucy, I thin he was sayin that he wasn't going to talk about "this wound or that"

:icon_shrug:

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Read the article title.....

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have a hard time understanding if someone says they are NOT going to talk about it and then references are made to not using excuses and then playing off the linemen.

Dude, if you are not going to talk about it, then you don't. You stop right there.

If anything, the dude should be saying, I need to make those plays. Period.

No sympathy ploys.

No excuses.

10. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    I don't know .. it sounded more like he was sick of getting the question.

11. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    1.) He's saying that he's not going to complain that "I've got this wound and this wound" as a reason why he fumbled.

2.) He also used the OL's hands as an example of people who play with gnarled hands the entire season, yet they get their jobs done.

So, no, he wasn't making an excuse. He said he wasn't going to use his cut (or any wound) as a reason he fumbled. He cited the OL's screwed up hands and how they dealt with it every game.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Oh, I read the title and I am not sold for the reasons I stated.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    But he just did and most buy it as sugar coating ....... :yes:

If you are not going to complain about it, then you don't. He just did in a very left handed manner.

14. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    I think you are reading WAY to much into it.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Dude
    He's not making excuses he's saying HE COULD use them as excuses BUT ISN'T.

16. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I don't care about words...I care about winning... :bolt:

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

No he didn't Trumpie. Read that part again, carefully.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It is the same as someone telling you, "don't take this personal", then they rip you a new asss as though the phrase "don't take this personal" is suppose to absolve them of their transgressions.

The dude says "I don't want to use excuses of injuries - go look at my linemen"

Well - he just did use an excuse in my book.

Anything other than "I need to make those plays" coming out of his mouth is BULLSHIIT.

I do not care how he prefaces his comments to absolve himself because it does not in my fan book.

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    You are misreading the article Trumpie. VJ stated he wasn't going to use "I've got this wound and this wound" as an excuse. He then cited how the OL are always playing with mangled hands, yet continue to get their jobs done.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I get what you are saying.

When VJ said I do not want to talk about it. Hit the brakes. Do not pass "GO". He did not. Black and white.

This is what happens.

21. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Jackson is injury prone just like Reche, period. Naanee and Osgood are the only WRs we have that never really get beat up.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Osgood sucks.

Naanee's our future H-Back. Maybe #4 WR as well.

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Trumpie bein Trumpie :tdown:

24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :rolleyes: :lol

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Mountain, meet Mole Hill :icon_rofl:

26. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    As I stated earlier in the week, it doesn't matter because Davis is going to make everyone forget about VJ.

27. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    He said he's not going to talk about (meaning not going to give excuses for the fumble) then explains that everyone has injuries, uses the OLmen as an example, but you still have to do your job.

Sure doesn't look like he was making excuses. Maybe you read it wrong Trumpie or read what you wanted to read either way I don't see any excuses being made by Jackson, I see them being made by the writer though.

28. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Regardless, with VJ out, our WR corp suddenly become very thin.

Who's going to replace him and how long is VJ out for ??? :no:

29. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    V.J. is a pinche sissy. :tdown:

30. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    thats what is sounded like to me